how to chenille on longarm?

bonbon

I've been searching for a way to make chenille on the longarm. With all the layers and bias stitching, there has to be a way. I've done them on may domestic machine and it is quite time consuming. But the end result is worth it.

What are the potential problems I would need to look for doing this on the longarm?

Chenille on the longarm is the same technique--you sew a zillion diagonals on multiple layers and then cut all except the bottom layer. But, so much easier and quicker on the longarm!! Here is a recipe I use---

Three layers of homespun or shirting flannel (these fabrics are the same on both sides--no white reverse sides) I bought 60" wide shirting by 6 yds. and did a big 60"x72" throw.

Load all layers together on the leaders.

Sew diagonals about 1" apart all across. I stitched up one line and back the other and just drug the thread from one row to the next. When you cut the top layers, those threads will get cut then.

After all the stitching, leave the top on the leaders and the tension will make cutting much easier. Use a slash cutter or scissors to cut the two top layers.

Because of all the diagonal stitching there will be some distortion. I squared it up and stitched the outside edge on my DSM. I have seen some bound and they look great, but you don't have to bind.

If you've done chenille before you know about the wash/dry thing.

I have done baby blankets with 44" wide pastel homespun and it so quick! The big one took less than 3 hours from loaded to unloaded and my only complaint was I had to replace the blade in the slash cutter twice!

I use a diagonal ruler my DH made for me--you can see pics under Gadgets and Goodies/ diagonal ruler. Very useful tool and directions are available for the asking.

Hope this helps you. Happy stitching!!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa.

Thanks for your reply. Are your fabrics pinned or sprayed together in layers before loading on the longarm? When they are pinned on, I won't be able to stitch right to the edge, right? When you stitch the diagonal lines, do you stitch as far as you can go on each line before advancing the quilt or do you advance as you go so there are no stops and starts?

I'm using 4 layers of flannel. Will I need to use a heavier needle? How long is the ruler you use?

I know there are alot of questions.

I like the idea of cutting the chenille before unloading.

Hi,

I have never done chenille, but saw it at qnn. As stitching diagonal lines is always a bit uncomfortable, would it be an alternative to load the fabric diagonal and then be able to use the channel lock for nice straight lines?

Even advancing the fabric should be easier.

Just an idea of an unexperienced one...

Hi bonbon---

I didn't spray the layers together, but I suppose you could. The big throw was red and black plaid flannel and I did try to line up the plaid design and pinned together the edge I was loading first. Just pinned it to both leaders and rolled. These throws are so forgiving after clipped you just get a vague idea of the fabric design---you could see it was a plaid but a few of the subtle colors in the plaid didn't really show up.

You can mark a long 45 degree angle in about the middle and use your stitched lines as a guide for placing the rest of the diagonals. Check every now and then for a good angle. I use a long (24") acrylic ruler attached to the back leveler roller. At that angle you stitch about 18" down the top with each pass. Stitch all across--you can get very close to the edge and this will be trimmed any way. Advance the top and start stitching where you left off--no starts and stops--you just line up as best you can and drag the thread from row to row. At 18" a pass and 72" long, you only advance 4 times to stitch and you're done!

I don't think you will need a heavier needle--I used a 4.0 through 3 layers without a problem. If you don't have a slash cutter, scissors are OK but you might have really sore fingers after--especially if you need to cut through three top layers.

Hi Andrea---

I think loading the top diagonally might be a problem--it's quite large and I can't see how you could get it all stable. Maybe somebody out there has a great idea of how to do this. I really like that channel-lock idea. it would be soooo easy! Also, I think when you advance the top you would get excessive stretch because it's on the bias. Just a thought. We have a lot of brilliant thinkers as well as talented quilters out there, so what do you all think?

Linda in Olympia

Hi BonBon---

Gadgets and goodies forum is on the main page of the chat. Click on and the diagonal ruler thread is a way down the line. Pictures and info are posted. Pretty easy to make if you or your partner is handy! Email if you would like free instructions.

Linda in Olympia

Archived