Considering a Longarm...

I am totally new to longarm quilting and seriously considering purchasing one this year. I will be going to the MQX show in Manchester, NH next month. I have received every brochure and researched lots of companies and keep coming back to APQS. Does anyone have any advice on what I should consider while hands on testing? Also, I am concerned that there isn't a dealer within driving distance if I do purchase a APQS. Has anyone had problems that couldn't be solved via telephone?

Hope these questions aren't too repetitive to everyone...

Thanks for helping!

Barbara (wanna be owner )

Hi Barbara,

I will be working the booth at MQX and I will also be teaching a maintenance class as well. Please come by and see us. I would love to meet you and let you take the machines for a test drive! We have an awesome 800 tech line and can really give you support if needed. We can talk all about that at the show too. :)

Take care,

Hi Barbara,

My Millenium will arrive on the 6th. Can't hardly wait! My husband and I went to Innovations, the long arm convention in Tacoma, WA last year, and tried out every machine that was there. When I first started looking, I was sure I wanted an APQS machine. Then the Gammills started to look better. At Innovations when I tried the gammil I was so alarmed at how noisy it was! Being a musician, I have sensitive ears. I didn't get that with the APQS, and I tried 2 different types of machines there. After that I knew that this was the brand I wanted. Since that time I've been reading the longarm blog at longarm@lyris.quiltropolis.com each day. I don't know if it's because people with APQS machines post questions here, not there, or what, but I only see questions about how to fix the other brands of machines on that site. I just get the feeling that there is less maintenance work on the APQS. In the brochure that I received from them, they talk about how re-timing your machine is practically never needed, and yet that seems to come up quite a bit on the other site.

I'm sure that you'll do your research, and I wish you the best in finding out which is the "best" machine for you.

Beth

Hi Barbara,

I just received my LA at the end of April, like you I did all the research for almost a year, and kept coming back to the APQS machines. The only LA dealer around by me is an APQS and almost 3 hours away. So my girlfriend and I left early and spent the whole day with Sue at the Quilting connection. I fell in love with the APQS machine as soon as I gave it a test drive. I couldn't afford the Millie right a way so I bought a used freedom from the factory in Iowa. I hope going to the MQX will help you decide as to what machine. I really like the construction of everything on my APQS and all the help you get no matter how small the problem is.

The great thing is that when I am ready I can trade my Freedom in for a Millie. I guess my suggestion to you is don't worry about how you are using the machine but how smooth it moves (glides), how loud or noisey is the machine, the structure of the table, how easy is it to do maintence by yourself with help from the company or how fast parts are sent to you.

One last thing, if you do go with the APQS LA, you can choose what size table you want. If you have plenty of space get the 14 foot table, (just my thought)

Have fun and let us know how your test drive goes.

Good Luck

Char

Barbara,

Be sure to go talk to Mark, he is the best and has been with the company a long time ( he started when he was a wee tot):) He is being shy, he really knows these machine inside and out. We do have an awesome tech line and this chat line is so helpful. You can alway find one of us here.

The best advise is to follow your instincts. You keep coming back to AQPS for a reason. Just do it!! Have fun at MQX, get your machine, then you can relax and float all the way through the show! We have a great monthy special that is about to end! Maybe you could take advantage of it. Then just take classes at MQX ;)

Myrna

Myrna

Where do you live? We have reps all over the US. APQS is always a phone call away from any question and the chat line is wonderful too for getting answers anytime. The one thing that convinced me to buy a Millennium was the horizontal wheels that lock onto to the track. Very smooth and accurate sewing. I tried all the machines too at a show and the one thing that was very noticable to me was the different vibration levels on all the machines and the sound of the machines. APQS had the least vibration in my opinion and a wonderful motor sound. When you try out other machines, put you hands on the handles and wiggle the machine left to right. You will be surprised how many of the machines do this fish tail wiggle. This you don't want. Try APQS machines, no fish tail. I love my machine, it makes me be the best quilter I can be.

