Sort of Quilting Related - House Keeping

CherylUribe

I got an I-Robot!!!

Last month we re-did our floors in most of the house in hard wood. Needless to say it shows debris/dirt and needs to be vacuumed often. I, like most quilters hate to clean! Mentioned to my husband that I need a Roomba Vac so I have more time to quilt. Yesterday he brought one home for me! I love it! One problem though, it is so fun to watch I am wasting time following it around!

If you want to save your time for quilting, I highly recommend the Robot Vac- Roomba!!!!!!

Cheryl

Cheryl, does it clean the dust that accumulates on the hard wood floors. If so, then sign me up for one. I manage to keep my studio pretty clean but the rest of my house gets ignored most of the time. In fact, I just told my dh that I wanted all new furniture and that I wanted everything to be the color of dust. We put hard wood floors in last year and they are that beautiful dark wood that just shines when they are clean. What was I thinking???

Happy Quilting,

Guest Linda S

I was just wondering if it would terrify my cats. Also, does it pick up flowerhead pins? I always seem to have so many of them on the floor, even though I only use them to hold the borders in place until I get them stabilized. I have a great vacuum for downstairs, but one for the wood floors in the quilt room might be nice.

Linda

I agree with Mary Beth...it's so nice to have a husband who cleans house and either cooks or is willing to go pick up chinese food occaisionally. He wants me to have enough quilting time to pay the thing off though, so he is really motivated to free up my time.

My DH got me one for Christmas. It does a good job. I have 2 large dogs and the first week it would stop before finishing its run and need to be cleaned (giant mutant dust bunnies cloged its brush. Now since it runs everyday my DH says he dumps it out and cleans the brush most every day but can skip a day now and then.

What it lacks in sucking power it makes up in repitition. It will go over an area many times.

It also encourages you to keep the floor picked up. It will get stuck in dropped socks but bounce off of shoes.

One of our dogs leaves the room the minute "Sonny" comes on but the other one tends to ignore it, at least until the day it got its brush caught in the dogs long hair of its tail. Luckily my son was here and got him unstuck.

Sandra! You are so funny! your right about the socks and shoes! I don't have pets, your story is cute about the dogs! I friend of mine says her dog follows it but stays out of the way.

It does keep the dust off the floors. Today I will try the Swiffer after I-Robot to see how dirty it is. I will let you know.

Corners beautifully! I am amazed! It has a little brush that sweeps as it vacuum's. It sweeps debris into it's path.

Since you asked Linda, I put a flower head pin in it's path and it picked up!

I think Sandra answered the question about capacity.

It works on Carpet, Lino, Tile etc.

I'm in Love!

Cheryl

Guest Linda S

Better yet, I see Bernina is having a new sweepstakes you can enter. One of the major prizes is maid service for a year!! Now THAT'S my idea of housework!

Linda

Maid service for a year! That sounds wonderful. I used to be good about cleaning - now....well, let's just say that my dh and son help alot!

I have never heard about these vacuums - remember that I live in France. I don't think they have hit the market here yet. I have to go online to see what you are all talking about.

I just seen the ad for robot that mops the floor and they called it Scooba, made by the same company as the vaccum. I have 3 teenage boys and if they want me to make supper they have to help clean. Plus I have a lady come in once everyother week to clean.

I can only imagine what my yellow lab would do if we had one of these for the new house. (it has all hard wood floors throughout the house) I would be watching him try and play with this thing.

Char:D

I was raised in South Louisiana - just north of New Orleans - and inherited from my sweet Father a house full of 18th/19th century antiques. He used to roll his eyes at me, but I believe dust is a protective covering for fine wood furniture. And, judging from the beating that my 30# Snow-Shoe Siamese gives his automatic liter box, that poor robot wouldn't last more than 24 hours in my house. Every time the liter box does it's job, from upstairs I can hear Sam's rapid fire paw spanking!

I guess Lee is my Robot although I never really thought of him in that way. lol

I'm lucky that he does 98% of the cooking and all the laundry. He keeps a spotless kitchen and clean floors.

I have to do the bathrooms. He refuses. lol

He is going on a job tomorrow and well for about 5 weeks I will be on my own. I can live on Chicken noodle soup. lol

I usually loose about 5 or ten lbs when he leaves. lol Good diet program. LOLOL

You don't know how well you have it until it GONE! lololol

Mine is the Discovery (how fitting!) Roomba by I-Robot.

My husband got it on sale at Home Depot.

3 of my friends here have got one since I got mine a few days ago!

Tammy, you are so funny! I remember meeting Lee, he does treat you like a Queen. Rightfully so!

Cynthia, I like your reward special idea! We would probably have a record sales month!

I've seen the Scooba. Unfortunately it would not work for my floor. I sure would get it if I could!

My new joke when someone calls when I-Robot is on, they'll ask what I'm doing and I say, "vacuuming!" Or husband asks what I did all day, "vaccume!" I'm such a good house keeper!

My brother in-law says it is the ultimate in laziness! I have to laugh at him!

Cheryl

One of my good friends got a Roomba for Christmas from her husband. Her dog is afraid of it and runs and hides when it is running. Her only complaint is that it sometimes gets stuck in odd spots, under furniture, etc. and she is constantly "Rescuing" her Roomba. She says it does a good job on pet hair.

Colleen

The Roomba goes from carpet to the linolium with no problems.

The unit I got has 2 "virtual" walls. They are gadgets which tell the robot not to go past an imaginary line they are pointing at. We put one by the entertainment unit that it gets stuck under and one by the stepdown to the patio room. We keep closed any doors to the rooms we don't want it to go (front bathroom where we cannot seem to get the kids to pick up the towels etc...).

I was in "Big Lots!" today and they had them there. Usually they carry refurbished units.

Archived