Loops on back in curves

Hi! I searched but couldn't find any answers so...

When I'm meandering, I get loops from the top thread on the back...like the bobbin thread isn't in sync with the top thread; pulling it in towards the curve.

I get it both with/without SR. Am I going too fast in the curve; ahead of myself?

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie,

Dory and Heidi are on the money. When you notice those tension changes on the curves, the needle's pulling away from the hook and/or just ahead of the hook. Then the top thread doesn't have enough time to pull the bobbin thread up before it's time for another stitch.

Definitely try what they suggested, including tightening the top thread and/ or loosening the bobbin tension.

Also, slowing down will help, since rapid movement increases the needle flex.

Be sure the fabric isn't too taut, which can add to the flex problem also.

Try a larger needle to reduce flex.

Choose a stitch length between 10-12 stitches per inch, so the needle has to enter and exit the fabric more quickly.

Happy quilting!

We've all been right where you are. I still have times when this happens. I have learned to stay calm and try the things Dory and Heidi told you and also, check your bobbin case and see if there is a little piece of lint there. Lots of times I find this to be the culpret. that and I get goin to fast. Hang in there.

Archived