Ridges on the back of the quilt.

Guest Linda S

Improper tension is often the reason for this. I find that it's really difficult to get a smooth back when you're just applying two clamps to each side of the quilt. I have taken apart a Q-Snap frame, run some cording through the tube, and use these on the sides of my quilt to give me more even tension. I will try to remember to take a picture of this today and post it so you can see more clearly what I mean. My clamps now clamp onto the cording that runs through the tube, and I get a nice smooth back on my quilts.

Linda

It also helps if you work from the center out and from the top to the bottom. Sometimes it still ends up that you're doing edges before you do the center. Don't do your border work, then go back and do your center work.

Also, I've found that if I do the SID last, that makes less of a "ridge". I will usually do any motif work, then the stipple or background fill, then any border work, then the least thing I do is SID.

There was a time when I did all the SID first to stabilize but I've found that I get a better result by doing the SID last.

I also do all the work in each section before rolling the quilt. It sometimes means changing thread colors more often but I've found that doing it this way creates less chance of puckers and ridges.

Guest Linda S

Here are the pics I promised. I made these from a simple Q-Snap frame and a piece of cording.

Clamps.jpg

Flipped over one piece so you can see how it works

Clamps2.jpg

With clamps attached

Clamps3.jpg

I usually just clamp the backing, but this customer quilt has real issues

Clamps4.jpg

This is the best way I have found to keep the back of my quilt smooth and wrinkle free.

Linda

Guest Linda S

LOL - yes, indeed it is Judy! I'll get you someday! ;) Actually, it's coming out a whole lot better than it deserves to. I should have it off the frame tonight.

I seem to have a lot better luck keeping things smooth with this set up. I think Linda Mae Diny sells things like this at her shop, but it was so cheap to make my own. Plus, it just snaps on and off, so it's really fast and easy to use. I never pin anything if I can help it.

Linda

I purchased the ones that Linda Mae Diny sells and I love them! I always felt that two clamps weren't enough so when I saw them at Innovations a couple of years ago, I snapped them right up. Linda Mae's have a round elastic running thru them similar to the elastic in a bungy cord. This allows for a little give. Just my opinion.

Pam:)

I'm not sure if this is Atticquilter's problem, but when I first started out (no one had shown me otherwise) I clamped to the backing while doing the basting along the side edges as I went along, and then found when I went back to do the borders, I had extra "puff' between the SID borders and the outside edge. THen a friend told me to NOT clamp when doing the side edge basting, but put the clamps on after the basting was done when ready to SID. THis helped to keep everything tight and no ridges.

Sara

Guest Linda S

It's Waterworld by Jodi Beamish (www.jodibeamish.com). Very fun to do and works on so many different quilts. There is a PatternGrid on top of that. I use that to line up my pantos and my Circle Lord. Makes everything so fast and much more precise.

Linda

Wow, Linda! I like your idea! I've been using Sharon Schambers idea, but it takes a lot of time to pin the sides to the side leader that she uses. This would certainly be a lot faster. I'm sure I have some Qsnaps in my cross stitch stuff. I'll have to dig them out and give your idea a try. Thanks a lot!

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

I am using Qsnaps that have a corner on one side. If I didn't like that I would probably cut them down. I just thread the elastic thru anyway and it is good to go. A little modification I learned from one of the members of Longarm Chat (Christine Olson) to put a small hole in the end of the top clamp to help in pulling it off. Works great! She put a cable tie in the end but I just put a loop of elastic.

Here is a link to her Webshots the has a picture: http://community.webshots.com/photo/61932629/67669698EYdhzv

As to the ridges on the back.. I didn't see anyone refering to the panto itself. What pattern did you use? What spacing did you use between rows?

Some people teach to leave a space between rows and calculate it out so that the top and bottom rows stay inside the quilt. I prefer the method of nesting the pattern so that the "Negative Space" between rows has the same spacing as the rest of the pattern. This way it is hard to tell where one row ends and the next one starts. If the negative space is larger than the rest of the panto your eye is drawn to the space. You may need to quilt a little off the top or bottom of the quilt using this method but I think the result is more pleasing to the eye.

If I have a panto I can't nest I wont use it.

Archived