machine quilting as a business

I am interested in buying a long arm to start my own business. My question is how long will it take for the machine to pay for itself? How long does it take to machine quilt a top? Which is the best machine to start with? How big does the room you put one in have to be?

I have never machine quilted before. I have pieced and hand quilted and sent several tops out to be quilted (very basic pattern).

Michele

Michele:

If you will do a search through the archives here, you will find that your questions have been asked and answered in the past. Most everyone has those same questions when beginning the research phase of purchasing a longarm. There is so much information in the archives, I think you'll enjoy your time reading through them.

As far as your questions, my answers are:

1. How long does it take for the machine to pay for itself? It depends on many factors, such as:

how long it takes for you to practice before taking on paying clients. Some spend a month practicing, some spend several months.

how much business you attract right off the bat. Some longarmers are booked solid not long after hanging their shingle. Some, who have posted recently on here, are getting concerned that they are not getting business.

how much time you have to spend quilting. I quilt sometimes 18 hours a day. Individual circumstances will dictate how many hours you can (or want) to quilt.

2. How long does it take to machine quilt a top? Depends! How large is the top. Obviously it will take longer to quilt a 120 x 120 top than it will to quilt a 70 x 80 top. It depends on on so many factors. I can meander a 120 x 120 top in 4 or 5 hours (I'm guessing .. I don't really time myself) where a custom or heirloom job on the same size could take 60 - 80 or more hours.

3. Which machine is best? Of course . . APQS! :) Most of us here swear the APQS is the best or that wouldn't be the machine we own. Others love their brands. The best thing to do is go to a show, try them all out, do your research and make the decision based on your own preferences.

4. How big does the room need to be? As big as you can get! Some make it with some really compact quarters. My table is 12 foot and I'm in a room now that is about 17 x 20 and I think that's really tight. I have shelf units in there for the quilts, bookcases for the books, batting everywhere. If you have a room already, you might want to post the dimensions and maybe someone with the same size or close to the same size room will respond.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search

Michelle,

One more thing to consider is how many machine quilters you have in your area that are in business. Check around with the local quilt shops, and fabric stores. You might even surf the internet for quilters in your area, if they advertise that way. It seems to be a very competitive business and it seems there are a lot of people purchasing machines lately. Good luck with your business, and by the way I recommend the Milli by APQS, might as well go for the best!!;)

Blessings,

Mary Beth

Even with searches, beware, I thought there were only two lA'rs in RI doing business its more like 10! not to mention near by Mass and CT, Do your homework its a real business that takes real dedication, but its rewarding too,

good luck and take your time

Susan

Michelle,

Longarm quilting is great way to work when and where you want to. The thing is to find a good used machine to start with and then progress to a larger machine later. As for starting a business it all take time, the time that you learn to use your machine and the time that your willing to put in to sell yourself. Like everyone has said do research and try several different machines. Trade shows are great for finding different models. Good luck and let me know how you did. My email address is dan-val@peoplepc.com

From my point of view, I don't think I would have even thought of buying

my own Long Arm, until I knew "how" to use it correctly.

I was very lucky to work in a Sewing shop with a wonderful lady who gave

me a chance, and taught me how to use her machine. I worked there for

2 years and ever Christmas rush season was nuts! Life changes happened

and she choose to close her shop and move out of state. I had the thought

and asked if she was moving her Long Arm. She was selling almost every-

thing else. I was lucky and she sold me the machine she taught me one!

I love it! But yes, there are other Long Arm Quilters in my area. I also want

to mention, look at what kind of work they are doing, try to find out what

they charge for their work. Good luck - and yes - APQS is the BEST!

Michele,

Even if there are longarms in your area find out what they specialize in doing. Maybe there is something that they don't do and you may love doing that type of quilting. I did all the research I could and then found a dealer that I could go to and try out a machine. I just bought an APQS freedom and love it! And I don't even have the stitch regulater on it.

Don't rush into buying any machine take your time and do the comparing.

Good luck

Char

Archived