What have you learned....?

I started my long arm quilting & embroidery business over 6 months ago and I was wondering what tips, tricks, pointers etc... that others have used , or tried that have been helpful and beneficial to their business. Also if you have a website can you please post the link to it so we can see how others have set up their websites? May be inspirational for others starting out.

Here is my website link http://www.geckoquilts.com

some of the things that I have learned for my area are

1)Brochures & business cards a must

2)having a website has been very helpful

3)taking my quilts to "show & tell" at local quilt shops bring in new customers

4)customers like lots of choices (and like it if you special order a pattern or thread)

5)customers like to feel like they are getting a bargin

6)customers like their quilts back sooner than later

7)customers like to come and see where their quilts will be worked on

What have you learned from your customers and or about running your quilting business?

Joann

some of the things that I have learned for my area are

1)Brochures & business cards a must

2)having a website has been very helpful

3)taking my quilts to "show & tell" at local quilt shops bring in new customers

4)customers like lots of choices (and like it if you special order a pattern or thread)

5)customers like to feel like they are getting a bargin

6)customers like their quilts back sooner than later

7)customers like to come and see where their quilts will be worked on

It's funny how things are different for each of us.

1. I did a brochure when I first started 8 years ago and found that the only ones picking them up were other longarmers so I stopped doing them. As for business cards, I ordered 1,000 when I first started and still have probably half of those! Bad Judy!!

2. I do have a website and I think it is helpful.

3. I agree that's a great form of advertisement.

4. It's rare that a customer even suggests what she wants -- designs or threads. And, what I have here is pretty much what they're going to get unless it's just something I wanted to get anyway.

5. I don't think any of my customers ever feel like they're getting a bargain but they know they're getting a darned good quilting job . . and they're paying dearly for it.

6. Definitely! And, I like for them to get them back sooner. Missing a promised date causes me to lose sleep.

7. No one ever sees where I work. I have insurance on the customer quilts through Milne & Scali but my homeowners coverage specifically excludes business so if someone is here and it's related to business and they get hurt, I have no insurance coverage. Except for other longarmers, no one has ever asked to see where I work.

I know my work habits wouldn't get me very far in some areas but it works here and I'm happy with the setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Daddy taught me to always give the customer more than she expects. If she expects it done in three weeks, deliver it in two. Tell her it was less work than you expected and therefore it will cost her $10.00 less than the quoted price, etc., etc.

Archived