IQ pictures for Meg Marsh

victoriasews

Meg,

You asked for IQ pics on the Yahoo groups. I have trouble navigating Yahoo group so I'm posting the pics you asked for here. There are 3 cords to plug into a strip. You can see mine in the attached photos. Those are in the back of the machine so they are not in your way. I took a picture of the front with the IQ tablet attached. That's all there is for cords and attachments. Hope that helps.

Viki

post--13461901392257_thumb.jpg

One cord is from the machine. I leave the IQ on when I freehand because I basically freehand something on every quilt I do except for pantographs and it is only a one button touch and a couple of seconds to switch back and forth from IQ to manual. I find it is no problem at all freehanding with the IQ weight. When it was first put on, I thought it would be a problem, but it really isn't at all. If you don't have edgerider wheels, you will find the wheels, which come with the machine, more than make up for the weight. I'm finding I use the IQ much more than I thought I would.

The only problem I seem to have with the IQ, is not having a really comprehensive hard copy manual. There is so much info the rep gives you in a short time, and even though I watched all the videos, I just couldn't remember it all. Once I emailed about setting the speed because I had longer stitches in spots. I was told she couldn't believe I didn't know about that setting. I still haven't figured out how to really decide how to set the figures. She gave a general number to use but I don't know what the 2 settings do. I suppose whenever I find some time, I'll just put on a practice piece and keep changing the numbers to see what they do. There are a couple of hard copy manuals to download but they often are not detailed enough for me. The videos are wonderful, just hard to always go bring one up while trying to work at the machine and go back and forth from video to machine. A detailed manual would be so much more helpful.

Let me say, though, the IQ is so very user friendly and quick to pick up. Rarely do I run into a snag and that is mainly because computers and I don't speak the same language. Oh, to be a geek would be nice!

Thanks for the answers Viki. I am always admiring pictures that you are posting and study them carefully because I know they are a combination of computerized and freehand. What I didn't know what that you were using Intelliquilter.

It's also nice to hear some feedback on the weight and cords from someone using the same type of machine.

I read on the Yahoo site this morning that someone is replacing the wheels. Why would you need to replace a wheel? Does it wear down with use? How often do you need to replace them?

Meg - I've looked at all of the systems in the past year or so. I want to do a lot of freehand/computerized combined and switch between them easily and quickly. I don't want to give up my Millie so that limits me somewhat as to which system I can use. I don't want cords hanging all over the place. I don't want extra drag on the machine for cords or extra weight. I want to easily combine patterns and edit them. I want to digitize my own patterns by recording them as I stitch. I don't want to use a keyboard to move the machine into position before I start stitching. Maybe I'm just too picky. Intelliquilter seems to fit the bill pretty well at the moment. Quilt Studio is also in the running.

Debbi

Debbi,

From the picture on the APQS home page, it looks as if the new Quilt Studio will be a separate computer/screen. IQ seems to be the only all in one unit. Plus the cost is less. Maybe not less in the end - with IQ you need to purchase you own program for designing (I already have Pre-Design) and work on your own computer. So maybe, it all averages out. I am so limited on space - don't know where I could possibly put a computer and screen - IQ just sits on top of the machine. I am in a condo both in California and Washington and it has been a real push just to get a 10' table!! I know with IQ I would loose 6 - 8" of quilting - but honestly as long as I can still do a queen size quilt, I will be happy. I will have to learn to be creative some day and figure out how to do a King by shifting the quilt..........You loose a lot more when using the small templates of CL which I have and love. Plus you can take it to the couch and work on things while watching TV.

Archived