MORE FROM THE PUCKER PIECER

YA just nail them down the best you can and hand it back... Its hard to except quilts like this at times, but we do what needs to be done, and smile when we give them back. Not everyone is a perfect piecer, and not everyone takes classes or think they need them. There are personal challenges as well as medical challenges....the quilts tell a story, but which one is it. Someone who doesn't care, just get the thing done and to the quilter, or one who can barely see, has the shakes, or one who needs a class, but doesn't know where or to shy to take one.

Let me pop in here for a minute. I had a quilter bring me 7 quilts on her first visit to me. Each one had issues, not so much puckering, but every point was chopped off and her seam allowances were all varied. I don't know how they did not end up a puckered mess. Anyway, I hated quilting them and I could only do pantos, you just couldn't custom these as she wanted. I really thought she was just a real bad quilter.

Come to find out, she has parkinson's disease and she shakes quite a bit, but loves to quilt. I really felt bad for her, and hated that I judged her before I knew the whole story. I give her credit for doing something she loves doing regardless.

The most important lesson learned, never take more than two quilts at a time from one quilter! I thought I'd never finish them.

Let's face it girls,. . . these kinds of quilters are self taught and have never seen a classroom. Don't have a clue how to improve. But to pay to have that quilted is really hard to believe. Not that I haven't had the same customers but just smile and pray the whole time your quilting. . . .or trying to!!!!!

after these quilts, you can quilt ANYTHING. It is wonderful to get a flat quilt, with great points.

I found by practicing on the Ebay quilts which could be patriotic and waving or poorly pieced, I learned skills which come in handy now and then.

You'll have to get a second price sheet with higher prices for piecingly challenged quilts. LOL

I know it is easier to quilt the best quilts, but you have to remember there are lots of older people out there that do this to keep themselves busy, puckered or not...hats off to them...I know I will get slammed for this comment, but we as quilters shouldnt be so judgemental...for our quilters that bring us these quilts ..they know what they look like.and are still willing to pay us for our work...

Archived