Memory Quilts.....Help

I am looking for ideas on how to quilt pictures in a memory quilt. I have a quilt with a few pictures that are too big to leave unquilted. The smaller ones I have SID around both borders and the pictures are small enough to be okay unquilted. The larger ones need some kind of quilting to secure them and prevent bulging out.

The pictures have a stiff stabalizer on the back.

Help!!!

I have quilted over pictures before and it was fine. I used a thin thread like Bottom Line so it wouldn't obstruct the photo. On the one I did I put a heart in each block. I'll see if I can find a picture.

You say they have a stiff stabilizer on the back, did someone forget to remove the paper backing from the photo paper?

Thank You Holly. Pictures would be great.

As for the stabilizer I think they did leave the paper on the back. It is very stiff. I haven't had a lot of these quilts but the ones I have done previously were a lot softer than this and had no 8 x 10 pictures on them. I will pay more attention to the backing in the future.

Hi Calaquilts.

I just finished a quilt with the same interfacing problem. It had t-shirts and photos.

The customer "warned" me about the heavy duty interfacing she used. It was like going through cement...stiff as a board...no exageration. Half way through I began to wonder if the paper was left in also. There was something that seemed to be drying out my machine (I posted a question to this chat just the other day). Although it seemed my oiler was starting to running low and sending out as much air as oil, I still believe the interfacing was sending out a fine powder, which was dring out my machine.

I used a pattern that was open and airy with no crossing lines. Be careful, as you go over the interfaced areas, it will take a lot of effort...then you go racing over the non-interfaced parts. And if you hear any funny noises in the bobbin area...add oil!!

Oh, we used a QD poly...it gives you up to 12" open areas. I quilted right over the photos and it was not distracting. The stiff interfacing needed to be tacked down, leaving it unquilted would have been a mistake on this quilt.

Good luck!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Thank you for your info. I didn't get to the quilt yet but it is on this morning. I will be glad to get it finished and as with a lot of quilts it has been a learning curve.

My next quilt is and Alaskan Photo Album. That will also take some thinking to get a design through the "photo" sections. But they are fabric with no backing so it will be much easier.

Does anyone have phots of any Alaskan quilts they have done?

Have a great day everyone.

Originally posted by calaquilts

.....Does anyone have phots of any Alaskan quilts they have done?

Lisa Moore, in Sitka Alaska designs patterns to fit the Alaska wildlife and scenes that were created from the Last Frontier fabric line by Kaufman. I've made several quilts from the Last Frontier fabric collection using her patterns.

Click on this link and scroll down about half way and you can see her many types "Alaska Photo Album" and her "I Spy" patterns and how these patterns are used to fussy cut the fabric to fit in the frames. Are these the ideas you are looking for?

http://www.quiltswithatwist.com/

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Holly, Who's the cutie posing with Alex Anderson inside the quilted heart??? :)

Thanks for asking. That is Sylvia, the lady we made the quilt for. She is beating leukemia! A group of us have been going to Alex's retreat for years and we've gotten quite close so when she was diagnosed a couple of years ago, we did what we do best and made this quilt for her. Sylvia entered it in her local county fair and it took 2nd place in the group quilt category!

Yes, these are the quilts. I was just wondering what quilt design to put on the "Photo Album" and Majestic Horses" quilt. The fabric is so beautiful I don't think a lot of quilting would do it justice. I tried to check what they have on the ones pictures on this link and it looks like a lot of meandering. Have you quilted any of these?

Archived