Basting In CQ and Stitch & Speed Control

CarolO

Help.

When I am basting the sides of a quilte, the needle tends to stick as it advances just enough to make me uncomfortable. I have my stitches on 8 per inch and the machine is going rather slow. Any ideas as to why the needle tends to stick?

Also, I can't seem to get the length of the basting to change. It always stitches 10".

One other thing that has been a problem for some time is the size of the stitches and the speed control. I had it working for just a bit when I was on the phone with Amy at APQS, but I had to check some info on the computer before I continued and was gone about half an hour or so. When I went back to the machine it was doing the same as before. The only control I have is with the gage on the front of the machine. The little black box on the top of the head is useless. So When I set the gage on the front with the green button at 8 stitches per inch, it goes very slow. If I set the gage at 13 stitches per inch or more, it's off to the races.

Any help would be appreciated.

Carol Osburn

Amarillo Tx

Hi Carol

When I do the basting around the edges of the quilt and am using CQ to do the rest of the quilt, this is what I do.

Turn the computer on and wait for it to fully load showing the Set-Up page

Turn on the power to my Milli, leave the flick switch on the black box at OFF

Set the speed dial to around 10

Start stitching by activating the stitch regulator ie. left green button right blue button.

When you've done your basting, flick the switch to ON and turn on the motor box.

I have my sts per inch on the slider set at 120-140 mostly (depends on whether the pattern has lots of sharp turns or not), if its a really small intricate pattern I might set it to around 100. I don't usually adjust the black box, if yours isn't working call SD and they will help you.

It sounds to me as though you are not engaging the stitch regulator just running it in manual, because when the stitch regulator is engaged the machine stitches at the speed you move the machine - can be fast or slow but the stitch length stays the same.

Let me know if this is not clear - its before my first coffee for the day

Sue in Australia

I don't use the CQ for basting. I just unscrew the blocks and do it manually. I have a friend who lines it up horizontally and unscrews the vertical block then manually bastes the sides. It doesn't take that much more time to do it manually.

Thank you to those who replied to my plea of help. I called Butch at S&D Stitches and he gave me the following information for basting on the CQ.

1. Put the slider on the computer screen on 200.

2. Put the black box on the top of the head at 150 and

3. On the Gage on the front of the machine, put the

stitches per inch on 8.

And with advise I got from Nadia, I have the Straight Line stitch that I downloaded from S&D Stitches as one of my six patterns choices on the setup page so that it is always handy. I baste across the top by putting the desired inches in the pattern width box. When I want to baste stitch down the sides, I set the pattern rotate box at -90 degrees. It works beautifully!!!

It's very easy when you know how to do it. I have always disconnected the cables and basted in manual mode. From now on, I will baste in the CQ mode.

Thanks to Butch and all others who are so good to contribute to help others.

Carol from Amarillo

Millennium with CQ

Isn't it great that we have so many options to accomplish the same task?! I've been using CQ to baste down the sides with the straight line, but the last few quilts have NOT been square, and rather than causing extra fullness in the centre of the quilt by forcing the edges to run straight, I've been basting them manually. I don't think it takes any more time, just a few more steps, which I'm sure don't hurt me any! :P

Darlene,

Yes, having the quilt square sure would make the difference. I'm just getting started again so when I get more quilts, I will sure keep this in mind and decide which method to use. Thanks for bringing this to me attention.

I have been trying to use my Smilies, but all I get is the (:o) symbols. How do I get the actual Smilie to show up on my replies?

Carol in Amarillo

Quilting with Carol

Hi Carol

I haven't tried this, it seems like it should work though if the edges of the quilt are not straight.

What about we do exactly as you described but when the quilt wavers 1/4" one way or the other, if we hit the red button, then we'll get the choice to abort, continue or Restart I wonder if we could just hit Abort, jog the machine across 1/4" then hit run?

OK I'll try it tomorrow and come back and let you know if it works. That would save doing the manual thing that I've been doing too Darlene.

Happy Easter to you all

Sue in Australia

Carol,

Here's what I do when I'm basting the sides of the quilt top. I have an Ultimate I instead of the Milli, so I don't have a stitch regulator. In your positon I would turn off the regulator and set my speed to about 2.5 to 2.75 on the rheostat. This way the machine will go slow enough and not too fast to do you basting on the side. Regards, zeke..................

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have responded.

I haven't done much quilting lately so haven't had a chance to try out everyone methods, but will do so shortly. I do like that I can now do it on the CP if I choose, but who knows, I may just use the one that fits the circumstance the best.

Again thanks,

Carol from Amarillo ;)

Archived