Catagory

Grammie

Hi Grammie

It would be in the pantograph category - your lowest charge.

Prices would vary depending on the size of the clamshells. You could set the size of the clamshell (ie. 4") on the set up page and the width of the top and see how many minutes it says it will take to quilt a row and then multiply that by the number of rows in the whole quilt. Remember though that it might take a minute - or so to cut the threads on the end of the first row and have the machine move back to the start of that row so you'd have to add that time into the cost.

I'm in Australia so I can't give you a price by the sq. foot as your currency is different.

Hope that gives you somewhere to start.

Sue in Australia

Thanks Sue,

I quoted my minimum and then wondered if I had undercharged. It will take some time but I'm glad that I got it right.

I am redoing my Service sheet and trying to give some pricing examples for the customers.

Thanks again

Keep in mind that you are providing a service that a regular machine operator can't. It's called "perfection". That should be worth an extra charge. What is the point of having the CQ, if you're charging the same amount that you would without it?

I always go back to the example of when we hired a fellow to move some big boulders into our back yard. He billed us for HIS time AND his truck's time. We have a huge investment in these machines and for some reason we think we're the only ones that need to be paid. :( You can earn minimum wage at McDonalds and not have a bank loan, or interest payments or costs for inventory and supplies. AND there's no Christmas rush! ;)

I kinda agree. I feel that I might have under estimated this quilt. It is 128 x128 plus double PUFF Batting. I feel it going to take me some time to do even with CQ. It is decorator fabric and I will need to do it a tad slower. I am also doing two large pieces for the cornices. I charged only .015 and wish I had charged about .022 to .25.

Either way I plan to keep my word on the estimate but learn from this. I don't want to be swamped with large quilts that I do at a minimum charge. I don't know of another quilter who provides this service in our area. I don't want to take advantage of that but I will probly make per hour less on this quilt than I do average size quilts that I can pin, quilt and complete in 5 to 6 hours or less.

I just want to be paid a fair price for quality service and gain a quality customer to work with in the future.

Archived