How did YOU get started?

As a wannabe on this forum who is continuously picking her jaw up off the floor at the amazing talent and creativity shown here, I am curious as to how you all began your long arm adventure. I have the original Hinterberg frame, but no machine. Can probably only afford a 9 inch one like a Juki, so keep putting off a purchase because so many people say get as big a machine as you can. It's dawning on me that small is the way I will have to start, and if I continue waiting for a "big one" I won't ever get started. :)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has wondered about this. So, if you don't mind, please tell us how you got started. I know from reading the past few months that several of you jumped in head first with your APQS long arm and never looked back. I have to also think that others probably started with a table top frame and a Juki or Brother.

So ladies, please do tell! Laura

I'm one of those that started with a Gracie frame and a Brother since I wasn't ready to invest in an expensive machine till I was sure I really wanted to do longarm quilting. After a year or so I realized I did indeed want a bigger and better machine. I moved up to a Lenni and after a year and a half I went all the way trading up to a Millie. I have no regrets about my path to a Millie. I am loving her.:)

The machine I had before I got my Millennium in 2007 was a Nolting Hobby Quilter on a SuperQuilter table frame. I quilted on it for about 5 years. I quilted for customers too!

I wanted a stitch regulator so I could do fancier stuff ;).

I have to agree with everyone who has told you to get the biggest you can afford (or finance!). You will not be sorry.....

I started with the original Handi-quilter. I did two quilts, and hated /loved the process. I waited a year, just thinking, then I bought the Millennium. Happy! Happy with both the process and the machine!

Sorry, no webshots, but my quilting improved drasticaly with improved equipment.

I, too, started with a first generation Handi-Quilter. I loved the process but hated the machine. All it did was convince me that the big one was the one I wanted. It took me about 5 years to get it. I took advantage of a 1.9% credit card offer and went for it and have never regretted it. I considered it my "new car" when I retired.

I started quilting with a Janome 6600P, so it was a sit down domestic machine. Plenty of tables to hold the weight and no larger than a queen size quilt. I was hooked on machine quilting so then knew I had to go larger. Started to look at all the longarms and then frame systems but put it off until I could go all out with the one I wanted.

I love my Millenium. In the states you would be able to pick up a second hand one a lot easier than we could in Australia so check them out.

I am sure you would be sorry with a short or mid arm system once you have been bitten by the quilting bug!

Lyn

I started with a Juki on a Grace frame in October 2008. Right away I knew I needed/wanted more space.

I sold my Juki setup on ebay in January, and ordered my Millie. There were 3 big factors that led me to APQS. The first, it is made in the USA; and in this economy I think that is important. Second, the more I looked at the best teachers, the more I saw them using APQS; Dawn Cavanaugh, Myrna Fricken, Karen McTavish, Kimmy Brunner, Marilyn Badger, DeLoa Jones; and many others I probably forgot. Lastly, their reputation for customer service.

I'm not trying to take away from any other brands, because I know lots of great teachers use other brands; ie Pam Clarke, Jamie Wallen, Linda McCuen, Diana Phillips etc. Not to mention plenty of astonishing quilters on our very own forum, who could probably teach; like Linda Card (Ramona quilter?) for just one.

All this long message to say; I had a Voyager/Hinterberg frame. I hated it. Too heavy for me; machine head is almost 80#. I had the Juki/Grace frame; too small a quilting space. After you roll it up a bit we're talking about 4" to quilt in. I knew I would not be happy until I got the "big baby", and now I am in heaven learning and loving it!!

That's a good name for my Millie, "Big Baby"!!!:P:P That's what I call my big dog sometimes! lol

Sorry this is soooo long!!:o:o Man, I can talk!

Linnea

I jumped right in and bought a Millenium. Not to say I didn't look at other more affordable options, but after trying them, I knew that they did not have enough throat space. I also didn't like the plastic rollers, and wondered how they would stand up over the long haul. Initially when I got the millenium I thought "whoa this is a lot of machine here", and was somewhat intimidated by it, but I am so grateful I went this route. If I could give one piece of advice to anyone it would be 'buy the very best you can afford". And you know what, our husbands don't scrimp on their toys!

Laura,

My thirst for machine quilting started because of a lack of time to hand quilt and my tops started piling up. I didn't want to have somebody else finish them for me. I started with a domestic machine and hated that process completely! I got a special horn cabinet made for machine quilting and I felt like I was wrestling a bobcat everytime I quilted and boy did I hate all those pins. That got me looking at other options. I wasn't willing to jump right into a big expensive system since I didn't know if I would ever like machine quilting. I found a stretch rotary machine with table for less than $2000 which at the time I thought was a lot of money! LOL not so now. I was hooked! I loved that you didn't have to pin baste and I quilted lots of beautiful quilts on that machine. It had nothing fancy at all. No SR and it was a very old machine that had simply been cut and stretched. I did a lot of tweaking to get it to stitch for me in the style of quilting that I do. It wasn't even a year when I longed for more throat space (I had 10" of quilting space) and a SR. I went to MQX and you could say the rest is history. I tried every machine they had at the show. I settled on a Milli and I can't say I have ever regretted my decision. You don't have to wait for the top of the line but be careful they are addictive :D:D:D:D! Good luck with your decision.

