fixing border fullness

lyonden

This border was a real bear. I really couldn't shrink the fabric because of the applique. I couldn't even take a tuck because of the applique. The rest of the quilt was just fine and done to perfection. Soooo, I made the border as even as I could and added another piece of thin batting. I figured piano keys above the vine would take up space but the outer edge of the border was wider still. Pebbles seemed to work wonders under the vine. I think this worked out just fine. Love the quilt now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mary Beth - If you think that is a lot of pebbles, take a look at the whole quilt. Take a look at the 2009 album in my webshots listed below. I received 2 of these quilts and had to do something different on each one. Love both of them. I have to admit, I am through with pebbles for a while. The customers are happy so it's worth it. The other quilt is done with McTavishing which the customer wanted.

I have been really busy lately but have been lurking occasionally.

Wow, the piano keys and pebbles are surely something to remember in the future for wavy borders! You did a wonderful job.

Makes me think that there should be a before-and-after category in shows so that people can see the magic that is performed by some talented LA-ers!

Hi Shana - We are still in VA. With the economy the way it is, we can't retire just yet. We will move out there a year from July or so. Right now, my grandaughter is living in our house so it won't be empty. Like I said though, my machine is going out there with me. Our business has slowed a little this year so I can do more custom quilts again. They take me soooooo looooong!!! I don't know how you girls do them so quickly. I have checked in on all of you but haven't posted much.

Archived