Need thread suggestions

Neither Superior nor Signature has cotton in the color I want. Aurifil has a perfect match but it is a 50-weight cotton, and I'm reluctant to use a 50 weight on my longarm. This is an enormous quilt with hundreds of individually appliqued pieces to outline stitch, and she wants the minimal spaces not covered in applique to be micro stippled.

Bottom line also has a perfect match, but I'm not sure I want to use a polyester thread on a cotton appliqued top.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have seen quite a few very heavily quilted quilts done with Bottom Line lately. One was done with a lot of very small pea sized circle texture, very pretty. Another I saw at a show was done around embroidered blocks, did not overwhelm the hand stitching at all. Try a sample , see how it looks?....

Pat

I too have used Bottom Line in the top & bobbin for a heavily quilted quilt. You could also consider the YLI silk thread... the 100 weight sews fine on a longarm and gives great texture. As outlining for the applique, it would barely show up and it would be perfect for microstippling. Nancy in Tucson

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use ANY of the 50 weight threads...regardless of the brand...or the flavor of cotton or poly or rayon. However, I don't use rayon's as much as some, but that's because I don't care for the feel not because it doesn't work in the longarm. In fact I have tons of Rayon threads that I should sell....:P;)

Both Bottom Line or So Fine in the Superior Threads line, Tiger Silks, YLI Silks, Aurifil and any of these would make a marvelous mico stipple..you do not want a thick thread for this and you actually would have better luck using one of these.

Now if you or she are trying to produce a 100% cotton thread and fabric quilt, then these won't work. you choice of thread won't look as pretty in cottons as they lay flat in my opinion and it doesn't meld with the fabrics as well as the others.

Archived