HELP! Can't decide!

This is my first post as a very new machine owner. My Millenium (Miss Maggie Gray) arrived on 3/23/09 with set up on 3/27/09. I have little new advice to add, but I will reinforce what others have said.

Test drive lots of machines. I've been dreaming about a mid- or long-arm machine for 7 years. I've been actively looking at machines on line for about 3 years. The first weekend in March, I attended a Sew & Quilt Expo in Atlanta. Lots of vendors were there. I tried out the machine I had thought I wanted - and I ended up absolutely despising it. It would have been more economical than what I bought, but I wouldn't have used it. I test drove several more machines.

APQS was not represented at the Sew and Quilt Expo, but was doing a Road Show in Atlanta that same weekend. I attended the road show and fell in love with APQS the company. The sales pitch was low key with no trashing of the competition. Bob and Jim just emphasized the strengths of their machines and the family nature of the company. There was the opportunity to test drive three or four machines in the product line and there was lots of time for discussion. Unfortunately, I had to leave before getting to test drive. I STILL put down a deposit. The dealer at the show - Patty Butcher - found Shannon in the ATL area who owns a Millie so that I could test drive before writing the final check. I made a list of the machines I was seriously considering, their features, and their costs. After spending time with Shannon, I decided to get the Millenium.

While I waited for delivery, I did have that "What have I done?" feeling. This is a big purchase for me. I felt crazy even though my husband was very supportive.

While the APQS manual is good enough to put the machine together without an APQS rep, I still asked for one and I'm glad that I did. Patty drove back to ATL. We worked together to get it put together, and then she worked with me on loading a quilt, changing needles, good maintenance habits, and more. While I still have so much to learn, Patty's visit gave me enough confidence to turn on the machine after she was gone and get to work.

I am very, very happy with my decision. I no longer have the 'what have I done?' feeling. I'm now wondering why I waited so long;) I am eager to see where this new adventure takes me. Folks who've known me for years keep commenting on how happy I look.

I wish the best for those still making the decision. May you find the right machine for you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my milli after dithering for over 5 years. Finally, for all of the reasons above, and more I bought it knowing that it represents the ultimate for me: FREEDOM!!! I'm free to do almost anything to a quilt top that I would like, when I would like, at what pace I would like. I can try out threads, patterns, anything I want. If you decide on the $$$, then get the most you can for the best freedom of creating. I have put my freedom on hold because of a lot of children and my husband for a very long time, first because of necessity, then mostly habit, but truly, I needed to claim my freedom. I'm truly playing and creating for the first time in a long time, makes one feel younger too!

Thanks Gator, my local quilt guild sent me to Deb Sanderson, who did some quilting for a guild event, and she was very helpful. I will go over to have a chat with her and a tour of her setup, and get some hands-on advice.

I am not used to contemplating, let alone making, such expensive decisions, particularly for something for myself (seems as a mom and wife I am quite comfortable taking care of others, but somehow, I am not so good at doing that for myself!), but I feel good about going in this direction.

This has hit home in a big way in the last few years as our own parents have grown older and passed from us. We have been struck by how many elders of our acquaintance had no plan for retirement and ageing, no strategy for making their changing horizons meaningful or enjoyable. We saw a lot of talented, able persons stuck in misery, angry that they could no longer do the same things they did in their 40's and 50's. It has been instructive.

My husband and I, after fruitlessly trying to help his dad adjust to age and infirmity, reflected after his passing that we needed to think ahead and make plans for our own aging. Getting back into quilting was part of MY plan for putting in place talents, interests, and skills that I can develop and enjoy as I am increasingly "confined to quarters"! A way to keep looking forward (to the next project, the next skill), and stay an active and contributing member of my community (teaching, guild participation, charity quilting etc.). Or to put it another way, to have something to look forward to in every day. And setting up a studio with a frame setup is part of that.

I to went through the "which machine is for me" and almost purchased another machine but decided to wait till after the holidays since we were taking a long vacation during the holiday season. Shortly after returning I looked through my APQS package again and kept hearing more and more good things about APQS. Finally, I talked with my quilter in Atlanta and she to had swetched to an APQS Millie, to make this short the more I researched the more the APQS was the machine for me. I will be purchasing mine soon and can hardly wait!! ;)

Kristina, thanks for the welcome to the forum.

