Sign in to follow this  
April W

MORE FROM THE PUCKER PIECER

I feel for the piecer that she either is unable to do better, has not been taught better, or is in such a mental situation that she just doesn't give a hang. I'm betting on the second.

I know 3 ladies right here in town, have tried to get them to my house or theirs to teach them proper cutting, seams, threads, tensions, etc. and not one appt. has been kipt. With them, it tells me they just don't give a hoot and want the quilting as an excuse to socialize, and when they feel they are put in a corner, they run.

I'm, NOT putting blame on anyone for comments, we each are entitled to our own, just saying what I've encountered in person.

God Bless All,

God Bless her,

RitaR

Quilting is like paint...it can hide a world o' sins! :P

She's obviously happy with them, and she's bringing you more...not that you want them! lol!

One really rumply one that I did...I rolled it so tight on the rollers that it was like a drum! It's a wonder the needle didn't just cause it to rip out. But, it stretched it enough that the big bumpies stretched out and it flattened it. Course, enough stitch coverage will flatten anything!

I've also come to the conclusion that the occasional 'tacking a pleat' with the longarm is part of making some things lay flatter...so it is what it is, I poke it down and stitch the he!! out of it! lol!

But, I also don't do panto or feathers or crosshatching, so it's freehand and I can 'draw' a leaf or something over the offending article.

It seems like in the piecing, raw edges, raggedy things are all the rage at the moment, so if something is a bit wonky...???

I must confess those colors don't do it for me. I'd almost be tempted to give her a few fat quarters of good fabric and tell her where I got it. Even poorly pieced quilts with good colors are less painful to look at. I have been practicing on some ebay quilts with issues and it stresses me out to work on them because I end up taking a pleat now and then and I hate to do it but in the end the quilts look great and I feel good for quilting them. You have to remember that you are getting paid so that is good. Ha Ha

Cheryll Baber

Millenium

I think this is so funny Lol.... lol.... as soon as I read "the pucker piecer" I started to giggle. I remembered the last lot. Very memorable quilts lol

This sweet lady sure does loves to sew! Putting these tops together must give her great pleasure. And then to have them beatifully quilted, well, she must be smiling too.

April, I you're an angel! Quilting the love.....lol You sure earn your keep.

Looking forward to seeing the miracle transformation when your done please.

12AB7852A283AC9C7F2B1514F887A399.png

Guest Linda S

Hey! I was totally self taught, and I CAN'T piece that poorly. That requires a special skill that I just don't possess.

Linda

Originally posted by GGQ

Let's face it girls,. . . these kinds of quilters are self taught and have never seen a classroom. Don't have a clue how to improve. But to pay to have that quilted is really hard to believe. Not that I haven't had the same customers but just smile and pray the whole time your quilting. . . .or trying to!!!!!

I have no idea about the history of these people who piece like this. Without trying to judge, it could be many things: perhaps the piecer is color blind? or has vision problems? partially blind? disabled in some way (mentally or physically?) like ADD? Suffers from depression and this is their creative outlet? or perhaps maybe their priority or goal is not perfection but rather to get them pieced together and quilted regardless of the "beauty" so they can be donated, given to be used to a worthy cause? Who knows??

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I don't normally pipe-in, but I think I will here. It looks to me like this piecer sewed these quilt tops with a serger that has its differential feed set to gather. I'm thinking that the pucker problem is due more to a sewing machine problem than a piecer problem. Granted, the blocks are wonky, but a sewing machine with the tension (top & bottom) too tight, presser foot pressure too high, and so on, can also cause puckering.

April, she may not have a 1/4 foot. Have you suggested one to her? Also, you could gift her with a small plastic or wooden ruler to tape on the bed of her machine at the proper place. She also may be avoiding pinning as some folks feel that is a waste of time. The problem here as I see it is that you make her quilts look so good she is delighted with the end results!:D

Just Sew Simple Sylvia Blissett APQS Freedom '09 "Stitch" Circle Lord 2010 “"Until one has loved an animal, Part of their soul remains unawakened.”

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

......you make her quilts look so good she is delighted with the end results!:D

That's all that matters. April is an angel to quilt these for her customer so they can be used and loved. :) Good for you, April!!!

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Those are definitely interesting quilts. The remind me of something my MIL might do. She loves to sew, but consistent seam allowances or fitting are not issues with her. She insists on making all the grandkids pajama bottoms, and I'm so glad they only wear them at night, they absolutely scream homemade. And my MIL is just so proud of herself, bless her heart. She gave me a ceramic votive holder for Christmas one year that she painted herself -- you guessed it, talk about coloring outside the lines. But she was happy with it.

Terri S.