Speed Bumps

dcs

I have a weird issue to ask y'all about: I've noticed two "speed bumps" when I move my Millennium straight back-to-front. These little hitches in the road cause not only my freehand stitching to go a tad wonky but even the CQ stitches goof up at this point. It's really strange. With no quilt loaded, starting with the machine head at the front of the machine by the "top" roller, then moving it slowly straight back as far as it will go, there are two areas where, every time, the head "bumps," just like a car going over a speed bump in a parking lot. It's only a tiny movement, and if you move the head veryquickly, you don't notice it (although the stitches are a bit off, always at the same point). I get the same result if I start with the head pushed as far back as it will go then slowing move it forward. I tried to see if there was anything in the way of the wheels at the point were I noticed the "bumps." I thought maybe there was something on the carriage. Nope, nothing. The only thing I can see is that the wheels seem to be at the point where the CQ hardware attaches to the carriage whenever the "bump" manifests.

Because we got the Milli with the CQ, and since it is our first longarm, I have no idea if this is usual, if it's something on the table, or if it's somehow connected to the CQ, so I'm asking this question in this forum, first. Because it's taken a while for me to get used to longarming, I didn't realize that the "bumps" weren't me, they were something in the table or the machine.

I've been very careful not to be touching the rollers at all when I move the head for these tests. No pressure on the head, either, causing it to lift or tilt up or down. It is the most bizzare thing!

I LOVE my Millennium! I just want to make sure there's not something wrong that I should be fixing for her!

Any ideas? Anyone?

Donna

Hi Donna

I have "speed humps" too, they are going from left to right (x axis) it seems to be every rotation of the wheel, it's in both modes too. I to have checked out everthing, I've had a few issues(bugs) with my system the bugs are slowly being eliminated. (sound like a pest controller don't I).

I'm just waiting for Sue to get back to me about the other problem I'm having. When I use "Restart" the stitches are quite large compared to what it was stitching only moments before, neither the stitching length or speed has been touched.

Isn't it weird? I had wondered if there was a deformity on one of the wheels at the point where the bump was, causing it to be hit on a full rotation, but if there is, I can't tell. *sigh*

I'm so new at this that I don't know what is operator error, what's "that's just the way it is," and what is a problem that can be fixed! :D

While on the subject of questions with CQ, when I start a pattern, even if I have it do zero locking stitches (so I can bury the threads), it stitches in place so I get a small knot of stitches at the beginning of every pattern. Any way to stop that that you know of?

Thanks again for your response! It's nice to not be all alone!!!

Take care--

Donna

Hi Lesley and Donna

I think you both have different problems so you could check these things out.

Lesley, I think yours is probably a bad or badly adjusted wheel. Could you move the machine along the length of the table slowly and see if the bump occurs at even spacing, around 14cm or so. Thats about the circumference of the inside of the wheel. If it is this regular, its a bad wheel and I'll get you a replacement.

Donna,

It sounds to me that your problem is that the top of the y axis pulley screw is just brushing the screw that holds in the back head axle. If this is the problem, contact APQS and ask for the new screws that go into the axle which have flat heads.

Let us know if that fixes the problem or we will keep working to find out whats happening.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Sorry Donna, I didn't answer your other question.

To stop those knot stitches there is an adjustment in the software that you can make. I'd prefer to direct you to Jim Kaldenburg for directions on that. Jim usually keeps a close eye on all things CQ and may have already answered you, but if not I'll email him about the problem.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Sue, thank you! I'll try to check the y-axis pulley screw issue tonight, after work, and get back to you. And I'm delighted to learn there's an adjustment that can be made to stop those knot stitches! I look forward to hearing from Jim about them.

Thank you so much, again.

Donna

I also have the speed bump problem, moving horizontally and vertically. I can only feel one bump vertically. There are multiple bumps horizontally. They are not evenly spaced and I don't get them all the time. The bumps are worse when the machine gets warmed up.

I'm in Des Moines and have been working with someone from the showroom, but we haven't resolved the problem yet. The front wheels were replaced several weeks ago and the problem persisted. We made adjustments to the wheels last week and the problem still persists.

It's very frustrating cuz I never know when it's going to happen. When it does happen, I'm trying to move the machine one way and it wants to go a different way and end up ripping out a lot of stitching. Not a fun thing to do....

Deb

Hi Deb

Sorry to hear you are having problems.. I'm sure the person at the show room will get to the root of the problem really fast..

It can be really hard to work out which wheel/s is/are causing the problems. Maybe you will have to replace all the wheels to be sure. Have you cleaned your rails really well and checked for any nicks in the aluminium?

Good luck

Sue in australia

Hi All,

When you are feeling it like a speed bump, more than likely you have a bad wheel.. The hard part is to figure out which wheel it is! If you have a Mille.. the main thing we need to know, is if it is the one with the channel lock assemble.. so we can send a drilled and tapped wheel for the gear that mounts to it!

I have seen where the channel lock (knife blade) that goes over and locks into the gear, will sometimes catch, but it is a different noise you will hear!

The final thing to check is, make sure there are no gouges in the rails anywhere.. on the carraige or the table..

Call and we can get you wheels, at that time be sure to let us know when you got your machine and if you have black or brown wheels!

Hope this helps!!

Archived