Veterans who happen to be quilters

I know it isnt exactly the same but being a Navy wife of 20 years and then two sons in the service one navy for 8 years and the other army now 9 years and special forces for the last 4 years, it seems like I am a vet. been doing the military lifestyle since i got married at 18. does that qualify?

Well, lets see, Dad was in the Cavalry during WW1, and in the Philippines during the invasion.. Two brothers were in the Army during WW2 and one was wounded.

Then one brother in the Korean war. Roland, Himself went in and was in on the bay of Pigs, the Falkland Island invasion, several other small skirmishes, flew cargo and personnel into Viet Nam and Thailand, then was stationed in Thailand for several months, flying reconnaisancem, then returned state side, and flew wounded, whole bodied, immigrants, etc home and finally retired on New Years Eve 1978.

Meanwhile, i spent 19 years of his 22 with him caring for 4 kids (6 years from oldest to youngest) one handicapped, drove one 60 odd miles to and from school each day, etc... so I considermyself in the "service"

I love our GI's, past and present, make a point to tell anyone I see that is in uniform that I appreciate them and the work they are doing, and make as many quilts of Valor as I can as well quilt them for other ladies who send their tops and backing to me.

I have so much respect for them, and YOU who are still in, or will be going in. Oh

my gosh, almost forgot to say our daughter was in the AF for 9 years as a Diesel Mechanic, and our Son in Law was on the Enterprise for 6 years... God Bless them, too.

RitaR

Originally posted by RitaR

Roland, Himself flew cargo and personnel into Viet Nam and Thailand, then was stationed in Thailand for several months,

RitaR

My brother too....maybe they were in together! Wouldn't that be a small world...Let's see Ching Chang Chong Air Force Base in Tiawan, must have been somewhere between 1967 and 1970.

Hi Sue,

My husband retires next month with 30 yrs of service in the USMC. My son will be commissioned in the USMC next week.

Sue, when you going to make it to a long-arm meeting? I won't be at the meeting this month. I think its going to be at Patty Butchers.

Mary Beth, roland spent his over seas time in Bankok, Thailand, and flying in and out of Viet Nam and doing recon.. said he was only in and out of Taiwan 6 or 7 times in his 20 years of flying All Toll he put in 22 years, 1 months and 13 days. LOL have to add it all.

ritaR

NC1(CC)AW, USN retired.

Here's a good one--

My great grandfather came to the US from Poland in 1891, met my g-grandma and married in 1914. Three of the six kids were in the Navy during WWII, my Mom's dad was a frogman at Pearl Harbor. Then, when my Mom grew up, she wanted to be a Navy Nurse. Well, she met the cutest Navy recruiter (guess who) and that career was cut short. I got in the way. I'm definitely a Navy girl! BTW, my brother was USMC. My Mom's brother was in the Navy too.

Nothing US here - all UK. My F-in-L was RAF and my M-in-L worked in the Army during WWII. M-in-L's father was army - served in the Boer War, and had 2 horses shot from under him during WWI :mad: On my side of the family - my mother's father was RN in WWII and died in the Far East. My father's father was Army and survived WWII. My mother was WRNS, my father was RN for at least 40 years. I was WRNS too, and my DH was RN - retired in 2005. I think we count as a military family!!:).

I'm not a veteran but I greatly appreciate the sacrifice all military personnel & their families have made on our behalf. And I thank you all for your service.

When I see someone in a military uniform I make it a point to introduce myself, shake their hand & tell them how thankful I am for warrriors like them.

My youngest son is a Captain in the Army & is currently serving his 4th tour of duty in Iraq.

Both of my brothers were in the Air Force & my husband was in the Army.

So to all past, present & future military, I thank you.

Joe Ann Wood

Ohio

Retired Navy Wife, saw a shirt once that said "Navy Wife - Toughest job in the Navy" I am sure that there are some that would argue that.

Anyway, DH retired in 2004 after 20 years in the Navy Seabees.

That "Can Do" attitude is contagious and still active in our house. Just wish that the kids would pick it up more often.

WOW, great replies. As I said before I was in the Army. My dear dad was in during WWII, spent his entire four years overseas and was awarded the bronze star. One of my sons has been in the Navy for 10 years. My husband is retired Navy. I wouldn't know what to do if I was not around the military. I love the life, travel and the structure.

To Rona, I have a key chain that I bought when my son graduated from basic at Great Lakes that says, "Navy Mom, toughest job in the Navy." It has held my keys for 10 years now.

Archived