Neutral Thread Color v. Color Thread

gable428

This is a constant decision for me. Do I use a neutral thread that will blend and just show off the texture in the quilting or do I add a color thread? I usually use something that blends. Well, this time I decided to use a color thread and wish I would have just stuck with what I'm used to instead of being "daring." What do you guys usually do? Blend or use colors that will show up more? Thank you!!

Gable, I usually do something in the middle.

Rainbows is my absolute favorite thread for this, unless of course it's an antique top or something like it. I can get a little bit of contrast and sparkle with the Rainbows, but it's thin enough, and if I choose the right color blend able enough, that it doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself.

That being said, if it's a mostly white/light colored antique or antique type quilt I just try and remember the "rule of thread". Dark fabric will handle/not show boo boos/ look nicer, with light thread than light fabric will handle dark thread. That can make all the difference in the world. I like to have a bit of contrast no matter what I do so the quilting shows.

Gee was that a run on answer or what? :P Don't know if it helps or answers your question on not though. LOL

One way to challenge yourself is to pick the "comfortable" color that matches or blends with the top. Then get out colors that are close but either a little darker or a little off color.

So if you choose a neutral beige, see what peach or sage green would do. Stay in the same intensity of color, just slide over a spot on the color wheel. Or if you like that beige, step up in intensity to taupe or a warmer light brown--or try a grey.

Puddle the thread across the top to see what it does on other colors in the quilt. Picking the thread is my favorite thing--pull out even the ones you may not think would work. A sage green works on a blue and yellow quilt beautifully--it reads blue on the yellow and yellow on the blue--it's amazing!!

Originally posted by gable428

This is a constant decision for me. Do I use a neutral thread that will blend and just show off the texture in the quilting or do I add a color thread? I usually use something that blends. Well, this time I decided to use a color thread and wish I would have just stuck with what I'm used to instead of being "daring." What do you guys usually do? Blend or use colors that will show up more? Thank you!!

I do the exact same thing!! I bought some Rainbows last year at MQS and haven't take them out of the wrapper. I think I'm going to try it....then I chicken out. I'm going to have to just close my eyes and do it.

Auditioning can be fun, but it can also be a train wreck.

Here's my thoughts for what they are worth...;)

IF the fabric is really really busy, and the quilting and the threads won't show reagardless of design, I pretty much just stick with a thread that will blend well or disappear into the fabric.

If the fabric is a lighter busy fabric I pick out a color in the fabric and start there with the audition....and it's surprising it may work or you may need to go lighter or darker with either that color family or a totally different color. And I also do as Linda suggested..the thread puddles...it simulates stippling/meandering so you do get an idea if its going to work.

IF the fabric is White/Ivory, I pick out whites and ivory to go on those spaces....if you get too dark (I.E. black, navy, red, greens) EVERY oops you have will show and it will look so crappy that you will take it out. I have used light greys, taupes, tans, pale blues, pinks on whites and ivory's and they done hurt or look bad. And again if its a solid color I match the threads to the color.

NOW if its a scrappy quilt or a quilt that the customer wants just an ALL over design, I usually depend on a Antique ivory or a light grey again auditioning to see which will be the better.

Like I said earlier it can be a train wreck, but play with it and don't decide two rows into it that it just isn't going to work, you will know within the first few 12 inch square of quilt and that's not to be if you need to frog....;):P

I'm another conservative thread color person. I just prefer the quilting to be the show and not the thread. I have stepped out of the box on a few that called for it but they are the exception. I did a quilt this week for a customer that was orange, green and white. I didn't care for the quilt at all. LOL neither did the customer. She won the blocks for our block of the month. Did I say that I am on the committee that does block of the month?! I didn't pick out this fabric though!!!! I'm not really a fan of orange for whatever reason. Anyway I had a lime green that I thought might work. My customer is just like me but she said yes give it a go. It really came out good and the thread still isn't glaring in your face because I used a thin thread. The quilt is so busy that the only place the thread even shows well is in the border. So in this case it worked out. We puddled a lot of colors on it and none of them really did much for it!

