I feel like a REAL quilter now

posted on 6/14/04 at 07:31

I am sooooooo jazzed right now

I purchased a queensize top - drunkards path, 30s thru 50s prints from our guilds donation table for only $7.50. It was purchased to be a practice quilt. It had a horrible black and yellow border so I replaced that with a retro lavender with tiny pale green ditzies fabric in a 6" wide border. It just popped that quilt:-) It was pieced with a natural muslin background so I used a high thread count muslin on the back and used cotton thread (Superior) in a cream color. Put it on the machine and did the old 'stand and stare' thing for awhile and then decided to just go for it, no marking, no plan in mind. I now understand what quilters mean when they say 'let the quilt talk to you'. Either it talked to me or Big Girl just instinctively knew what to do. There are echoed feathers in the wreaths, echoed feathers in the centers and hooks and fleur d' leis (?) in the corner and side pieces. Lol, I am so pleased with myself can you tell? It was like a light went on in my head and I don't think I will ever be a nervous wreck again about doing a custom/freehand quilt. The back is so pretty with that thread because it has almost a pearlized sheen to it. I took pictures but the light is bad and my digital is old. Going to try it outside with a regular camera this week.

I am also starting my first quilt journal and making a label for this one.

This was a first time to just start doing it and never look back or regret my decision. It was very stress free! I know I will never stop learning but I really feel like I can now call myself a LA Quilter without qualifying it with the word 'beginner'.

Mary and Big Girl in CA.

Guest Linda S

Mary - how thrilling! I can feel your excitement. That must have been so fun. It will be some time before I get there, I'm sure. I hope you do get some good photos. It sounds so pretty -- I would love to see it.

Linda

Archived