robot

zeke

Cool robot! How does it stitch out? Does it run smoothly in the detailed areas? I like the way you filled in between the figures. My experience with my nuts and bolts is that the little screw and bolt threads are so close together that it tends to make puckers around that area. If I put too much detail in my tools, I have to compensate in other areas to even out the quilting and eliminate the puckers. The detail in your robots looks pretty uniform so it shouldn't cause a problem. I also have problems with too much detail; the herky jerky motion will cause the thread to snap when it hits a corner or has to change direction abruptly.

If you have a sample with it stitched out, I'd love to see it.

Good Job! Some young man will love that on his quilt.

Yes, the program stitches out very nice. I actually digitized itfrom a photograph that the client had sent me. After getting rid of the picture, it took about an hour and a half to get it all cleaned up to look good. Regards, zeke............

Julia! :P Wll Rogers...Will Robinson. I don't remember that far back exactly his last name. Yes you are right it is Will Robinson ... I was probably 10 years old in the early 70's last time I watched that TV show with the robot flailing his arms about being a drama queen! :P

Zeke, is it possible to make this a pantograph, too?

Hi kenna,

As it stands it's at about 10" tall. I also have a border program too. It's just the robot going around the quilt. Right now it's just all going the same direction, but I'm thinking of making it alternating up/down. I was thinking of taking a bunch of my old paper panto's that I made many years back and revamping them into programs. The first one that I did is called "echoing hawaiian flowers". It came out quite nice, but totally different that the paper panto. Here it is. I hope you like it. Regards, zeke..............

post--13461901481942_thumb.jpg

Hi Zeke,

I noticed that your "first" and "last" points are centered on the sides. I have found that having them either at the bottom or top works well for me. That way I can advance the quilt to the next section and get more quilting done in one pass. Now if the design in nested heavily, then the centered position is a good idea--you can position the pattern off the edge of the quilt top and bottom to avoid empty places.

I usually flip the pattern so that the beginning and end are on the bottom, that way after I advance the quilt I can see them and use them as registration points when I start a new section. If the design is one way, I plan the quilting ahead and either put the top on right side up or upside down. (Got that picture?)

Give me some feedback on this detail and see if we see eye to eye.

Hi Bonnie,

I got the Picture. When I made the "Echoing Hawaiian Flowers", I was in the first stages of my digiting training. Didn't really know what I was doing. Had to redo a couple of times. Having it start in the middle doesn't really matter to me. I could start anywhere on the left-hand side, it doesn't really matter. I usually flip the "x" and "y" all the time that I'm quilting. If I design the program with it to be seen one way, than I will start at the bottom or top so it can be flipped all ways. I know it's kind of hard to explain, but most of the time it's how you were trained or the way your mind has fixed itself to to workout thinking. Regards, zeke................

Archived