squaring up the backing.

Hi Diane and Mary Beth,

If there is a simple way to do it, I haven't learned it yet, but I've tried a couple of ways.

Usually, I fold the backing in half length-wise and then move one half of it back and forth until I get a straight fold line. I then fold in half -top to bottom- and take to my cutting table to trim. It really works best to have two people to straighten backings but usually I here alone and have to do it myself.

Another way to do it is to fold the backing over the longarm and put your cutting mat on the table. I was not real successful with this method so I continue to straighten by shifting the fabric back and forth until I think I have a straight line. Now was clear as mud???

Clear as mud Carol (grins). See you at the meeting.

The ones I like are the customers who send the backing fabric not ready to put on the machine or has not trimmed the selvedge off on the one long seam.

I have one on the machine now that has really cheap backing fabric with a linear design--well the design isn't printed straight so even though it's square and the grain is straight it's going to look a bit off.

I do have an info sheet on backing that one of the instructors at MQS said we could use for customers and share with other quilters. I've been planning on doing some copies for some of my customers. I'll post it later as I don't have enough time right now. Jeri

Turns out the sheet I thought went into squaring backings isn't it. Might be on Darlene Epp's CD that came with her class--mmm now if I can ever get it to work right. Gotta e-mail Darlene for some help on it one day soon. jeri

Maybe I am just fortunate, but I have a large floor area which is tiled with 12 inch ceremic square tiles. I lay my backing out, find the straightest edge by checking the grain, then line that edge up with a line of tiles. Using the tiles as a guide I straighten the opposite side (cutting with scissors) and then using the two straight sides and tiles as a guide, straighten the two ends.

I hate crawling on the floor, but at least it works. If anyone else has an easier way, I too here in Oz would welcome it.

Cheers

Cherie in Australia

Archived