I do the puddling thing too. The thing to remember with Rainbows is that you absolutely CANNOT go by the way the thread looks on the cone. You have to puddle & drape it on the top.

If I have a quilt that has high contrasting fabrics (black/whites) I try to go for something in the middle, like was said earlier. What I love about Rainbows is that the right one will blend with both.

Here's an example.

post--13461901326924_thumb.jpg

Tracye, your quilting is absolutely gorgeous!

Mary Beth...

Originally posted by Mary Beth

....but sometimes I want to let my hair down...I am just afraid:)

You should just let your hair down, baby, and pull that thread out and take a walk on the wild side of quilting for a change! :P :cool::D:)

Thank you guys, but it's really not that bold or brave. It's the Rainbows! Because I'm a blab gut I'll show you one more example of why I say you can't go by the cone colors.

This is SO dark on the cone, but on the quilt you can hardly see it. You just see a little shine every now and then. Look way over to the left past that sashing. Where you see it on the ivory is a big blob of thread. The thread works equally well on the dark dark and on the ivory. I don't know if you can tell, but it's puddled all over that block.

I love this thread. :P It makes me looks good (and bold and brave, love that)!

post--13461901329502_thumb.jpg

Tracye, I have a question about Rainbows...

What do you use for frogging it to a point where you can tie off and bury? I try really hard not to shred the thread as I frog to the point to bury and sometimes (most times) my thread looks so shredded by the time it's long enough to grab on to. Any tried and true tips, advice and secrets on the best tool to frog Rainbows so your tail is long enough to tie off?

Shana, I sent you an email too, but thought I'd go ahead and post it here too in case anyone was waiting for any words of wisdom from me.... ROTFLMAO!!!!!:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Okay, I know this won't surprise any of you, but I'm bad. I only tie/bury on show quilts..... sometimes.....well....almost never actually. I found that most of the time that I do it's a bigger blob of thread than when I just take some extra stitches.

I don't even tie off Rainbows, just take enough tiny stitches that I don't feel it tug the tails anymore. I have to say that even with all the wear and tear quilts in my house get I've never had any stitches come out. I've had the fabric wear out, but no pulling loose from a start.

The only tools I use for frogging are the weird tweezers that came with my crystals. The ones with the long nose? and the squizzers(?) ripper? http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3227&PRODID=prd33823

I've found when I try to tie off any thread that the top and bottom threads are not even, at the same place. Does that make sense? I've watched SS's you tube videos and she makes it looks so easy. It just doesn't work/look/act the same way when I do it. So I just take a bunch of stitches.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. I'm soo chatty, you'd think I could be helpful and really know something too. :D:P:D LOL!

When using variegated threads (my absolute favorite thread is Superior's Rainbows), I've found that my first instinct of matching the thread colors with the fabric colors is not always best. For example, black/white thread is not always best on a black/white quilt, because you can't see the black thread on the black fabric and end up with little sections of white thread, then nothing, then white thread, and vice versa on the white. You need a little bit of contrast if you want it to show. So - maybe a thread that has grey and cream - this will show on both the black and the white.

I think someone else mentioned - if the fabrics are busy, just go with a neutral - nothing will show.

The advice on lighter thread for lighter fabrics is right on - I wish there were more threads in the lighter colors, but there aren't many - I think the bold bright colors must sell better! :)

Julia

Back to the frogging above and what to use: I use a dental pick. I got a whole set off e-bay. Came in a plastic case that held 8 (i think) different shaped and sized dental picks. I use the curved pick, and it allows me to "ever so slightly" get under the stitch and lift that thread on up. This keeps the thread from fraying up. I LOVE it!

Here's a link to one set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Pc-Dental-Hobby-Home-Craft-Stainless-Steel-Pick-Set_W0QQitemZ310126108932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item310126108932&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Archived