Don't Let It Happen to You

It's not just the flywheel hole that sucks up the thread, ladies! The takeup lever hole is also vulnerable. I was stitching a week or so ago - demonstrating to a friend, of course!:D - and the rainbow thread I was playing with broke (my fault, not the thread's) and got sucked into that slot. So watch that one, too!!

Hi Bobbie,

I had that happen while doing a pantograph with Rainbow thread!:( It was awful! I have since purchased a Flywheel cover from APQS for my machine. The only thing I don't like about the cover is it's more or less permanent. It has this sticky foam to attach it to the machine and if I want it off I have to pry it loose. :( Then press it back on. I also had it off center just a bit one day and it was rubbing on the flywheel and turning the edges of it black---I didn't realize this was happening until some black rubbed off on my finger when I was threading the machine and had rested my left hand on the left side of the machine. On my Ultimate II the flywheel is exposed on both sides of the machine. What a mess...now I have the cover centered perfectly I think.....:o

Anyway, it was quite a mess when the thread sucked into the flywheel and wound around things inside. I was concentrating so hard on the laser I didn't notice the Rainbow thread had broke---I don't know what kind of cover you are looking for, but do get one. It will ease your mind, and certainly avoid any damage to your machine.

The flywheel cover can certainly be a blessing!

Just a quick note...if your fly wheel cover is of the "adhesive" type, the next time you pry it off, use two small sticky "Velcro" strips in place of the adhesive strips. Then you can get it off when you want to, and reposition it as needed.

Of course, press it firmly in place so it holds as you quilt.

And just so you all feel better, I'll tell a story on the APQS gang from a few years ago...

We were working in the APQS booth at Paducah when one of the machine's needles moved more and more slowly into the "up" or "down" mode. The guys were adjusting lots of circuit board screws until one of us finally piped up and said, "It really sounds like it's not the motor, but that thread is wrapped in the fly wheel."

Yep, probably a cone's worth over the course of the trade show. That's probably when the fly wheel cover gained instant popularity! So it happens to all of us at some time or another:)

Archived