3 color crazy

My calif king quilt with panels to the floor would not fit in my G Ma's long arm machine. I quilted the center and left the pannels. I need to figure out how to finish the border pannels. Should I quilt them seprately and add them after or should I just add material to the back of the borders and let them hang. I am at a stand still please help if you have ideas.

post--13461901746095_thumb.jpg

What is the table size and what is the quilt top size? The top hangs pretty close to the floor - so my next question or two is - Is this the California King bed you mentioned above? If it is do you have to have it hang so low? Could you cut the borders down a little bit? Especially on the foot board end where you won't see it anyway might be able to lose a few inches. Which poses another question - does the top of the quilt go only to the edge of the bed or also drape over? If it ends at the top, you could load the top sideways.

You could do it like a quilt as you go quilt. I think that there is some information on this Georgia Bonsteel's website, but I am not suggesting that you hand quilt it. :)

You basically quilt it in sections on the machine. You might even be able to load is sideways and have the 2 red side borders already attached. And then do the the border at the foot of the quilt separately. You have to make sure that you do not quilt the seam allowance that you need to join together. Once they are both quilted, you cut the batting so it is a 1/4 inch smaller then the quilt top and and backing. Then put the 2 pieces right sides together and machine sew the seam on the top. Hand seam the binding together and then you hand applique the backing. It is a lot of hand work, but it is a possibility.

If it was my quilt, I would detach the red "borders" and quilt them separately. You could baste them together as one piece and load them easily like one quilt. Like Angela said, don't quilt the seam allowances so you can assemble it all again after quilting. I'm assuming the red borders are just on three sides? If you wanted something continuous, use washable marker and number the panels, sketch your design, and line things up to match before you load it. Or just do something different on each one, E2E, or geometric lines.

You could also quilt the whole thing (the red panels) and recut as if it was pre-quilted fabric--i.e. brocade.

Welcome to the forum, and please post your finished project pictures. We do love pictures.:)

Archived