Just Finished Shop Quilt!!

I just finished this quilt for my LQS which I do one a yr. for having my business cards in the shop. I am a little upset right now so I won't go into any details other than I don't believe I get to buy this quilt like I usually have the option to do. I will explain more when I'm not so upset.

Be as HONEST with me as possible because this quilt was pieced very well but she needed it in a hurry. So other then the obvious no-no, not burying my threads, tell me what you think of my Custom work.

I used one line of the Spiral Square (CL) and 2 of Myrna's Wavy Rulers, and SID and in the outside border,you won't believe this.........I actually used the King 7-Treasures (CL).

Soooooo girls and boys here are a couple of pics and the rest you can see on my webshots.

I will be putting more pics on the webshots very soon. I'm working at it......:D:o:D

post--13461901595844_thumb.jpg

From what I can tell, is your thread metallic, variegated?

The straight lines are straight, the curves are smooth. The choice and placement of designs enhance the piecing. Good mixture of circles/straight and I'd say it's a winner! Your margins in the triangles are meticulous!

I'm sorry to hear you're distraught over this beauty. If I had a chance to trade quilting for advertisement, then the option to purchase the quilt I worked on, and then it was taken away from me, especially when I fell in love with it, I'd be distraught too.

I hope things work out for you in the end. My condolences. . .

The thread I used was varigated King Tut, and Monopoly for the SID. Sorry I didn't state that to begin with Bonnie, I always like it when they give the details of their quilting also.;)

Thanks for the nice compliments and when the quilt is hanging up in the shop I will put up a better picture. It should be hanging by the end of the week.

I really like it.......however, if you want us to be brutally honest here goes. The only thing I see that could be different is the wavy line next to the purple inside border and your scallops could be better constructed. It looks like they don't fit. Otherwise, the rest if fabulous.

Renae - it looks great.

Did I understand that you used the 7 Treasures? Is that what you used to make those swags? I wondered because they did not connect but I love the effect it gives that border. I am going to have to try that. How big was that border to have room for 2 arcs?

I like the the wavy line but I see what Sharon is saying. I think the border might have had more presence if you had repeated that wave a second or maybe a third time.

Now that I have seen this quilt, I understand what you were talking about on the phone. I would be upset to lose that one.

Originally posted by Renae

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I'm feeling better and if I don't get to buy the quilt like I usually do ........so be it. I'll get over it. It just burned me since I spent so much time on it. :)

Renae, honey... then if you really want it this badly then do what I would do: Get the fabrics, piece the top together and then quilt the living daylights out of it and then...KEEP IT ALL FOR YOURSELF!! :)

How's that for a brilliant idea? Huh??? ;)

PS: I'll bet YOUR quilt is much prettier than the quilt shop sample...So, THERE!!! You can do the "nanner nanner nanner!" to the quilt shop sample whenever you see it there in the shop all lonely hanging on that wall and then you can go home and snuggle under YOUR quilt and be happy. :)

See? I'm a genius!

The quilted triangles in the black fabric look so good. You have done a really nice job of getting the lines just right. Nice quilting on the rest of the quilt too. You're disappointed now because you won't get the chance to purchase the quilt, but you won't be disappointed when you see the quilt hanging in the shop, you'll be glad you did put so much effort in and I am sure you will be reaping the rewards for a long time to come.

I will show my lack of tact and diplomacy and and as, why are you concerned about your quilting? It's good, I do agree the wavy line could do with a bit more omph, and I love the idea of giving it an echo it would match the echo in the triangles to my way of thinking. For me though that would be proper judging level nit picking. You've done a good job, as I said my main worry is why you are so concerned?

Ferret

You all are great and I trust ALL of you for your honest opinions.

Some of you asked, why am I so "worried" or "concerned" about my quilting? Well, I am a perfectionist (sp) or try to be and I know it doesn't compare to most of you. I love to see your quilts posted up here and I admire ALL of you and your quilting sooooo much and wish mine was just as good. But I know it will take time and practice......so I just keep trying. That is why I want honest opinions so I can keep learning.

Now I know I should have put at least 1 or 2 mor echo waves in the second set of borders. It just helps me learn more for the next quilt.

Sorry Renae but you did ask us to be honest....I'm also a nit picker of my own work......to a point.

I use adding machine tape to mark my areas. I measure half the area I'm working on then keep dividing it evenly till I come up with something I can work with, then start from the center and work out. If my cables or scallops don't meet on the end seam, then I do something decorative in the corners to make it connect. Tracey Browning from constantine quilts has an excellent video on her website that shows what she does.

The rest of the quilting is drop dead gorgeous tho, you have no reason to second guess yourself.

Reane,

I love the fact that you want honest input. I think these are the things that help us grow as quilters. We all love to give each other encouragement but without giving us some technical input, how are we to know what would have worked or what didn't. We are not all going to agree on certain points all the time, but take what makes you grow and run with it.

Every quilt is a different "job" and you know best what efforts you should do or it doesn't need. I think the quilt is nice the way you did it considering the time constraints, but if you had more time would you have put it over the top? I bet so.

The only technical advice I can give you besides what was mentioned here is to not start your motifs, such as your triangle, at the corners. Other than that I think your whole design works beautifully.

I have never thought of that Sharon but sounds like it would work very easy. I will have to give it a try.

I just love this chat room.......everyone is sooo helpful and not affraid to give you ideas. Not to mention my ego a big boost..:D:D You all are great!!! Thanks everyone and I love the quilt and I think I did a pretty good job myself, is that bad to say?? I am just sooooooo happy to know what I can do to improve the next time.......;););) That is the BEST thing of all. How do you thank friends for that????? But thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all.:):) I know now I will post a lot more of my quilts because you will tell me what you really think of them; or if you like them as they are or if I could have changed them and done something just a little different to make them better. I love this place!!

I didn't know that Joanne. I thought you always started the motifs like the triangles in the corner. HMMMMM! I will remember that next time. Thanks! ;)

You are right though, I wanted this quilt quilted over the top!!! But it just wasn't to be. Maybe next year.

Archived