Short Lived Employment

Well, looks like I will be a full-time quilter again sometime today. Garmin is starting lay-offs beginning with 6% of the work force. Since the last training class was right after mine, and there were 15 people in the class....I'm guessing my head is on the chopping block :) I was very fortunate to have the job for a while, and was able to pay off a few bills while I was working. Told DH last night, me, him, and Uncle Dave (that is Jen's name for Dave Ramsey-she is a faithful follower) are going to become very good friends ;) .

I have enough quilts to keep me busy for a while. This will free up my time for MQS :cool: So I can volunteer to do some things now. That I am excited about!!

There are so many people out there going though the same thing right now. The really good thing for me is that DH still has his job and looks like he is not going any where.

Just thought I would share.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garmin says that when you are promoted or given the "good" hours, they base it on performance, attendance, then senority...everything is good except senority for me. Any Linzi you are right. I was trying to stay positive, and last night I was very upbeat and told DH that I may not be let go...he is Mr. Positive, but he looked and me and almost laughed and said, "Who are you trying to kid...you are out the door!" Actually, I'm kind of excited...I didn't want to go to work in the first place :D Annnnddd...Linzi...you are so smart....I do need to stay off the internet....soooo, I'm moving my computer out of the basement/studio/dungeon....and remaking a small spare bedroom into the "office". Now, I will have to try not to run up and down stairs all day - checking the chat....at least I will be skinny :D:P

Mary Beth,

If you do get laid off maybe this is a sign that you should be quilting. :) I have been on the surviving side of layoff and DH has been on both sides. It is no fun for either side, the people that keep their jobs feel guilt about it and the people that lose their jobs obviously have a lot to deal with. I am praying that this will end up being a positive thing for you in the long run.

Both times my DH was actually laid off ended up being good in the long run. Better jobs, better pay and with the last one even better hours.

I hope that you either get enough business to quilt full time and make ends meet or that there is a better job waiting for you down the road.

Mary Beth,

I am going to be watching my email for something from you about where you are going to volunteer at MQS!!!

I am so sorry about the lay off. These are hard times for everyone. You were good to pay off bills. I know me too well, I'll buy a couple of things I have been wanting, then work on bills. I admire you for that.

I agree, your don't have a solid layoff notice, you just might not be on the chopping block either. It does happen that they keep a good employee over someone who isn't performing well regardless of senority. I will be glad with whatever they decide as long as your happy as well....its hard knowing you have quilts, not really wanting to go back to work and then decide you like your job and know this....I can see where the mixed emotions would really set in.

but like Cheryl said whatever happens its in the higher powers hands and maybe its a sign that you should be quilting instead of a full time job....you are over your quilty burnout, and now you can approach it with a different outlook on it and not burn out ever or as fast the second time.

I'm personally looking forward to your new retirement...sadly to say...I miss our chitty chats.....my hill gets lonely sometimes, not often, but you can tell when I need company....I'm on the phone..

Mary Beth what ever should happen will happen (aren't we just so tried of that expression? But its true).

If you do go back to quilting for hire SET NEW RULES! Make it yours again and stick to your guns (I know hard to do). Look at it this way you might be given a chance to start fresh, you know what wore you down and can make a great big attempt to fix it. Keep it fun and enjoyable. Most important keep the control of YOUR business and time.

Best of luck which ever the way this turns out.

Well, MB, you did Uncle Dave proud by paying off bills while you were working. Very smart to not blow the money. Without Uncle Dave, my DH and I would be severely in debt and I would have never gotten my Millie, nor him his embroidery machines.

And IF you get laid off, big "IF," you still have quilting to fall back on. That's more than most have; plus, you'll be able to collect unemployment for awhile to help out with even more bills.

I found that when I was home during the recovery after my surgery, I had to limit my computer access. Its so easy to spend HOURS chatting on this site and looking up quilty stuff. I ended up setting time limits and making myself stick to them--not easy as I'm an e-mail junkie:D

Keep those fingers crossed; you're a good employee and Garmin knows it!

LOVE Dave Ramsey! I'm sorry about the layoff, happy for the blessing of quilts to quilt!

"Uncle Dave" pretty much saved me from complete ruin when I lost everything not long ago! He's a genius and isn't it amazing how you really don't "have to keep up with the Joneses"... In this economy, I think quilting is a great way to make a living since we all have to go back to the basics!

and like the others have said, maybe you'll get a reprieve!

MB, you've been missed!

As Bonnie said, you may not get laid off....but it might not be a bad thing either.

You can get back to quilting full time. I'm with the rest of you, I need to spend less time on the computer (this chat) and more time quilting. I'm just not that disciplined.

If I spent more time quilting and less time chatting I just might get good.

Thank you all for your nice comments. It is a scary thing knowing you will be called in for the "news" I just wish they would get on with it! HR is suppose to be here at 12:30 central time...to start the proceedings. I hope I am not getting excited for nothing. I don't mean to take this lightly, because it is a very serious thing with everyone losing thier jobs. I am just ready to go on....

I am going to take a close look at my business. I have a plan to mail some information out to my customers and maybe that will help with reviving some old customers. Otherwise, I have some other ideas for money makers with my machine...we will see.

Wow, it is getting scary out there. Mary Beth, hang in there. I planned on quitting my day job this spring but am going to stay with it awhile. It is scary right now and I have a good job with the County with good benefits. I'm thinking I better commute for awhile when I move to the lake and hang on to this job. At least until the economy gets to looking better. I will continue to take any quilts I get in to build my business up so hopefully someday I can go full time quilting. We'll see what happens??

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I am going to take a close look at my business. I have a plan to mail some information out to my customers and maybe that will help with reviving some old customers. Otherwise, I have some other ideas for money makers with my machine...we will see.

Dear Mary Beth, you have the right attitude. One door shuts, another opens...it's all in how you see it. We all need to be flexibile in our way of thinking in changing times. (((sending hugs)))

Shana

Wow, making boxes as fast as they can...sounds like they are going to really clean house today. Best of wishes for you. Don't let your quilting customers take over all of your free time, grandmas have 'obligations' too. Will be thinking of you in my prayers.

I have to say....this is the worst thing...I have gone through a layoff before, but this one...last time they called us all into a conferece room and cut us all loose at once. This time, each person comes out, packs their desk up, tells their co-workers how much they will truely miss them, tears fly...and then they are gone. We are each just waiting for the ball to drop....

Archived