I started out looking at smaller machines and frames. I was really looking at the Handi-Quilter and frame, but my husband didn't like the Handi-Quilter frame, not for a home business as he thought it was too flimsy, and I wasn't all too impressed with the stitch quality on the Handi-Quilter machine. Maybe they didn't have the tension set right? Also, I thought why invest in a smaller set up that I would probably have to sell for half the value of it to upgrade. Anyway, (with my husband's help) before I knew it I had the Gammill Optimum and a 14' frame! Haven't regretted going big from the start. I love my machine and love, love, love quilting on it!

I bartered with a lady for her longarm quilting until she kept telling me I wasn't a REAL quilter. (I was getting over $3500 for my hand quilted quilts) by the time I left her, I was shaking I was so mad. I came home and told hubs that I was buying a machine. I picked up the first magazine I could find and called the first longarm ad I saw and told them to send me a machine. It was APQS and they sent me a 6 month old Nolting. That will be 12 years ago this June. The rest, as they say, is history. I just upgraded to the Nolting Pro24 in January.

My first machine was a Gammill. It lasted 9 months till I took my first lesson with Sherry Rogers-Harrison. That's when I first put my hands on a Mille.

You should find someone who rents their machine and have some fun.

Starting small isn't the answer, it's frustrating and you don't get the results you really want.

It may save you some money but in the end you won't be happy.

Throat space and a stitch regulator are first on the priority list in buying a machine.

You can finance a machine and one or two quilts a month will make your payment.

I had my first machine paid off in a year just doing pantographs. You can take advantage of the economy by buying a used machine at a really good price now. The used machines we have for sale are the best prices I have ever seen.

I dreamed of owning a Millennium long arm for several years but expenses were not making it possible. I then bought the grace frame and a Juki machine. I never put it together. It was always going to be next weekend. Two years ago I retired and shortly after that my father passed away leaving me a small trust fund. It was at that point I decided to bite the bullet and buy what I really wanted. I am very happy with my "JJ." The JJ is from my parents names, Jack and Joan. I think that they would think that I made a good decision to get her.

Pamela

Additional note: I did not attempt to put JJ together. I was afraid she would sit in boxes for too long. I paid to have APQS send a technician to do it for me. That way I knew it would be put together correctly and in a reasonable timeframe.

I started quilting on a Janome 4800 and then upgraded to a Janome 6500. Both table machines. In Sept '07 DH and I were taking a trip to Oregon and scheduled it around the Portland quilt expo. I had been in contact with a Nolting dealer that would be there. The friends we were visiting went with us and on the way we were talking of this longarm and they asked how much. their jaws dropped when we started talking price. Yes, it's a price of a car and it doesn't leave the room. Well, after we all talked with this dealer and tried the machine, their attitude changed 100% by the time we left. (I had made quilts for their children when they were married) After we left it was "You have to get one of those". LOL Two months later I ordered my machine and had it in home 2 months after that. I've not regretted making my purchase. DH and I talked it over and decided why start small. I knew I wanted to quilt for others, I knew I loved to quilt (I had made numerous quilts on my domestic machines) , so we took the plunge. (we were able to get decent financing at that time) DH and I have had a mom and pop appliance repair business for 26 years, so having my own quilting business wasn't a big leap to take. And with each quilt I do for a customer, my confidence gets stronger. I guess a lot depends on if you are wanting to just quilt for yourself or if you want to start quilting for others. If you want to quilt just for you, check with the different manufacterers and see what they have to offer for midarm machines. You might be happier with a bit more room.

Hi Laura

At present I am quilting on a Pfaff Grand Quilter and Next Generation frame. I am hoping in the next several months to be able to purchase the APQS Lenni. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the Millenium, but it does have all the important things, like SR, single stitch, and needle up down. Of course it does not have the throat space of the Millenium ,but compared to the 9" I have now, the Lenni will feel very spacious to me.

Right now I have a approx 90" x 106" quilt on my frame. I have had to turn the quilt to finish it off, as I ran out of space. Also I am finding the rollers groaning abit under the weight of the quilt. One other thing I find with my system is I do not dare try any large designs, as at the beginning of the quilt you will have about 7"/8" of quilting room , and by the time you get near the end you may only have about 3" depending on the batting. One other thing I will not miss about my system is having to lift the rollers as the quilts roll gets larger.

My advice is if there is any way you can go for a long arm do it.

One last thing, not wanting to knock people with shortarm systems. I have seen some wonderful work done with them.

Ooohhhh..I wasn't able to log in today until just now, and seeing all these replies was like getting a big present. Thank you so much for sharing all of your stories. I know there are many others out there like me who will be avidly reading this as well. You were supposed to make me feel better about starting small, haha, but truthfully, I know that I want more. A used long arm machine will probably be the way to go. I think I've known this all along and think that's why I have never put up my frame.

