Short Lived Employment

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won't know about Jen until after 3 pm. She works the night shift, here at this building...so I will see her, we will know shortly.

Also, we were told that this could take some time. So even if I don't get it today...could be tomorrow....could be the next day. May not be at all. The waiting is driving everyone crazy.

MB, I think you're right. The hardest part is the way they're doing this. Calling you in one at a time has to have everyone there stressing out. With County jobs, you find out you're getting laid off and then have 30 more days to work before it actually happens.

Keep us posted...we're all on pins and needles waiting with you.

argggg... how inhuman....they should just round you all up that are going and as you said cut you loose at the same time....Those that are leaving are they being esorted to their desks so that they can't take information with them and then esorted to the door. If yes, that is why you aren't all getting cut at the same time, they can't have that many eyes watching everyone. Well, let us know soon, I think we are all sitting here waiting as you are.

my husband went to work today and was walked out the door on a lay off at USBank, one of many, many employees. USBank did not take any federal bailout monies, is financially sound, but their stock dropped precipitously. It seems more a knee-jerk reaction than actual need.

The last time my husband lost his job was after 9/11, he is a project manager. 22 months to find a job. We had two kids in college and a daughter getting married. Luckily, the kid's college funds were already saved and $10,000 did the wedding (too much but that's another long story...she married a rich man's son...my son-in-law the jerk...nother long story)

I'll have to teach him to quilt and be useful.

MB. It's 3:45 EST and I am just now reading this. Man! These are scarey times! I'm glad God is in controll!!! SOMEBODY HAS to be!! Isn't it reassuring to know that God is not up in heaven wringing His hands and wondering what He is going to do?! We CAN trust in our God! Let us know what happens. linda

I just got on-line--MB, how anxious you must be, both for you and for Jen!

Arrrrgggghhh!

I think we better start a longarm commune! All dis-placed/newly-divorced/widowed quilters need to lease a big ol' warehouse and bring all their machines. Hire someone to handle the huge internet following you would get from all the magazine and newspaper articles about the "quilter's commune", hire a housekeeper/cook and there ya go!!

So, which state should this be located in? Somewhere close to a big machine-stitching show. Have any ideas, Mary Beth?

Good luck and I am sending my prayers that whatever happens is exactly what you need to happen. Love ya!

Holy cow!! I'm nervous just reading the posts. Today in the local paper, Rapid City, Merilot cabinet co. is closing its doors and 157 people will be out of work. They have already laid some off a couple of months ago. Another employer, SCI, closed also. Someone needs to tell our mayor that his ads on the radio about the strong economy in RC are as good as p----ing in the wind!!! What a knothead!!

The daft thing with the security excuse is that people already know there is a risk they are going. If they are dishonest they had plenty of time to take whatever they wanted. There is no point in this drawn out process at all. It's even costing the company more money, they are paying people they are about to lay off, and no one can give their best while waiting for the axe to fall. I'm sorry but it's just plain stupid, and it does make me very angry. This is exactly why I left the rat race to make my own way. I can't accept corporate mentality.

I hope it's resolved soon. If you are laid off it may be the best in the long run.

Ferret

My institute did it one by one too but thankfully it was only one long day! I can't imagine going through this for days! It affected those left for a long time. It was right before Christmas too. I know there is no good time to do this but boy I felt for those let go and there were so many that were so stressed because they thought they were next. Ferret is right just announce it and be done!

Being laid off is a very scary thought!

We were told last September that we would be finishing at the end of December. We were given our payout figures, and the very next day, we were all asked if we could work overtime. It's been extra hours and overtime since then!! Go figure!! :o

We were then told we would finish end of January and then February, but my unit is still here and we are all so over the waiting.... we were/are a very close knit unit and we have lost so many good friends!!

I really feel for those that are the main income earners......... we can survive on Geoff's income......... it ain't pretty but we can manage to cover all the bills, mortgage and still eat!;)

My thoughts go out to all who are in the same predicament.

Mary Beth.......... you are lucky to have a recourse option as far as the quilting is concerned, I know you will be fine. Who knows, with Mary Beth at home, we are going to have a lot more interesting stories to look forward to (like garage ceiling renovations etc;))

Regards to all my quilting friends,

You guys just don't forget the garage do you :D:P

As much as I hate to say this, tomorrow will be a repeat of today. It is just so hard on your nervous system.

A man that befriended me the first day I was there...and a very, very nice person I might add, was let go this afternoon. He kept encouraging me today, then I watched them lead him into "the room". I hate this.

Yes, I am so very lucky to have my quilting to fall back on. I was going through such burnout when I landed this job, so it was good to get away from the dungeon on a daily basis, but I am ready to get back to it.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I don't mean to drag this out and make it dramatic...it just is. Sorry for all the drama.

Yep, the round barn. Sandra, that was my first thought when I read Linda's post.:P Just probably wouldn't be big enough.

Years ago when I was working, I told a table full of ladies at break one night that I needed to buy a big ol' house and let it be a home for unhappy women. They all laughed and one lady said that it would take a mighty big house!:P

Mary Beth, I really feel for you. The waiting game would be horrid. This whole economy thing is so scarey. There are so many people losing their homes and their jobs. And the sad part is I don't think that there is a "fix" for the problem any time soon.

Archived