EXPERT ADVISE NEEDED

I am about to do a custom Quilt. It is 96 x 96 and has 12 11.5" blocks which will be feathered with the CL. The log cabin blocks inbetween will be freehand feathers as will the border.

The batting we are using is arctic bamboo, so it is nice and flat.

My question is, will it be sufficient to baste the whole Quilt every 4-6 inches since I want to work the blocks first with one color then go back and do the log cabin fillers with another color and lastly do the border with yet another color.

What do you all think to do?

Thanks for your input.\\

p.s. this is a bed quilt, not a show quilt.

I am not an expert and I don't play one on TV, but....

The basting, either with thread or horizontal pins (every 6 - 8 inches) from the left border to the right border (in other words, all the way across the quilt) will do a great job of holding your quilt in place as you do the block work in your quilt.

Will you be doing SID around the blocks. That is a good stabilizer, too. If you SID each block, the basting will be unnecessary.

I wasn't thinking of STD on this one as the batting is relatively flat and quilting will be everywhere. I will even complete the feather wreaths on the outside corners with twirly whirlys.

I think I'll take your advise and use flowerhead pins, the Quilt is sitting on the fram very nice and square, and the batting holds the top and botton layer, so as long as I keep smoothing it out as I go it will be fine. if not.....heavens forbid, there is always frogging!

• 3 weeks later...

This is my personal experience which may not qualify as expert, but doing the blocks first is my way of stabilizing a quilt. I baste the top and sides as I go down, SID the Blocks OR do a pattern in them, then go back and do the sashing/inner border, then lastly the outside borders. On one quilt recently, I did the borders and a few blocks here and there all the way down, went back up and filled in.

Sounds like you have a plan already, and you're just looking for support.;) I say Go For It!

I don't like to just "baste" a quilt--it leaves holes when you take it out.:o

Archived