Comparing Wool Batting

I think the fabric may retain a crease not the wool -- Quilter's Dream does not retain the memory of a crease -- studies have shown that quilts with wool batting actually helps reduce blood pressure -- the quilts are very soothing -- thus the request for wool batts -- my customers request wool and do not mind paying for it

S

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did email Hobbs, who are very good at replying quickly to customer inquiries, and here is the reply I received:

Janet,

That is great question and one we get a lot. It can take a few days for the creases to go away, but they are not permanent.

Our Tuscany Wool is one of our most popular products.

Regards, Joseph Hensley

Hobbs Bonded Fibers Retail Sales Manager

200 South Commerce Drive Waco, Texas 76710

Office # 254-741-0040

Mobile# 254-744-7902

I recently bought some Hobbs Wool off the bolt and the loft was very inconsistent. There were areas where the thickness was almost half that of other areas. I don't know if this bolt was a fluke, but I would be reluctant to buy it again. This was not the Tuscany Wool. I have used Dream Wool and love it.

A little off-subject--I went to an alpaca show yesterday and fell in love with the critters. They had a sample of alpaca fleece enclosed in fabric (very utilitarian-looking--kinda like a comforter only with 4 inch square channels) and it was literally light as a feather. The R value must be huge--lots of air trapped in the fibers. The woman showing the fleece had a light-bulb moment when I asked about specialty batting.

And Dennis says no alpacas, Linda!! But they are beautiful and produce the most gorgeous yarn, felted goods, and also baby alpacas!:cool:

And they are nicer than Llamas (spelling?) :D And yes, I have heard that their wool is very nice. You could get a whole bunch of 'em and sheer the Alpaca's and card the stuff (fleece/wool/hair) and then sell it to us...we'll buy it...we buy everything quilty:P:D

I've tried the alpaca batting and it is luscious! I showed my customers but there wasn't much interest, maybe the price put them off. It is very light-weight and supposed to be super warm...I was told it's because it is a hollow fibre. I ordered it from the states, but the name of the company is on the tip of my tongue, I could look it up later. I so wanted to order a roll of alpaca batting but I didn't because I just didn't know if it would sell, and it was a big investment at the time.

Actually, I just finished a sweater made of alpaca yarn. It's so soft and light-weight as well, I love it and loved working with it!

I love the Hobbs Tuscany wool. Quilts beautifully and really defines the quilting. I bought a king size silk batting, and a king size Hobbs washable wool by mistake. I guess I'll be able to compare them all pretty soon!:P I bought the washable wool when I was trying to buy the Tuscany. Then I hit the wrong button and bought the silk batt. Third time I got it right!:D

MB,

Didn't get around to answering your question earlier - I do very little customer quilting. My mom quilters like the Dream Puff the best combined with flannel backing for their little ones. Being from the northwest, they are looking for soft and warm. I use flannel backing on most my charity quilts for little ones.

As to the wool - have not done any for a customer as of yet, but several for gifts and those who have received my wool (dream wool) batting quilts love! them. Since I get my batting in pkgs. instead of on the roll I have started misting the batting and putting in the dryer for a short while prior to quilting. The wool puffs up a bit and all package wrinkles are gone - do the same with Dream Puff. I have washed all of them prior to presenting as gifts and they wash beautifully. I have to order any batting I use. We have only one LQS in La Quinta and the owner only carries cotton - have tried to talk her into giving us a choice - but no way at this point. So, to answer your question, when I do a customer quilt - I provide the batting and charge exactly what it costs me.

Yes I use quilter's dream wool off the bolt and it is really nice. My daughter, who is home for a couple of days, slept under a new quilt made with it last night for the first time, and this morning asked what was different about that quilt. She found it softer and more snuggly than the cotton I used on ones I have given her, as well as lighter and warmer. I think I may just get rid of the cotton and stick with the wool.

We had a longarm quilter at our guild recently (the one who now only works with wool batted quilts) and in the quilts she brought were a mix of cotton batt quits and wool batt quilts. I liked the soft, slighly puffy feel of the wool quilts, which were noticeably supple, more drape-y than the cottons. I can't wait to try a wool batt in my next quilt!

Laura,

I have heard though can't confirm that some people allergic to the wool do not have a problem with the wool batting because it is encased in the cotton fabric. You might want to make up a small quilt and just see what happens - make it a wall hanging so it won't go to waste once you have determined whether you can use it or not.

Wool often bothers me when it comes in direct contact with my skin, but once separated by a light blouse, no problem. I have no problems quilting with the wool batting. I have only used the Quilters Dream brand.

I googled it...

http://www.quiltingassistant.com/batting.html

Wool Batting : Wool is easy to handle, and will certainly provide a great deal of warmth. It is more costly than cotton or polyester batts, however. Bearding, or fibers that travel through the quilt top giving it a halo effect, is fairly common with wool batts. Also, there is some risk of moth damage over time.

http://www.poly-fil.com/battingchoice.asp

Wool batting

Wool batting, although expensive, offers many of the same qualities as cotton batting. It is soft, drapable, and when intricately quilted, gives a beautiful textural dimension to the quilt. Wool batting offers natural warmth with relatively little weight. For ease in handling and reduction in fiber migration, most wool batting is finished with a cheesecloth or lightweight fabric cover.

Wool batting is produced from long virgin-wool fibers. First the wool is scoured to remove the dirt and yolk (natural oils). Then it is moth-proofed by impregnating the fibers with chemicals that resist moth larvae. The wool is then carded, where the fibers are opened, mixed and finally formed into an even blanket. Like cotton, the natural felting property of the wool fibers helps to hold the batting together

http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/insects.html

The larvae of these moths and beetles will attack hair, horn, feathers, wool, mounted insects (like butterflies), mounted birds, mounted animals, furs, horsehair stuffing in upholstery, wool batting in quilts.

I could go on....just google: wool batting moths

I just finished a small quilt with Hobbs Washable Wool batting. It's the first time I have tried it. It is puffier than the Quilter's Dream Wool that I have used before. The package directions say that the finished quilt can be washed in cool water and then hung or laid flat to dry(recommended) and then put on air fluff for the last bit of drying. NO HEAT. I put my quilts with Quilter's Dream Wool right in the washer and dryer with no problem. Never thought about moths though! If you contact Debbi Trevino at villagequiltworks.com she has an "ultimate batting chart" that compares all the battings, how they are made, if their advertising is accurate, all the qualities of the batting, etc. It is really informative.

Ok ladies, I think I will order some wool batts, both Quilter's Dream and some Hobbs and compare across crib quilts.

QD is seriously difficult to get here in Canada, and all wool batting is hard to get and expensive here in Vancouver, BC. I have had at least one surreal conversation with local sales reps.

My best option is ordering it online from the US and having it mailed to me, either here at home or to a nearby USA parcel depot (I live minutes from the border).

I will let you know how the two compare....may be awhile!

Meanwhile, a big thankyou for all the help and advice!

Regards,

Janet

Archived