From the Top OR Bottom w/ Templates?

Hi.

I am about to start quilting an old 1930's quilt. I will be using a clamshell template as an overall and a separate border treatment. So far my use of templates has been to start on the bottom of a space and build upon it - using the template's marks to align the subsequent rows...or from left to right, building one row upon another the same way. The template is marked on the bottom to help align the next row.

The approx. 80 x 90" quilt is on the frame and ready to go...if I begin the design from the top - as we are taught to do - the template markings do not help...they are on the bottom of the template, in "open space" there is nothing to align the marks with.

If I quilt from the bottom up...do I run the risk of pleats and puckers? Do I NOT baste from the top down, and just quilt from the bottom up, and baste as I go up???

OR do I baste the whole quilt as usual, then just quilt from the bottom up to the top of the quilt???

Does any of this make sense??

Thanks for any experiences you can share!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Hi Lisa,

do not baste as your machine will catch on all the areas of thread and make you crazy. Start at the top(the top being the take up roller) and quilt toward yourself. Usually you begin a row in the middle of the design because when you get to the bottom almost always you will have to quilt a partial row. This gives the quilt balance. I hope this helps.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

If there are no markings on your clear template (i think i know which one it is)...I mean, who it's made by...

Then do you have a dremel tool? If so, you can use that (very lightly) or a nail or something you can use to ETCH a marking line on the ruler which will indicate where to place the top of the quilted arch underneith that ruler. Let me see if I can draw with a hoot in paint.....so you can see what i'm talking about.

Thanks to you all...I decided to mark lines in chalk to give me a "base" line, then had to eye it from there. I am trying to keep the top of the template a 1/4" below the previous stitching. Not easy and not fast...but just what the quilt needs. The first six rows of 1" tall clamshells took at least an hour.

If I can only post pix!!

Lisa

Lisa, I know you have already started but I just wanted to let you know that I have started a quilt and worked from the center out. I had to do a lot of rolling but I got the results I wanted. You just have to be very careful to keep everything straight and also have plenty backing.

S

Hi Sandra.

You started from the center and worked up to the top, then rolles back to the center and worked back down? Did you baste from the center out as you went along?

I'm worried about the possibility of rolling-creasing-pleating problems.

I worked on it this morning. I had to eye the 1/4" down from the previous line and keep it all straight across. I took photos and have to find out how to post them.

Thanks!

Lisa

Archived