How did YOU get started?

I was bitten by the quilting bug a little over two years ago. Before that, I never sewed much of anything although I did own a basic sewing machine. When I decided I wanted to learn to quilt, I bought a Husqvarna Viking DM and was thrilled with it. Until I discovered what "throat space" is. I quickly learned that I wanted a LA but when I saw the prices, I decided that my Husqvarna was just fine. Well, that lasted through several quilts but I quickly tired of basically meandering everything, finding floor space large enough to lay out and pin the quilt sandwich, and hastling with moving the bulky fabric. So...I started researching LA machines online. Eventually, I narrowed my choices to APQS and Gammill. Then I went to a local quilt show to test drive machines. I took a beginner LA machine class on a Gammill with Linda McCuen. Had a blast, knew I had to have a LA. I have to admit it took some doing to swallow the cost of these machines, but I can't really imagine progressing and improving without one. So...after driving several machines, some of which I could tell right away were not "the one" and others which stayed "in the running" much longer, I finally settled on a Gammill Classic Plus! We are now in the process of getting it's new home ready for delivery on June 16th! It has been a fun process deciding which machine is the best one for me, with a roller coaster of emotions. I've met some wonderful people and found this forum where everyone is so supportive and helpful. I can't wait to get my machine!

Archived