Accu Quilt cutter

I have read the previous posts about the Accu Quilt systems and am really interested in buying one. You know, I want one but don't really need one. Well, here is my question...

I don't own a quilt shop, I am a longarmer like most of you. I work very closely with the local shop owner, working in her booth at all shows and teaching at her shop, and in return she sends me a ton of business and gives me discounts on my fabric. I'm trying to come up with some way to make it profitable for the two of us to go together to purchase one of these. I can see how she could make money being the shop owner but I want to present her with a win/win proposal that she would want to bring me in as a partner on this system.

In short, I would like to somehow make money for the long term by being a part owner in a system that is at her shop, cutting her fabric, selling her kits, renting to her customers, etc, etc. Except for the high cost I can't understand why she hasn't purchased one. If I owned a shop I wouldn't think twice.

So, what say everyone, can you think of ideas I can add to my proposal of why we should go together and turn this in to a partnership?

Mindy

thanks for the extra info. I had no idea the fabric had to be pressed and starched to get the best cut. I do have the catalog, I was at the Chicago show yesterday and watched the demo and picked up the catalog. I don't think the fabric she had looked like it had been starched though

I was wondering about precutting the strips before using the cutter to cut the strips. Since the whole tray/cutter thing has to roll under the roller thing I figured you couldn't just lay a piece of fabric up there that was hanging over the side. Plus I have read where others were concerned about the amount of wasted fabric, I'm not in to wasted fabric.

I joined the yahoo group for accuquilt owners and potential owners so I read and learn there a bit and see what happens.

thanks for the info.

One of our local fabric stores, sells block of the month's made from the Accucut system. They did one last year and they are again this year. She sells the first block for that month for $1 and any more blocks or blocks from another month for $5. They usually sell out. I haven't finished all of mine, but I know people that have and they haven't had any problems. I don't know where she gets the patterns from, but she prints up directions to go with them. Then at the end of the 12 months she has a finishing kit to go with it and the price is a little higher, but it has all the directions and the binding is cut. You only have to furnish the backing.

I would not personally own one, as I don't think I would use it enough, but if I had a store, I would, this is another ideafor you. I have been in several stores that have them.

Just my thoughts!

Shirley

I have been looking at the Go Cutter too & it was great to hear your opinion Sparkle.

I am very impulsive too & could only think of all the benefits the system could bring.

I have emailed the Accuquilt website several time asking for a shipping price but they have not emailed me back.

My next step was going to be to ask on here if anyone was close to a shop that sold the Go Cutters & if it would be possible

to obtain one that way. I would also need the dies so i think shipping would be expensive.

I would still like prices so if anyone knows where I could get prices & shipping costs I would love to hear from you!

I am in Australia

Thanks

Hi! I have owned a studio cutter for a while and run a custom business with it. It is a HUGE investment. I probably have $3,000+ invested in dies.

As mentioned before, pressing and starching the fabric is a must.

I really love the accurate cuts I get. I have a fear of cutting off a finger with a rotary cutter (silly, I know!). I have also grown to love applique more and more since owning the die cut machine.

email me and we can talk more! I need to join the yahoo group!

Rose Hall

I have been looking at the "Cricket" system. Not too pleased with the lack of dyes but the price is ALOT better than the Accucut! I have a lot of contemplating to do! Accucut will make dyes for you but I have not looked into that particular expense. As far as the waste-alot of people LOVE to buy scrap bags-just another thought for your business venture. I want the cutting system for myself not for a business venture, that tends to make me not look for the "cost effectivness" LOL I think that's how they get us!! :P:P:P

It has been interesting reading the above comments. You are all a little too late for me though as I bit the bullet and ordered an Accucut system this past week. It is to be delivered by UPS today. I just purchased some basic dyes and the Scottie dog one. My dog Dexter is a Scottie. I didn't buy this as an investment as I only piece and/or quilt for myself, my sister, and charity. Hence, cost effectiveness was not something I considered, ease of use and speedy piece cutting was.

Pamela

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love my accucut. I just bought 5 more dies, including the 2 and 1/2 in strip cutter. Its suppose to come tomarrow and I can't wait to use it. The dies are alittle expensive but so are alot of other quilting toys out there. I bought the Go and at the time, I had my quilting area in my home. I just moved my business to an building where I have alot more room. Now the Studio would probably a better choice for me. But I have so much invested in the Go, I almost have to stay with that choice.

Here's my viewpoint. I would like to make quilts with these 30's blocks.

The Golden Glow has 25 pieces per block.

2370411420100404369S200x200Q85.jpg

The Four Leaf Clover has 48 pieces per block. This picture is just a quarter of the block.

2992293820100404369S200x200Q85.jpg

The Brokenstar is a kit priced at $28. It has a total of 1132 pieces.

2343661380100404369S200x200Q85.jpg

My LQS is offering this service by a lady who bought the AccuCut system. I haven't checked her prices yet, but would it be possible to have pieces cut for these two blocks and not cost any more than a pre-cut kit?

If you can do that, you've got a customer.

If you are limited by AccuCut's die selection, I'd say your customers will be disappointed. I would want custom cutting and I don't know if that is possible.:o

I looked at the website and saw the "custom" die ordering process. It would probably at my best guess cost at least $100 for the die to do the simple Golden Glow--five pieces. That's just for the die!

I was looking at the Broken Star kit. The packaging has no information about the fabric content. On their website the fabric is polycotton. I would never use polyester in any of my quilts, so there's another possibility for using the services of an AccuCut cutter. Would it cost me more than $28 to have 1150 pieces of Broken Star diamonds cut? And then I think about how long it would take me with template and rotary cutter to cut that many diamonds.

I'm still considering, but this sort of causes me to look at the options--buy the machine, or buy the services?

I bought the GO back in April and have mainly been cutting 3 1/2 squares as that is the project I am currently working on.

I haven't starched anything but do iron but I would iron even if I was rotary cutting. The 3 1/2 squares have been perfect so maybe it is just dumb luck on my part.

I have also done some strip cutting with the 2 1/2 die. I read on the yahoo group site that Accucut is coming out with a 1 1/2 and 2 inch strip cutter which I am also very interested in.

All I can tell you is my experience has been very positive. If you don't plan on doing tons and tons of cutting, the GO would probably work out just fine. I LOVE gadgets but for me, I decided that the Studio was overkill. Heck, if I change my mind, I am sure it will still be there.

• 2 months later...

I have had my AccuQuilt Studio for a few months now and I love it!! I have a quilt shop as well as my longarm business. For my shop needs, the GO didn't make sense because I wanted to be able to cut multiple blocks at one time. I did try a GO for a few weeks, have mixed feelings about it as far as the cost, especially if you have the service available. One thing you need to make sure of when checking internet for info and for the websites - be sure that you are looking and reading about AccuQuilt systems, NOT AccuCut. They are two different models made by the same company. the AccuCut originally came out for paper (scrap booking, etc.) but was also marketed for cutting fabric. After a few years the company redesigned/upgraded to the AccuQuilt system which is far better for fabric than the older models. As far as needing a lot of dies, they are packaged in sets. One of the sets I have will virtually make any traditional block combination you want to put together. Yes, I'd say the whole package was a HUGE investment, but so far so good.

And as far as your questions Mindy . . . I would have loved to have someone offer to go in on this with me!! Sharing cost and time sounds like a great idea!!

Zebra...

Welcome to the forum. We have a Midwestern Quilting group that we have formed and have gotten together about 3 times now. Hoping you can join in. What quilt shop do you own in Kearney? I'll have to stop in when my hubby's out working claims...i'll hop in the car with him and shop for the day.

Archived