Linda R's Crosshatch rulers

In my recent post "Most recent customer quilt" I mentioned that I did the crosshatching with Linda R's CH rulers. I took a picture of them to show you as she doesn't have a picture up on her website of them yet. So here are both of them so that you can see them. They just clip onto the leveler bar by the take up roller and they will slide side to side as you move across the quilt. Of course you only use one at a time but they come as a set. If you are interested, be sure to do a "Search" for Linda R and go to her website or just e-mail her and she will get in touch with you if you would like them.

I still have the transparent pink colored tape on them for my measurement, but they come clear. OK, here it is....

2758226440094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

I can't tell you how much time these saved me on that last quilt. They are truly a time saver and for me also my sanity!!:cool:

Patty Jo

Thanks for the picture, I wonder if you could work out a sequence where you could use both rulers together to move around the quilt so that you didnt have to tie off on every line. Just a thought, might work if the block was area wasnt too large. Oh well it will be fun experimenting.

Thanks for posting the photo Patty Jo--I love your pretty pink tape!

Just a hint for using the rulers--if you are stitching behind applique, or inside a block, SID around the area, stitch your first diagonal---nudge the rulers to the side an inch or so, sneak down the seam until you are at the next spacing, nudge the ruler back to the foot, and stitch back in the opposite direction. All stitching on one slant is done before you do the opposite angle. You will need to hop over the applique, but you can drag the thread across if it is a fair distance, begin at the other side, and when finished with all lines in one slant, cut thet thread and bury. I am bad and just secure the thread and clip--I don't do show quilts!!

I hope this helps with stitching sequences and will speed things up for you.

thanks Linda

Did my check make it there yet? Maybe not till sat or Monday, WA is a long way from SC and I forgot to mail monday so didnt go out till 'tues. Oh well it will give Dennis a few extra days to fill his orders. Poor guy must be out straight lately.

I agree with PattyJo these rulers rock big time. for those of you who cannot hang on to rulers and move the machine at the same time these are for you. I am missing part of my right thumb (don't ask) and I get perfect lines each time.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I tried my rulers last night on a very small block, just to test them out. I used tape to mark where I needed to place the ruler next, like Patty-Jo shows in her picture. So far, so good.

The next quilt I put on (actually, I need to put it back on the frame) needs just some cross hatching in 4 large triangle areas and it will be finished. That will be a better test for me, but I think these are going to become one of my favorite toys. Thanks Linda and Dennis.

:o

I am thinking I need Linda's cross hatch rulers -- and am interested in the topper, also. I tried the e-mail address for Linda, have had no reply. Also followed thru on the 'topper' website, left a contact message but must be doing something wrong, can someone help, please!

Patsy in NE

Hi--if this is Patsy B. I did receive an email from you and replied on the 13th. I received notification that it did not go through and tried to contact you again. I will try once more. Ok--I just forwarded the same email again--we'll see if it will go through. In the meantime, I will send you a U2U--please check your U2U inbox.:) and thanks for your patience.

Update--I re-sent the original email and it was rejected as "recipient address rejected".

Patsy--email me your phone # and I will call you.

Isn't this fun!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Love, love, love these rulers.

I marked the quilt with these rulers while it was on the machine then I used the rulers to quilt it.

I have never done such perfect crosshatching EVER.

The only thing that would make them more perfect would be 1/4 inch lines engraved on the ruler, I know I can tape it off, but if they were there I would happily pay more for the rulers.

These rulers are wonderful.

Here's her website and phone number. They are not on the website so you have to call her.

$49.00 plus shipping

http://www.topperquilttools.com/

Linda's number 360-491-2013

Happy customer

JoAnn

OK, MB - what is a "spuky" picture. If the truth were know, and I'll tell you, this pic was taken about 15 years ago and I was clowning for the camera. I thought that all of you needed to see the true me. I've been a wild woman for a long time and I'm not about to change now!!! Just got a bit more gray in the mane!!!:cool::cool:

Shhhh! Please--don't let Dennis see these posts about the etched marks on the rulers!!!! He has been needing a reason to purchase a laser engraver!! We would have to add onto the garage to fit it in! Seriously, a glass or plastics place will etch the rulers for you, but it might be pricey. I will casually ask Dennis the best way to accomplish this without spending $12000 on a laser engraver.:P There must be an easy homemade solution. Maybe a Moto tool with a sharp point--use a thin metal ruler taped to the acrylic as a guide.

Ok, I asked Den and Mr. Brilliant says--Mark the top of the ruler with a Sharpie--isn't he smart!! I would do a dashed or dotted line so you can see your stitching in between the dashes. Or--mark the bottom of the ruler for more accuracy and --so the Sharpie won't rub off on the quilt--- cover the dashed lines with Scotch tape. He is such a know-it-all!!:cool:

Remove the Sharpie marks possibly with alcohol--he will test his theory of the Sharpie removal tomorrow--he says it may take acetone and wants to make sure the acrylic doesn't get foggy. But this way means you can mark whatever spacing you need for a specific application and then remove the marks when finished.

I will keep you posted on the on-going adventures in Ruler Land! It has been quite interesting!

What about the glass etching paste that you can purchase at a craft store? Tape off what you want etched, put the paste on, let it sit, rinse and it should be there. Right? Or could you tape off and then carefully ruff up what you want as a line? Gonna have to order some, I knew it, I'm hooked.

Sheryl your thought is on, but the chemical compound isn't. The glass etching stuff is for glass only....it will melt polymers

and will make nasty marks that will continue to melt even after the compound it removed....it will soften up the plastics and continue to keep them soft and may even continue to eat at it until its all gone. The etching compound will act like a strong acid and just contiinue to eat, and eat, and eat.

Ok ladies, if Linda doesn't get Denny a CNC/Engraving machine you can use the same hand engraver's that you buy to mark your valuables. I've used them to draw pictures on my motorcycle windshields. Most plastics can be marked with anything sharp.

Archived