Comparing Wool Batting

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, you wool girls...

1. Do you offer wool to your customers?

2. Do you get many takers?

3. How do you charge? (I know no one ever answers this question - it was worth a try :))?

4. I have heard most people use wool when quilting show quilts, but do you use it for everyday quilts?

Inquiring minds.....

Hey MB,

I just finished a bolt of wool. I charge 2x(cost+shipping), which this last time was $10/yd (93in wide). Although it is more expensive than the cotton, it is still very reasonable. I have a client with kids in FL and exclusively uses wool on their quilts for the lightness. I recommend it for bed quilts all the time because if its warmness/coolness and lightness. I sell way more wool than Dream Puff. Dream Blend is still the biggest seller. I'm selling alot more batting. I guess once they get used to the ease of me having it, it becomes habit.

Donna

Donna,

We were writing at the same time :) Okay, so that is not a lot more than the Dream Blend. I like to quilt Dream Blend, but I don't see much definition in the quilting. I hate quilting feathers and then my DH looks at the quilt and asks if I'm going to quilt something in "that section". Last time is was on an off white background....I had to turn the lights off in the room for him to see that I had quilted "that section" :mad:

I like wool but was surprised to hear Sue Patten and Karen McTavish say the creases that are created when you fold a wool batting quilt are permanent. I thought that was one of the advantages of wool, no memory for the fold lines. What's the real story? Are the creases in wool permanent or not? I don't offer wool to my customers, if they want it they would definitely have to pay for the batting. Now I quilt and throw the batting in at no extra charge. Usually 80/20 or warm & nat cotton if they request it.

The reason I have alot of customers switching to wool is because it doesn't permenantly crease. I received a roll of wool that had been too tightly shrink wrapped and looked like an accordian. I was so upset having spent all that money for 25 yards of batting and have it ruined like that. After about 3 days, you couldn't tell it had ever been creased. I use it in all my own quilts and I love it. I'll never go back to cotton.

Our guild had a guest speaker recently who is a professional longarmer. She said she now refuses any quilts that are not made with wool batting as she finds the quilting much smoother and less problem-prone with the wool. She said she began by dropping quilts made with poly batting, and progressed to wool only!

Archived