Using Nylon top thread... feels rough

Hello everyone

I am using a clear nylon thread on the top, it is a size 18 (there is no wt listed just the number 18) and I am using a bottomline thread in the bobbin, 60 wt. I have fiddled with the tension and got rid of the issue where the nylon was coming through on the bottom in loops (fixed it yippee) . But now I find that the stitching feels rough. The roughness is on the bottom and the top. What causes this? Can I fix it by changing the tension? Please help. I feel like such a newbie asking so many questions.

Thanks for your help. Ann

Thanks for the information charlene.

The brand I have purchased is sold by CanSew here in Canada. Its too bad I bought a spool the size of a small dog.

An APQS rep up here buys this brand and she is away so I can;t ask her directly. I hope that it isnt the thread brand (waaa).

I must say it does seem weird that it is so rough after it has been stitched. I've adjusted tension both top and bottom, and stitch length and just can't get rid of that rough feeling. Thanks again, Ann:(

Hi Ann...

I love the Cansew threads, but I also bought the dog-sized invisible thread...I remember I used it on a practice quilt way back in the day and didn't like it...don't remember why, just never used it again. When I need something to look invisible I just use a very fine thread now with good results. I wonder if Superior's So Fine would be good for this...I've never used it yet but plan on getting some in the future.

Sandra

Cansew themselves told me that the invisible thread they sell is not the thread we should be using on our quilts, it is better suited to hemming pants, etc. The representative herself advised me to buy another brand so I did. Don't give up on invisible thread, I personally love the Sulky brand, very pliable and thin, works awesome on Pine Needles patterns. What is the nylon thread that you used from Cansew because I was thinking about buying some? I thought they just sold Madiera in the nylon?

Cher

The cansew clear thread is called "cansew 18 clear translucent nylon". I went out and bought sulky invisible and it is much better. Still finding a few spots that I would like a little smoother but I think that is just tension. Anyway thanks for the sulky tip and i will keep this small dog sized cone of cansew nylon for another day.

Ann:)

If you need an invisible thread - try MonoPoly by Superior. You will Love it!

It has a high heat resistance - Iron and Dryer safe, will not become brittle

over time, will not discolor, strong with low stretch, soft & pliable ( Yes...

I did just copy all of that off of the package!):D

I had ordered 4 spools (2,400 yds) because I had this huge Hand-applique

quilt top to do. I didn't even use-up one of them, almost though.

Once I was able to get the tension fixed, it went great. I have a seperate

bobbin case that I have and leave set for when using mono-poly. I also

have a different set for my pre-wounds and for the bobbins that I wind..

and so forth.... I use which one I need, than put it back inside the little

labled zip-lock baggie.

The hardest part of using the mono-poly is threading the needle, Hard to

see what your doing! It comes in clear and smoke color. Both work great!

If you want a thread that will look invisible but not be an invisible thread--the Bottom Line thread on the top works great. I use it especially for 1930 fabrics. It blends into the fabrics so well and looks as if it is handquilted when I am done. I also have customers that don't like the nylon so the Bottom line can do such a good job on quilts for those type of customers. I use less and less nylon since the Bottom line has comeout.

DeLoa Jones

APQS Representative Michigan

Millenium Freedom, Liberty, Discovery

Guest Linda S

I'd also go with the Superior MonoPoly or the Bottom Line -- nylon can be a problem down the road. Monopoly comes in both clear and smoke, bottom line in just about any color. I'm using white bottom line on the back of a quilt right now -- the backing is dark brown - you'd swear the thread was actually a tan -- it seems to blend in well with its surroundings.

Linda

Archived