My mother taught me how to sew. She was a watercolor artist and I grew up hearing about color, design, and what makes a good watercolor! :D I think my love of fabric and color probably came from her. I wish I was as talented as she was, but I am so thankful to have a hobby I am passionate about. Part of the process for me is making the quilt from start to finish, and I am starting to accumulate tops that I feel the need to finish myself. I have a nice big Koala quilter's table, but just don't like the sit down machine quilting process. I read several yahoo groups, but it wasn't until I started reading THIS forum that I have started to appreciate the quilting as such a strong design element. I really get inspired when I see your quilts and think I want to do that, too!

I will be moving in June to a new apartment or a small condo. I will probably share my bedroom with a longarm if I'm lucky. ;) If I don't purchase a condo this summer, I will in a year when the youngest graduates from high school. So, if I can pull this off, I don't need to worry about moving the thing in a year, do I? Here I go--I don't even have a longarm yet and I'm already concerned about moving it.

Once again, thanks for the comments. It is so nice to have a forum where one can ask a variety of questions. Laura

Laura, when you get the "bug" you usually get it bad. Thinking and checking info a year out is a good thing. May we ask where you live? I recommend you attend a quilt show or two and check out what is available. The shows usually have longarms, medium arms, and what we call domestic machines (regular sewing machines). Test all the machines until you find the one that you love, love. love and can afford. If you like APQS visit the "used machine" section of this site often, they have some great deals. Ask as many questions as you want on here, we're here to listen and help. Welcome to our addiction.

Where do I live?

As far as quilting goes, it doesn't get a whole lot better than this...HOUSTON! (Paducah sounds nice, too)

The 2 best reasons to live in Houston are:

1) you don't have to shovel snow (I'm originally from Iowa)

2) the International Quilt Festival

I usually check out the long arms each year, but this year I will be more focused. :)

I ditto Laura! I live in Alvin, just about 2 feet south of Houston. Bonnie is wondering where her summer went and we just wrapped up 2 months worth of Bluebonnets! I wonder if that's a record? Maybe the rainfall was just right this year, although the flooding we've gone through the last week or so is slomething I could do without!

What area do you live in Laura? We also have Starla, a newbie, who also lives in Alvin. Me? I'm still a Wannabe but I've made up my mind on the Millie and saving my pennies!

I should be embarrassed to say that I went straight from struggling with the process of quilting on a DM to buying a Mille the first time I drove one...but I'm not. Actually that process took quite a few years of making tops that deserved better quilting than I could accomplish on the DM. Can we say spoiled and impulsive? But, what else do I work for but to enjoy the finer things in life? LOL! My Himself (in honor of RitaR and her DH) indulges in books, music and fine wine, and I indulge in fabric and tools...we share a passion for dogs...life is good.

Anita

I too started with a Juki and a B-line quilting frame, I used this set up for about 4 years, didnt do a tremdous amount of quilts but enough to know that I was too limited as to what I could do with this space restriction. I mostly just did a simple meandering. Once I finally decided that I need a bigger machine and spent some time on this forum I knew what machine I was going to get the most for my money and that was my Lenni. Because I only do quilting for myself and don't have that much time to quilt, I wanted the best machine for the amount that I could spend. the Lenni was so close in cost to some of the mid arm machines, like the hq 16 and the tin lizzie, but more of a professional machine and therefore I felt more machine for the price.

I started with a Pfaff 2030 (same one I sew patchwork on), and really loved the quilting after many hours of practice. I hated trying to follow patterns when I quilted, so I made up patterns as I stitched. Then a friend got an HQ16, which she taught me to use and I quilted a few on it to get the feel of the long arm. I was amazed that I would be able to quilt so fast a large quilt, and at first just did loop-de-loop, then moved into leaves and roses, and so on, all from thinking the shapes and making the LA stitch it. I grew to really dislike the HQ16, and started focusing on just using the Pfaff, which was doing just fine and the latest one was a King Sized quilt with lots of custom quilting (and I just bought 2 folding tables to hold the quilt off the floor). I had just finished all my UFOs and felt sad that I ran out of items to quilt! So I began to make new tops/backs, and think about LAs, then try them, and narrowed the search down to Gammill and APQS. After really looking them both over, I settled on the Millenium and can say that tomorrow it will ship to me. Then if things go well, I can report back how I like having my own Milli!!:D

I started with an Elna DSM and then to a Brother and then to a Janome - all domestics in a table. My quilting was super but it took forever and I would be tired out after 30 minutes struggling with the weight of it all. I got my Lenni after a lot of research and also this forum and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't just a matter of money but also a matter of space. Lenni was perfect. In fact we stitched out a quilt today. We get along great and I am glad to have her. I do just enough quilting for folks each month to pay for her and my fabric habit!!

Archived