Perfect quilting shoe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anywears or Crocs whichever you know them by, are murder on my feet and legs....I can wear them when washing the dog, or changing the hose, but for shopping, or standing long times, wow they really hurt me. So I too have gone back to either going totally barefooted while quilting or my good pair of athletic shoes are the things for me. HOWEVER I do have a pair of steeltoed work boots that are the shoe of choice in the winter time...and they have a very comfy sole.

I'll jump in here. I can't wear crocs very much either. When I wear them in the house I get a little electric shock when I touch stuff. I guess they make me build up static electricity! I haven't found the right shoe for me yet....I keep switching from flip-flops to tennis shoes whenever one or the other pair gets uncomfortable!

I usually alternate shoes; if I don't my feet start to ache. Alternating in the summer is easy: I go from Crocs to Birkenstocks to bare foot (I have a padded mat on a wood floor) and just continually switch. I also have a pair of Dansko Professionals that I LOVE, but they're just a tad too high with where my machine is set now.

I have a really bad hip from getting bucked off a horse and landing on hard-packed ground over ten years ago that acts up periodically. This weekend was one of those periods and the first I've had so severely since getting my machine. I think it was because I'm cross-hatching small blocks and not really moving anything except my upper body.

My remedy....a gin & tonic:D

The vibram things look like you should be scuba diving:P I LOVE the MBT M.Walk in hot pink though...those things are CUTE!;) and only $245...YIKES:o

Danskos are what many Chefs were because they are on their feet long hours on hard floors. They are approve by the good old foot Docs Assoc. They are pricier, but extremely comfortable and last a long time. They also help with your posture too. I own a pair and love them. My DD wore them in Culinary school and then in college almost everyday. After 4 years and her wearing them almost everyday we had to buy a new pair because the leather upper was starting to give way.

I like to quilt barefoot, and have no feet pain, but have some pronation (sp?) not totally flat. Sometimes I put a cushion mat underfoot, to help since I have tile floors. But I love the feel of the cold tile floor, since it really cools me off when I get a bit of a Hot Flash...

Bonnie, I thought I was the only one on this forum who wore steel toed boots! Well, except for maybe Lisa E. She works at the mines too. My steel toes are on 95% of the time. I wear tall Matterhorns with the metatarsal guard...and love them!

Just call me the Mama of 7/baseball/softball coach/Materials Engineer/quilter who loves her steel toed boots. I went to a funeral last week...and had to buy a pair of black heeled sandals to wear with my slacks, at my husband's request. How strange is that?! I own one black skirt that I even wear my boots with! Just fits me, I guess.

Well I guess I fit into the steel toe club. I have a pair of Hytest slipons and love them. With a high arch they give wonderful support. Because they end up with Fiberglass on them I do not take them home. As an ME for 20+ years in heavy industry (steel, glass, paper, etc.)

I usually wear my Altec hikers in the fall and winter at home. They are 20 years old and only replaced the laces on them.

When I quilt on the long arm at the rental site, I usually end up kicking off the shoes or boots and quilt being bare (sock) footed.

My husband laughs at me when it comes to shoes.

He works retail and says that there are times he sees women buying 6-8 pairs of shoes at a time. He is happy that I do not have a shoe collection.

Believe me Kristina, I know what it is like to have to buy "dressy" shoes for an event. Dressy to me is a pair of CLARKS. I make them work with dress pants.

I gave up my steel toes after I saw what happens then they fail. At the drag strip I had gone over to wearing very sturdy hiking boots, but my latest pair aren't great for pushing cars in they tend to rub when I do that (and only that). I am going to try the Vibrams next meeting. I might managed to get a foot run over by a car (and there is quite a lot of evidence that that shoe you are wearing at the time does a lot of the damage!) but really there is a very low risk of dropping anything on my feet so they should be OK. The only question is how badly will I stick to the track :)

Ferret

Ferret, Check out the Matterhorns. Mine are 8 1/2" high, full lace up boot. Waterproof. Thinsulate insulated. All season boots. And they make ladies and Mens sizes. The men's are taller. More like 11". My husband wears them too. The best part about the metatarsal guard is that it is "hinged" to the toe guard. No trying to form it to your foot as you wear them. The old style were awful. These new ones...wow...again, I love them.

Hey Kristina & Ferret, like you, I'm a quilter, too, and I have two pairs of steel toed boots. (I am required to wear steel-toed boots when working away from the office out in the project construction sites). One pair of leather Redwings that are about 14 years old (and look their age) and a pair of Carolina waterproof hiking boots that have steel toes in them. I really like the Carolina hiking boots --- super duper comfy and not big and clunky like the Redwings.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Bonnie, I thought I was the only one on this forum who wore steel toed boots! Well, except for maybe Lisa E. She works at the mines too. My steel toes are on 95% of the time. I wear tall Matterhorns with the metatarsal guard...and love them!

I live in my boots (Schmidt workwear)just about 24/7 as well....don't work in a mine, so I don't have the really fancy ones...the weight load for toe failure is 800 pounds so I wouldn't be able to wear them around heavy equipment, but around the ranch or small equipment they are great. And with a welder for a hubby most of my life, I never know when I'm going to get called out to help him....and working around cows and horses, well feet get stepped on. Nope you can take the cowgirl out of the country, but ya can't take the country out of the cowgirl. although I do wear Tennies and VERY rarely heels, now that I've lost the weight in my feet...but nope the shoe of choice is either barefeet or boots.

Darn, I'm kin to a duck, have a couple of webbed toes on each foot. The trendy Vibram footware will not fit me and my little duck feet! Oh well, I wear Soft Spots most of the time, they have a gel insole that will contour to the exact shape of your foot. You can find them at www.footsmart.com.

LOL Kristina! I don't like to sew on my DSM wearing shoes. I prefer barefoot. I think I like the feel of the pedal against my bare feet. Makes me feel like I'm "one with with the sewing machine".... know what I mean?? But standing at the longarm, I gotta wear shoes because my broken foot cannot handle not having the arch support.

Archived