WesternWilson - I so understand your post. A large factor in giving myself 'permission' to do something so major for me boiled down to one word: joy. Whether we live to be 5 or 105, life is just too short. As a woman in the workforce, wife, and mother - I'm great at taking care of everyone else. I wanted to do something for me - to force myself to learn new skills in an area I already love, to explore areas of creativity that have been dormant for a long time.

I don't want to wake up in another 20 years, resentful because I took care of everyone else and forgot about me. My daughter is 9; my parents and in-laws are in their mid to late 60's. I have this window of time where everyone (including me) is healthy. This is a perfect time to develop skills and just simply enjoy the adventure of taking my quilting skills to a new level.

Since I'm starting from scratch in terms of LA skills, I can't say that my practice pieces are anything to sing about. But I am so very happy each time I turn on the machine and get going.

So, I wish us all joy, wherever we are on our various learning curves:)

Hi Lynn.

Welcome to the forum and family!!:) It was a great pleasure to work with you and meet your family. I am so glad that you are happy and enjoying Miss Maggie Gray! Enjoy the adventure where ever it leads you... business or pleasure.

Take care and let me know if you need anything.

Patty

Well, I went to Lancaster today and took a LA class with linda McCuean. the class was great, Linda was great, and I got a lot of time on a Gammill Premier machine. I think I did pretty well for my first time on a LA and I had a blast! But....my thread kept breaking...all day long! Other people's thread was breaking too. One machine had to be changed out because of the thread problem. The thread on all of the machines was a varigated thread, although I don't know what make thread it was. Now, I'm not sure if it was a thread issue, a machine issue, or what. I wasn't doing anything to cause the thread to break, that I know of. Maybe it was because they were set up so quickly? But, it seemed that any adjustments they made didn't really solve the problem. One of the other students said that varigated thread can be weak in spots? On a positive note, I got really good at threading the machine! :) The thread breakage was a little frustrating at times, but it was still a lot of fun to work on a long arm. I can't wait to do it again! I'm going back to the show Friday, Sat, and Sunday to take classes (not LA) and to test drive more machines. I now know what a Gammill "feels" like so I have a starting point to compare others. Is it common for thread to break like that? Oh, the other thing that happened was I had little "knots" on the back of my quilt. Maybe it was a tension thing? But,they did adjust the tension more than once. I don't know. In all, it was a great day of long arming. Unfortunately, it was over in a flash!

Originally posted by Cindy Hodge

....how do I change my Mood in my profile?

Click on your User Control Panel (located at the top of this screen in right corner) and then select "edit profile" tab and there you make those changes.

OK and re: the continuous thread breaking and issues on back of quilt, sounds to me like the machine wasn't set correctly (tension way too tight) or wasn't threaded correctly.

Thanks Shana. I think I successfully changed my mood. You really are a wealth of knowledge!

About the machines in class: The Gammill guy was there and he adjusted the tension and checked the threading. I think they must've just set the machines up quickly and maybe they didn't have a chance to set things correctly. It happened on quite a few of the machines though, on and off all day long. I'd hate to think that that could be a common occurance with Gammill machines so it must've been something to do with the set up, balance, or something. Whichever kind of machine I end up with, I hope it doesn't have any problems!:)

Well, I had a great time at the show in Lancaster and I did get a chance to try several machines. There were a couple that I eliminated right away and a couple that I kept going back and forth between. In the end, I put a deposit on a Gammill Classic Plus. I felt bad though because I really liked Lorraine at APQS. But, I just liked the Gammill better. I liked the feel of the machine, the on/off buttons and controls were easier for me to use, and I liked the table/frame better. I liked the roller bar set up better on the Gammill and although neither the APQS or the Gammill will need much maintenance, hopefully; there is a Gammill dealer with a full maintenance department a little over 2 hours from here. I've had a few days for it all to settle in and I am still happy with my decision. I won't get the machine for a little while though because there are a couple training days to schedule and I can't really take any more days off from work right now. But, I have been dreaming of the machine, names for my business, and trying to learn what I'll need to get started, other than practice, practice, practice! I really appreciate all of your input and support throughout this decision making process. I know that I will be a minority on this forum, and rightly so since this is an APQS forum :), but I hope you'll still talk to me! I really value all of your opinions and willingness to offer support/help so freely. So, thank you again. I look forward to participating in this forum in the future.

