taking the plunge-

Tangled Threads

I decided to get a Compuquilter...after 9 years of a lot of standing and quilting I now have a bad case of Arthritis in my stop and go thumb. so, I decided to just get the E2E for now and save $$$ to get the rest of the software latter..so, i will be reading and rereading to post here..:D I am really excited to be doing this, but, it is a scary thing to do with the economy the way is is...and another reason I went with the E2E is I really love doing the free hand..and it took me a long time to get my feathers looking really good..:)

Congratulations! I know you won't be sorry, but I also suspect it won't be long before you want the full version! There are just SO many more possibilities, and you can always add your own freehand if you want to. That's what most of us do. I was just at the HMQS show in Salt Lake City and saw many quilts that combined both freehand & computerized designs with template work. You are only limited by your imagination!

I've designed many patterns with CQ rules in mind, so you know you won't have any "issues" with them.

www.TrilliumHouseDesigns.com

A computerized system is great for doing E2E, but also wonderful for motifs! It definitely will take the wear and tear off the body and that is why I got a CQ a few years ago.

Pattern choices...oh my...:P:P:D:D

Designs by Deb is having a sale but you need the sale code.

Hi Tangled Threads,

I too have the CQ (full version) and I use it for E2E and block motifs, sashings, etc. Majority of the time I combine CQ with freehand and ruler work. You will absolutely love it!! I can't imagine quilting without it now. If you can afford the extra $$ for the full version I'd say go for it now and learn how to use the CQ system all at once, you will love it once you start with it!! Congratulations!!

I have had thumb arthroplasties done in both thumbs for arthritis prior to starting longarming. 5 weeks in a thumb spica cast and about 3 months of rehab later, I am so glad I did it. No more painful pinching, although sometimes pinning on a quilt makes my hands ache. I was only early 50's when I had them done.

I would suggest going to an OT, they can make you a hand splint that will not inhibit you from quilting but will help support the joints so it isn't painful to work with your hands.

Good luck

Holly- I did have a hand splint made...and my Doggy chewed it :( I had it laying on the table next to my recliner, and the little devil got it...and then I found out that my insurance is not paying for it. soooo- DH and I are fighting with the company on that one. but I do threapy here at home which really helps.. so should the Compuquilter..:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at getting a Millenium and am also thinking about getting the Quilt Studio program. I am a graphic designer and pretty computer and design saavy. This is a new endeavor for me - I know that it's expensive, but don't know if I should take the plunge all at once or not. I have been quilting for about 4 years and have decided to go into a small business - I have several persons who want me to do their quilts for them. No full time - maybe 10 or 15 hours per week. I also like the intelliquilter that you can get on the Millenium. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

I've had my CQ for two years now. I bought it at the NQA show in Columbus, OH. I was hyperventilating after I bought it. When I called my husband to say I got it ordered, he said "it's about time". I haven't looked back. It's really amazing and puts me in a whole new ballpark here. Like the song says,,, it just keeps gettin better! I love it and so will you. As far as the E2E or full version. Of course the whole thing is best, but if that is all you can afford right now, go for that at least. My business is 90 percent pantos, and if that is your case also, it will be used just as much as the full version of it.

You'll just love computerized quilting, when I started LA quilting 10 years ago, I dreamed of the day to have such detail in quiting!

I just can't even begin to tell you what a God sent & life saver compertized quilting is!

My system has paid for it's self in no time, and after that, it's all gravy baby! ;)

If any of you have questions, feel free to ask away!

• 2 weeks later...

Love my Compuquilter, it makes life so much easier. I can only get about 12" on each pass though. Trying to get a bigger stitching space. Any Ideas??? I have the newer 12ft table with the 36" carriage. I know some people can get about 16" but I think they have the older style table or the bigger carriage.

Barb

Hey Kids,

zeke here. I'm a compuholic. Just can't seem to keep away from it. Even after chainsawing all day, I still go to see what I have to do with the machines. The other day I quilted for a while and than went out the do some wood splitting. After the wood spliting I came back to finish off the quilt I started in the morning.

Barb, Give me a call when you get a chance an dwe'll see what we can come up with about your carriage. You should be able to get more than just 12" out of that bugger.

Archived