Burgoyne Surrounded

Okay! I think I need a brain transplant?! Can I have part of yours?? :o HOW do you come up with ideas like this?!

This is the first BS quilt I've seen that I even looked at twice. This one I'll look at MANY times. Maybe some of your genius will seep into my brain. I can hope, can't I?!

I'm not a template kind of gal, but I may just have to get me a judalator; after I get that brain transplant of course!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to come too and bring my VW camper I'll even let someone sleep in my pop top. Your quilting is too fantastic. I think they better start looking at you for a book or teaching. It is over the top and I can't even imagine how long it took. I can't even imagine a price for this kind of work. I hope you can enter it in some shows and I mean BIG shows. cheryll

Absolutely a winner!!! There is still time to enter quilts into the Houston (May 11th, I think) or the Nashville AQS summer show. It would definitely win a prize. Convince your customer to try. It would be a shame if more people couldn't admire and see such a work of art.

I'm at a loss for words you guys are all so kind. I just thought it came out pretty good. I would never want to show it other than a local show because it has many stops and starts. Will that rule ever change in large competitions? Maybe someday.

This is fabulous! It may not be what she wanted, but I can't see how she can't like it! What size is this quilt? You did a fabulous job and all freehand. WOW!!! I could not do as well even if I was drawing on graft paper with rulers and any other tools you thought might help me.:P

Originally posted by Jhend

I'm at a loss for words you guys are all so kind. I just thought it came out pretty good. I would never want to show it other than a local show because it has many stops and starts. Will that rule ever change in large competitions? Maybe someday.

Joanne, re: your starts/stops. Normally for you, do you tie and bury or do you just take tiny stitches to secure the starts/stops? The reason I ask is I am still learning from the masters-- you are definitely a master. :)

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I wanna be a quilter like you some day. What you do is why I appreciate quilting. Even if I don't get paid for doing these detailed custom types for a paying customer; I would gladly do this quilt for me, for my own thrill cuz that's what I want to create. Stuff like what you do... Thanks!

Shana,

I've seen your work and you don't give yourself enough credit. Your work is beautiful. I have to say that my customer picked it up last night and did love it. She is a quilt appraiser and does lectures on quilt history. I guess this quilt was made by her own technique which she is hoping to publish. She made a smaller version which she hand quilted and will be using both in a presentation on Adirondack quilting pointing out the differences of modern machine quilting and hand quilting. Enough of that.

Oh your question, I rarely tie my stops and starts and I do 3-4 tiny stitches and back one. On this because ARC thread is somewhat slippery (love this thread) and it was matching thread, I would just run it really fast at the end to lock. Otherwise I'd still be quilting it doing the up down method.

I really think how we do our quilting is dependant upon what type of show you are putting quilts in. Machine quilter's shows are much more likely to see how we stop and start vs. open quilt shows. What do you think?

I have admired Ronda Beyer's work forever. Then when I read this post, I knew I needed to "study" her work too :) So I went looking for pictures on the internet of some of her work...I can't find any :( I found her blog, and all I see is family pictures...I feel like I am snooping into her family photos :) Can anyone tell me if she has her work posted any where...or do I need to dig out all of my longarm magazines and find her that way.

WOW Joanne. That is absolutely gorgeous! Ronda's quilts are great inspiration but you did a great job with this one!

For many of you asking about curved crosshatching I just finished writing an article that will be in the next Unlimited Possibilities (the longarm magazine at www.upquiltmag.com). I teach how to fit curved crosshatching into any open space.

Maybe Joanne should have written my article ;)

So I have been staring at this quilt every day.........my husband thinks I have lost it!

I have two things to say:

1. It is drop dead gorgeous, so beautiful and of course the quilting makes the quilt.

2. It is an inspiration to people like me.....the more I stare at it, the more I can see elements that I could actually do!!! It is just having the smarts to put it all together.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us, I have bookmarked it and will probably stare at it for another week or so, then I will break down and order the ruler and keep oggling it some more to get some more ideas.

Helen

Your quilting is stunning! It makes me want to touch it!--bad bad bad girl (me) I can't wait to look up judalators....BUT, I think it's like the gal at the hair place says, "Jane, it's not the product or the tool, it's the person using them!" Surely this quilt needs to be seen at shows!!

Archived