Used Millie-I bought it

Yesterday I had the opportunity to try out a 2002 Millie that is for sale. I have a few questions. Does anyone on the chat own a 2002 model? What upgrades have been made since these came out? What would be a fair price to pay?

I had tried out a 2005 Millie at a road show. It was really smooth to use and I was able to get pretty round circles and half decent feathers considering that it was my first time on a longarm. This 2002 felt really stiff and seemed like it needed to be strongarmed in order to get it to move. My circles and feathers were terrible! I realize that learning to successfully use these machines takes lots of practice. However, I was concerned that this one seemed so hard to control the movement. It still has the old brown wheels. I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or if maybe the owner just has them adjusted to be a little tight.

I've wanted an APQS machine for years. This could be a good buy for me, but in these hard economic times, I don't want to get one that I can't handle or that needs lots of new parts to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice.

Linda

Linda,

I think you're right in thinking that it may just be the wheels or the adjustment of the wheels that is making the 2002 Millie harder to control than the 2005. But short of changing the adjustments - or changing the wheels! - to see if that's all it is, you have no way of knowing for sure. There have been some changes, mostly cosmetic, since the 2002 was introduced, but not a lot.

Have you checked the recent list of used Millies available through APQS? It looks like there are still a couple of 2005 models available at $11,500, which is a good price.

You didn't say where you are located - you may have an APQS Sales Rep close to you who knows of other used machines in your area. Have you contacted him or her?

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to visit here often! We love the newbies, especially those willing to try feathers!!:P

I would ask the seller if it is possible to adjust the wheels some and see if that makes it better. If they are serious about selling the machine, I think they would accomodate you.

If that helps and you consider this machine, I would still recommend upgrading to the new wheels and softmount system.

You need to look at what this machine has vs what some of the other used ones are selling at now. Does it have the motorized feed? Cause that is an option now and not included with the used machines that APQS sells. It is a $1350.00 value. Does this machine have any other add ons? Casters, hydraulic lift, etc. What, if any, gadgets are included?

Hope this helps some.

All the wheels probably need to be replaced and adjusted.

I would not buy it unless it felt exactly the way you wanted it to.

I would consider a used machine from APQS then you would have a one year warranty.

If it's at a great price.....You could always send the head and carriage in and have APQS replace the wheels and do a soft mount. Soft mounts are blue squishy washers in between the head and the cross bars that have the wheels. Just have them look over the machine and see if anything needs to be fixed. It could be many things why it's stiff. Not level, frame too tight or too loose, dirty railing, bad wheel or wheels, etc., etc.

• 2 months later...

I want to thank Barb, Patty, and JoAnn for answering my earlier post. I decided to go ahead and purchase this machine. There were a few reasons for this. First and foremost was that I have wanted one for years and really couldn't justify spending the money on a new one when I'm not sure that I'll be going into business. Another reason was that it was local and I could try it out and pick it up to save on shipping. It came with the motorized feed, a Hartley fence and spool holders, and an extended base. I also felt that the price was fair. I haven't gotten to play with it as much as I would like. A few days after I decided to purchase and had put down a deposit, we left on a two week trip to the midwest to visit our daughter's family. We picked it up a day or two after we got home and my DH and DS set it up immediately. Then I managed to get the flu and have been under the weather for almost 3 weeks now. The little bit that I have played, it doesn't seem as stiff. I still think that I will look into the soft mounts and different wheels. This one still has the old brown wheels. Thanks again for your opinions.

Linda

Archived