Now that's a big wall hanging

Wow, that is really, really pretty. Do you think the people who own the couch ever say, "Please don't sit on the quilt." ?

On Easter Sunday a neighbor came over visit and look at some of my quilts. I spread an antique quilt out on the bed for her to look at and she promptly sat down on it! gulp...I really wanted to tell her to get up! but I didn't want to hurt her feelings either. Oh well, I think the quilt survived.

Beautiful work you are doing. Thanks for sharing the photos with us. ~~ Eva H.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is stunning!! What a great job on a beautiful big ol' wallhanging. We need a better name for this piece. Shana said "quilted wall panel"-and I like that--or BA Quilted piece--or "hoo mama that's one giant quilt"--:P:P

I would love to have been there when the (obviously talented) upholsterer cut into Debbi's quilted fabric to start the sofa re-do! Can you imagine if he/she had mis-cut it!! Too much stress for me!

The sofa is a work of art--everything about it!!

Very classy indeed! If that were my sofa no bottom would ever rest there! I'd have "please do not sit"signs on it lol. Id be guessing they don't have sticky children or pets with claws.

Oh...just had a vision of a tiddly woman staggering toward it with a glass of red in her hand....

Seriously though, that's really amazingly beautiful. I would love to see the room when it's all done. Deb, your quilting is fantastic.

Thanks again. To answer several questions...

1. The applique is done by hand. Each applique is done on one block then she pieced the blocks together. Better her than me. I hate hand work!! My understanding is that some decorative board will be wrapped around the raw edges of the wall hanging, kind of like a frame.

2. The large panel has 30 hours of quilting and 20 prewound bobbins.

3. The couch and the wall hangings are in 2 different places. The couch is in some victorian house in the NYC area. I did the quilting for it about a year ago. The wall hangings will go in an penthouse suite in Detroit. It is the top floor of some new swanky hotel that is being built. She says it's going to be almost like wallpaper. Should be very interesting when it's done.

I kinda like "hoo mama that's one giant quilt" for a name. She told me it was big. I about choked when I took it out of the box.

The next batch of panels arrived a little bit ago. The are small in comparision. Most of them are 8" X 69". Piece of cake.

So far I have quilted 22 sq yards of fabric, used 51 bobbins and have 71 hours of quilting time logged outlining applique and echoing!! :P That's a lot of work. No wonder I'm tired!!:P 22 pieces left and counting.....

The applique and your quilting are amazingly beautiful!

Even though it's Hawaiian style applique the motifs appear to be very traditional. Also, the soft blue and white look very Swedish. I wonder if the sofa is an antique. The upholsterer did a fantastic job as well.

Congrats on getting that commission!

Debbi,

I just read the second page and your info on time involved. Just think about the nice paycheck whenever you get tired of quilting!:D

As a former interior designer I can say I would have been thrilled to have someone like you do the quilting for me at that time. The only thing I ever had quilted was yardage and my drapery workroom did it.

When I get really good I might have to hit up some of my designer associates for work!:P

Debbi

Both pieces are amazing.

The sofa is so unusual and must be staggeringly expensive. She/he who owns it mustn't be a quilter or they would never bring themselves to sit on it.

Did the designer do tests to see how the stitching would hold when sat on under tension? What sort of fabric and threads were used and if much thicker than the norm, how did your machine cope?

WOW, I hope you are able to put a label or something on these works of art. The designer must have allot of confidence in your work to get you this job. You must be proud and humble of this accomplishment. Good going Girl. This will bring in more high $$$ jobs to you. Show us more when you finish.

GORGEOUS! I would NEVER sit on that couch. I would put up some of those plush rope keep away from here thingys and charge admission to look at it. I hope you can post pictures of the finished room with your quilted wallhangings after they go up. What a unique idea.

Archived