Help with quilting progression

I have a Victory Quilt (Eleanor Burns) loaded and ready to go. She is picking it up from me on 5/19.

I started it last night when I got home; something I usually don't do since I work 10 hour days and am pooped at the end of the day. However, I needed to get busy so I did...bad move: ended up frogging everything I'd done!:mad:

The quilt is not square vertically and the piecing looks like my client's imaginary two-year old daughter did it. Seams are sewn incorrectly and are not pressed to one side and they are crooked. I started off last night thinking that if I could SID, it would stabilize it and make it better. WRONG! I ended up with a tuck in the backing and extra fullness on the top. So, no SID.

My question is how is the best way to quilt a quilt like this? It has 12" blocks (sampler style), with 2" sashing, then three separate borders. The first is 3" wide, the second has rectangles in it of red & blue and the third, very friendly border, is about 6" wide and white. Do I do the blocks and the first border; then go back and deal with the friendly borders? Do I do all the visible area at once and just hope for the best when I get to the bottom?

This is, quite possibly, the most poorly pieced quilt I've done in my short career and I know you all have faced much worse...like Shannon's quilt. However, since I don't have Shannon's talent, I need your help!!

This is a link to a Victory Quilt...http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2904813740054119077AKzWdm

I wuld think an edge to edge or large meander would allow you to accommodate the variety of sizes. Does she want custom? I would do the 12x12 blocks first and go back to do the borders. Otherwise you could get an hour glass shaped quilt with wide at the top and bottom, narrower in the middle.

I often wonder "what if". What if we called the customer and honestly said this quilt has serious issues and sent it back. I am a nurse and often wonder why people call for problems not related to our specialty/outside our scope of practice and try to make their problems our problems.

Come on now Dory...why can't you just do the quilting like the picture you sent us?! Seriously, I feel your pain. I would do a tight allover meander in each of the 12" blocks to nail them down. Then simple ribbon or so in the sashing. In the last outer 6" border why not piano key the outside part of it and meander in the inner part? I am sending you a u2u.

Actually, I did do that quilt...NOT:P

I've already told her that there might be tucks...her response, "Oh well, nothing I do is perfect." Great lot of good that does me!

I was thinking piano key the border as well, but I was going to do the blocks first and go back up for the borders. But Holly W is scaring me....the borders getting more friendly is a worry!

And, yes, she wants custom...otherwise, I'd just meander the whole thing!

Hi Dory,

When I get a quilt like that, I turn it over and point out to the customer why I can't/won't do custom work on it. You can't properly SID on seams that are twisted. On a quilt like you describe, the only service I would offer would be an allover E2E.

I'M the professional, and *I* get to say what miracles I'm willing to perform on a quilt for not enough pay! :P

Get tough girl! I know you can do it! LOL;)

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Hi Dory,

I'M the professional, and *I* get to say what miracles I'm willing to perform on a quilt for not enough pay! :P

Darlene!!:P:P:P This is so true!! Love it!!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Hi Dory,

Darlene!!:P:P:P This is so true!! Love it!!

I TOO raise my glass of orange juice to you Darlene....I love that...and I think i will use that the next time the impossible arrives at my house....

Oh, Darlene....you are always able to slap me into reality (figuratively, anyway:P)

I talked with Kristina (cute girl of the string quilt fame:D) for a long time last night about this quilt and really did some thinking about it. I kept telling myself, sure, I can do custom...but you're right. Custom will do nothing but make me crazy, turn out badly and give me a headache that even a margarita won't help:(

She's still on vacation, but hopefully, I can reach her via e-mail. I wish she were back home so I could actually show the error of her ways (piecing, that is).

Thanks for the wakeup call...

Hi Dory,

So glad you're out of that mess! Too often we allow ourselves to get pushed in directions we know deep down inside that we shouldn't go. As Oprah says, "Listen to you're gut!"

As I sit here in beautiful Canmore, Alberta (near Banff), I'm looking out the window at the incredible Rocky Mountains. Will be adding those pictures to my travel log on Sunday, after we get home. It's been a glorious 5 weeks! We've covered 9 states and 2 provinces. You can see the first 4 weeks here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/trilliumhousebc

Archived