Quilting fees

When you gues charge for your quilts, lets say one cent per sq. inch, do you add in a thread fee ($5) and a set up fee ($10)? I finished my first for hire quilt Sunday. It turned out great except for two errors and they didn't look too bad. I did learn that reversing a quilt when quilting is NOT a good idea. I didn't not get the quilt perfectly realligned and it did show. I used "Steam" by Norma Sharp. Nice and easy and great flowing. I liked the backside better than the quilt front because the marigold colored thread on the navy background showed up so beautifully.. Thanks for all answers-Marie

Marie: I do not charge a thread fee for the first two threads nor do I charge a setup fee. Those are built into my prices.

Whatever you charge, you should be sure your clients are aware of it up front. I give a written breakdown of all the charges. This is not an estimate . . it is what the actual charges are going to be. If the quilt takes twice as long as I had anticipated, or if I run into problems I didn't see at the outset, those are my problem and will not cost the client extra at the end.

Sorry about the problems you had. Live and learn, huh? There are times when I think something will work and then it doesn't and looking back, I wonder why I ever thought it would work in the first place! There are other times when things don't work and for the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't work and I try them again and they still don't work!:o

Archived