Sour Cream Corn Bread

What can I say. I like to bake and this is a great recipe for corn bread. It is always moist. This is from Burpee's American Harvest cookbooks. "The Early Summer Garden" by Perla Meyers

Sour Cream Corn Bread

1 1/4 C coarse yellow cornmeal

3/4 C all purpose flour

3 Tbsp granulated sugar

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3 large eggs

1/2 C sour cream (I have successfully used fat-free or yogurt)

3/4 C whole milk (I always use fat-free)

6 Tbsp butter

1 C fresh corn kernels (frozen works too), lightly minced (I leave mine whole...I am lazy)

Preheat oven to 400.

Sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and set aside.

In another large mixing bowl combine the eggs, sour cream, and milk. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Generously butter a heavy 9 inch square cake pan. Place in the center of the oven.

Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan. Add the corn kernels and cook over medium low heat until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Whisk the corn and butter into the egg/milk mixture. Add the sifted dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Do not over mix or corn bread will be dry.

Remove the cake pan from the oven. Pour the batter into the hot pan and return to the center of the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. A cake tester when inserted should come out clean.

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Cut into squares and serve warm.

Serve 8 to 10

Enjoy! I love mine with butter and honey:D

Cheryl

Archived