I thought I might add one other thing. It's only been a few days since I made my decision. I don't have the machine yet therefore; I haven't paid for it yet and I'm still having that "what have I done?" feeling. I guess that's a normal response to spending this kind of money on myself. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to earn that money back over time but it's still a scary thing because until I actually have a customer's quilt and successfully complete it, I won't know for sure. I think once it's in my room and I can actually play with it, that knot in my stomach will untie itself and I'll be like others here who have said that once they got their machine they didn't know why they waited so long! I'd love to hear others experiences with this "after the purchase, before the arrival" feeling. Is this a "normal" feeling?

Cindy, I get that all the time...some call it buyer's remorse, I call it my internal Methodist. You know, the voice that says "you don't deserve, don't have fun, if it feels good it must be bad for you" !

Don't listen! I think our culture encourages women not only to put others' needs first, but to really feel that their own needs are a) unimportant and B) selfish.

My feeling is, unless you are hurting someone else by spending this money on something you love and want, go for it. Even the Dalai Lama says that our only responsibility on this earth comes down to "Pursue your own happiness insofar as it does not compromise the happiness of others."

To that I would add, and we should only support the other people in our lives in pursuing their own happiness UNLESS it means we have to give up some of our own.

I lost my dad last year. He was a flawed man, but I loved him deeply. I learned two things: dad never allowed himself much in the way of indulgences, and I would much rather he had left us less money and given himself a better ride in life. The second thing was that none of us know how long we will be here, but it certainly won't be forever. Carpe that diem.

So enjoy, really enjoy, your new baby and tell us all about her!

Hi Cindy,

Maybe you are having second thoughts because of all the thread breakage and knots on the back of the quilt. My wife runs Superior Rainbows on her Liberty almost exclusively and Bottom Line prewounds on the bobbin, and the APQS Liberty stitches perfectly. I am her technician and I almost never touch the top tension and set the bobbin per the "drop test" and the APQS stitches perfectly. I looked at most all the LA's and APQS is hands down the simplest and easiest machine on the market. Come up to MQX this coming week and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

GeoTech

Cindy - Congrats & remember to stay with us. We might be a forum under the APQS company, but in actuality we are a forum for everyone. We have lots of different machines represented on this forum and no matter what machine, we all face the same issues............. Good luck with your new baby when she arrives and remember to post pictures!!

I started out with a Super Quilter and a Brother 1500, spent a lot of money modifying it, and still hated it. Traded that for a New Joy frame, which was marginally better, but still clearly conceived and built in someone's garage. The poles sagged with anything larger than a baby quilt and bolts would go flying off it periodically. Ditched that and went back to sit and quilt for a while, while I continued to look around. I finally decided that I wanted a REAL longarm machine and test drove the Millenium in a rep's house. I ended up buying a demon model. Unfortunately, shortly after it arrived I was barraged with family and work problems. Things are just calming down and we are becoming acquainted. All I can say, is what a difference!

Hi Cindy,

I have a GC+ and have had no problems with it. I have used several different kinds of thread and have not had a breakage issue or tension issues. I think you will find the people here very friendly even though an "APQS forum". There are many different brands represented here.

Glad you found us here at this forum!

Hi Cindy,

From what I have seen, this group could care less about what you choose to drive. I have seen issues with all kinds of machines answered here. One of many reasons why I love this forum. This is not an elitest forum.

You did exactly what was recommended to you.... Go try them all. Congratulations on your new baby. Was I scared? Absolutely. It will pass and you will be fine.

I look forward to seeing the beautiful work you produce with your new baby. Don't be scared. Load up a practice sandwich and learn to dance with your new baby.

Archived