Re-loading quilt for borders?

jakrnsewing

hello I just watched a video by Donita Reeve (looks older) but to do the borders she re-loads the quilt...she stitches the top border and does stitch in the ditch on her sashings then takes the quilt off and reloads it to quilt the now side borders and she also completes her blocks...I am new to longarm quilting but nobody has ever told me you do this makes sense to get a nice design but seems like a lot of work. I also have another question...when using a thicker thread on top I belive it was a 30 wt...with a 40 weight in the bobbin my back had top thread pulled through in spots can I use the smaller thread in the bobbin and just adjust the bobbin tension would that be the standard thing to do because the back of my stitches don't look so good. thanks Jackie

Jackie,

I was reluctant to turn a quilt, too. But one quilt I had to turn twice because I wanted to freehand stars that I could not manage to do sideways. It worked fine and was not a lot of work. I quilted all that I could before doing the turning. I used extra pins to keep the unquilted areas in place while turning. I wouldn't even call the turning quilt tedious...not when it can be done in about 15 minutes!

As to your thread question: I routinely use heavier variegated thread on top and prewound bobbins that have lighter thread (not usually the other way around, like you did). I adjust both tensions till I have a stitch I am happy with. In general you have some extra backing and batting along the sides of your quilt. Use that space, pinning a piece of fabric on top, to play with thread and tension.

Linda/9patch

Jackie,

I too am just learning about border. so I cant help you with that , But as for as threads. I have very good top and bottom tenson with the bottom line thread. I have used the 30wt. 40wt and I think it was 50wt with the bottom line thread ( from Superior) and never had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Yolanda

Hi Jackie,

It isn't always necessary to reload to do a side border. It really depends on the design. Most of the time I am able to do them without reloading. Some designs can be done as you go. Others look better if you don't stop and start. Even with these, many times it is possible to quilt, needle down, roll, quilt, needle down, roll and so on. It is important to pin baste any large areas you plan to do later, whether you turn or needle down/roll.

Kay

Hi Jackie,

When I do borders, I always turn the quilt, with the exception of a meander or stipple. It is easier for me to sew a design in one pass R to L, or L to R. I have Donitas Videos and have followed her method, yes it is a bit more work, but with the stabilized quilt you get much better results, I think.

Also, if you make the first pass and the quilt is completely stabilized, you can take it off and put it aside to finish later if necessary.

I also like the way all the SID "frames" your block and border designs. I hate to see a quilt that is supposed to be Custom, but has no SID, it just doesn't look finished. IMHO.

Patty

I also turn the quilt to do the side borders. I make it a point to sketch out the direction of the quilting design so that I don't make a mistake once it is turned. I usually do the top, by the time I reach the bottom, I don't quite remember what the top looked like, so the sketch helps me.

Cynthia

That is the real pitfall of turning a quilt....not recalling exactly how the first areas were quilted. I use my digital camera to take pictures of areas that will be hidden as I move or turn a quilt. This has really helped, along with the sketches that Cynthia mentioned.

Linda/9patch

I turned one quilt in my quilting career and decided I would never turn another one. I thought 7 years ago that I was the only quilter that didn't turn a quilt and was doing it wrong. I just developed a lot of free motion borders that I can do sideways and backwards and which ever way I needed to go. Some have built in stop and start areas for hiding the starts and stops. I teach these in my classes but I guess I just want you to know that you don't have to turn a quilt if you don't want to . Golden threads paper can be used down the sides if it is a panto design. Turning a quilt would take too long and just takes the fun out of it.

DeLoa Jones

APQS representative Michigan

Millenium, Freedom, Liberty Discovery

Archived