Perfect quilting shoe

First, let me say I have bad feet - three surgeries, yada yada yada. My quilt studio is on the lower level of our house so I stand on a carpeted concrete floor when I'm quilting. I've tried padded mats and wearing good supportive shoes, but my feet still suffered until I found the perfect shoe for me from Easy Spirit. These are sandals with 1 1/2-2 inches of padded sole. They are honestly the most comfortable shoes I have EVER worn and I can stand and quilt for hours without my feet hurting. Does this sound like an infomercial? Oh, well, they have made such a differnce for me I just have to pass it on. They are heelrisers from Easy Spirit. I got them from the online store. Check them out!:)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These look very comfortable. I like to say, "Imelda and I always need a new pair of shoes!" If you remember when the Phillipine palace was raided it was found that Imelda Marcos had 1060 pair of shoes! I don't have that many, but I'm always on the lookout for comfortable shoes, having had several foot surgeries also. I'm going to look for these shoes next time I go to town. Thanks for the tip, Julie!

Oddly I've found the perfect shoe for me this weekend. I had loved crocs until they started making them in lots of different countries. I can't find a black pair in my size made in either Italy or Bosnia (both have softer plastic and less sharp edges than the others I have found) so I've been looking for a new option. I love having bare feet and have found Vibram five fingers to be the most amazingly comfortable things I have ever worn. One reviewer described them as the most expensive socks he had ever bought and well, he isn't far wrong, but I love them.

Doesn't it make a huge difference when you get your shoes right?

Ferret

Good to know! Here's something to add... When I was at MQS this year, I walked past the "Happy Feet" vendor booth and tried their insoles and wow! It felt wonderful to have these insoles while walking the rest of my MQS visit. Most of you know I suffer from chronic pain in my right foot due to a broken calcaneous bone. I fear my pain will live with me forever, but these insoles really helped cushion my feet

When you find something that works, that's all that matters. I have had 3 foot operations. I go for comfort first in shoes before beauty. I can't wear high heels at all and am most comfortable in sneakers or sandals.

Charlotte

I bought a pair of these last summer and they are sooooo comfortable. My biggest problem was deciding what colour to buy but I ended up with the magenta pink!

http://happylookslike.com/index.php?cat=collections&col=Classic

Check them out - they really are wonderful.:D

Edited to add - you can even insert orthotics in the sole of these and they give you a kind of rocking motion when you walk because of the support.

What great timing! I've just spent the better part of the last two (now 3) days working on my younger GS quilt... He will be 13 June 8, so I'm on a deadline, and didn't have to be anywhere for 4 days! YAY!

The problem is, with the new/not so new hip, my left knee going bad, and the left hip poopin' out too, chronic swelling in my ankles, and lots of pain all around, I spend almost as much time with my feet propped up just so I can get back up and quilt!

I've been secretly looking for a good comfortable pair of shoes for the last two years - they are either too tight, not enough support, too ugly, etc. You all know the drill!

Thanks ladies! I will look into these options! Now, does anyone know of a good bra that doesn't bind on your Hyiatal Hernia? ( I can't spell Hyiatal) I would like something that works like an underwire, but NOT an underwire... I had a reduction a few years back and I can't seem to get a good one to fit. - Yes I've been fitted and I hate the ones they suggested. I'd rather go without! and that's really not an option in public! LOL

Thanks for the info on the Easy Spirit; I'm going to try them. I have had plantar faciitis on both feet for about three years and have been wearing ONLY Z-Coil shoes during that time. Without them I wouldn't be walking (I am avoiding surgery). Unfortunately, they are fairly ugly and I can only wear long pants with them to still be somewhat presentable. I am going to try the Easy Spirit; perhaps I'll end up with two shoes to wear. To show you the ugliness,

http://www.zcoil.com

but they have given me mobility for three years so ugly was a minor concern.

I like the Mary Jane Crocks with an insert called Happy Feet. Happy feet is sold in sport equipment stores that cater to hikers. the lighter weight insert is blue in color. It seems to have stops heal pain for me. I've also had surgery for hammer toe. then my other favorites is anything by Ecco. they are around 100+ but last many years. currently I have a sporty pair in black. It has Receptor Technology. I walked all over the MQS and Road to California and no foot pain. Ecco makes great sandals with velcro so they are very adjustable and very cushioned. Once you know you size and type of Ecco's you like you can get them on Ebay and save quite a bit. I've not had any shoes from Ecco that could not be worn right away rather than broken in. I was a school teacher in elementary school and had to stand up almost all day so I know my comfortable shoes. Ha Ha

This is very interesting. I quilt and do just about anything barefoot and I am developing some pretty thick skin on my feet. I been a barefoot girl all my life. I had a look at the VibramFiveFingers and they look like they could fit the bill for me, especially being washable. I can't wear sneakers, and just in general hate a closed shoe.

Linda, Small world (once again). We've been in Burnsville for over 30 years and rather like it here. Where does your daughter live now?

Monika, I prefer open shes also but have had to wear the uglies. I really don't think I could wear the Vibram... they don't look comfortable to me; I think my toes would be itching!

I was about to post my "greatest shoe" find this morning It's the BMT - I'm telling you they're heaven. They're sometimes referred to as "nursing shoes". They take all the pressure off the ball of your foot and the heel. They make you immediately stand up straight. When I tried them on at the store I just started laughing they felt sooo good. Yes, they're pricey, but really worth it. You can find them at the walking company and other specialty shoe stores. Be careful buying over the internet - each style has a slightly different fit.

Pat Schafer

Jabaro, My daughter now lives in South Carolina!! Since she lived in Mn, she has lived in Tomball, Texas, Vesailles, Ohio (really close to me) and now in Fort mill, SC..... She's a travel'in girl!! I think they are staying put now....they love it down there! She didn't like Mn.....too cold for her blood!:) linda

Gable, I don't have knee or leg problems, but the Z-Coils are supposed to aid in relieving knee, hip, and back pain also. The link I provided is their front page and not all their shoes are that ugly. I have two pair, one black and a second white that look like tennis shoes except for the spring heels. Perhaps just wearing them for quilting would help with your pain. They are heavy shoes, about 3 lbs total so.... Hope you find something to help.

Barb

This is a really timely topic for me. I just had surgery on both my ankles (yes, both at once:( and I am wearing the infamous black boots. 2-1/2 more weeks of these monsters. This is the second time I have had ankle surgery. I hope this surgery works. If not I will have to have ankle reconstructive surgery:(

I have been wearing "mule" type shoes for months and months. The only thing that did not rub on my ankles. I also have artificial knees so wear only flats. Easy Spirit and New Balance both make mules.

Where can I find HappyFeet?

The Vibrams are odd no doubt about it. If you like bare feet they are great. My toes do sometimes mention the odd feeling under them but I think it is because I am forgetting there are shoes there than wondering what I have stuck to my foot. I guess it catches me every couple of days. As soon as I look down my brain seems to make sense of what me foot was saying. Now I come to think about it, it's usually when I am concentrating on something else. I found it weird having something between my toes at first but that wore off in a couple of hours. As with many things it's about finding what works for you. I have a lot less trouble with my legs if I don't wear shoes, so these seemed to make sense. My other half has problems when he doesn't have shoes and needs things with a fairly thick sole.

Ferret

Again, timing here is good...Thanks to everyone -- I'm going to check out all these options. I did buy Z-Coils and I liked them at first, but they really didn't help my feet issues -- they are good for knees and hips though.

2nd foot surgery is tomorrow and then I've promised myself to buy only "good" shoes. You only have one set of feet to get you around so take care of them!

Archived