How to...deal with "batting pokies"

I would like some input on how to get rid of batting poking though the backing fabric on the back of a quilt. I use 80/20 batting. Cotton thread in the machine. I played with the tension, changed the needle and put a smaller needle in. But, nothing helped. They are small and other here and there. Does anyone have information that would help get rid of the pokies? Please Reply.

I've had the same experience and it is very frustrating. The information I gleaned from my longarm group is that first of all, after washing, the pokies will draw up into the quilt, and I explained this to the customer. Second, batting and fabric, though can be top quality at the register, doesn't always behave in that manner. My experience was that the backing was a center panel framed with another fabric. The pokies came through on the panel frame, not on the center panel itself. Have a good day!

Gee's you did everything that I would have done...the only two times that I have had ANY trouble with pokies was first time the needle had a broken tip and it was causing the batting to be pushed through the material as it went through the 80/20, but as soon as I heard the popping sound I knew what that was, and the needle was changed right away, and the other time was with the black hobbs poly and no matter what I did the batting was being pushed through so never really figured out what was the matter there. Always thought it was the material as it was pretty thin and the batting rather stiff. Hope you get the right answers....I too am wondering what to do.

Bonnie

Hi everyone

I don't suffer pokies anymore. I check that my needle has no burrs, use a backing fabric that is not too loosely woven and a batting with a scrim, placing the scrim side towards the backing fabric.

The backing I always use is Matilda's Own which is available in the USA from Kingsmen.

Hope this helps

Sue in Australia

I have that problem occ. with Warm and Natural/white and used to now and then with the 80/20 (a fav. batting here). Are you loading the batting on with the right side up?

How tight do you have your rollers? If you are doing the army bounce a quarter off the quilt, it's waayyy too tight and you will have pokies and other probems. Loosen that quilt up to where it would make a nice kitty bed and the pokies go away, tension problems are less and quilt will lie nicely when it's finished. Used to do the bounce a quarter. jeri

Yes, I am loading the 80/20 batting with the right side up. Would it work better if I loaded the batting with the wrong side up? I do not think I have the rollers to tight. I do not do a quarter test. I do know that ,that is too tight. Thanks, for the input.

Pam

Hi Pam

If you are loading the batting scrim side down which prevents pokies and or bearding and you are stilll seeing evidance of pokies it could be that you have some bad needles. Sometimes more then one needle in a package has a burr. I would VERY carefully check for this before doing too much more quilting.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Archived