Hi Barbara

I'm a new Millie owner (since March), and I love it! I looked and studied long and hard before making my selection and nearly bought a Gammil - their advertising is really persuasive. But I was fortunate to be able to evaluate 3 separate types of machines side by side at a local quilt show and these are the things that made a difference to me. The stitch quality, especially on the points is superior on the APQS, the electronic roller advance is a really nice feature, the ability to handle different kinds of threads without breaking (I talked to all the thread dealers at the show and they all said that APQS machines have by far the least problems with tension and breakage), the plug and play components that are easy to replace (vs sending the whole machine for service), the ability to adjust the rollers/machine movement to your comfort level, the lighter weight machine, and being belt driven so that you don't need to adjust timing all the time. These were all features that helped me make my decision. Some of the plusses on the competition side ended up not really being benefits in the end. They had free setup and more training time for example. I found that the APQS setup instructions were very easy to follow, and the evening that I spent setting it up really helped me understand the dynamics of how the machine and table work. So setting it up myself was easy and educational. Service and training have both been excellent. Hope this helps.:)

APQS is by far, an awesome machine and a valued partner in your business. Even when you have studied all the materials and finally believe you've made the right decision, the anticipation and the anxiety while you're waiting are a killer. But then the baby comes, the delivery is so much easier than you thought it would be, and well, it's like a real baby! Except...it's home every night, works with you whenever you want it to, and never pitches a fit. Well, if and when it does, the folks at APQS are always there to help you. They even check the boards on the weekend to see if people are having problems, so they don't have to wait for Monday!

Yes, it's a big step, but if you do all your homework and you love what you do, how can you possibly go wrong? The machine is lightweight. The entire package goes together in about 6 hours and all of us who purchased talk about what we are doing, what is working, how to accomplish our tasks...it's been wonderful! I hope to see you at MQX and maybe even the booth!

Cynthia

Barbara, I am a new owner of a millie, bought in NOV 2005. I love this machine. I live at least 3 hours from the dealers in my area. But they have been very helpful over the phone and APQS has been wonderful for tech support.

This is a great machine and I think you will be very happy with it.

Barbara:

Just so you'll know, I've had my Millennium since May 2002 and I have not had any problem or adjustment that could not be solved over the phone.

Our machines are workhorses and so user friendly, not tempermental, easy adjustments, and APQS's service department is friendly, understanding, helpful, and the most knowledgeable in the industry. I LOVE APQS.....and am proud to be an APQS girlie girl!!!

Happy Quilting.....:D

• 5 months later...

As I have stated in other threads, I live in Newfoundland Canada. For someone like myself who dream of owning a longarm machine, it seems almost impossible. First I wouldn't even know where to purchase a machine and second, there are no " teaching methods" available to me. The cost for me, for what I want, would be almost 40,000.00 CDN. Then I would probably have to travel to learn how to operate the machine, That would mean me airfare to somewhere.:(:(

Is there a magic fairy out there somewhere that could shed some light on my cloud and tell me there is something available in Newfoundland??

I know this would make a great business opportunity for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to start a LA business and have been considering this for over a year now. I have been a quilter for over 8 years now and love the hobby. If someone could answer some questions offer advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have lots of questions. I hope that someone can answer these questions.

1. How long did it take for you to feel comfortable quilting others quilts.

2. How many quilts can a person realistically do in a week?

3. What types of advertising do you do?

4. Are there any Longarm guilds in Omaha, NE?

5. How can person find out if the market in their area is already saturated with LA quilters?

6. How did you know that this was what you wanted to do

and make a full time business out of it?

7. I have a fulltime job outside the home. My children are grown and gone now. I would really like to make LA my full time job but of course would have to replace the lost income. Is this realistic?

I had one quilter in my research tell me that LA quilting has been very hard on her body???? Another tell me no.

Thanks!

Carrie

Can you tell I maybe a little nervous about this venture.

Hi Carrie~

Very important questions! ;)

The amount of time that it takes before you are comfortable with taking in quilts will depend on how much time you spend with your machine. It isn?t the same for everyone. But one thing I can tell you for sure is to Practice, Practice, Practice & take classes or workshops & CD's on LA quilting. A few months is certainly reasonable. :)

Offer the skills that you feel that you are comfortable with at first & slowing add to your "bag of tricks". If you are not comfortable with feathers in the beginning, wait until you are. :D

Regarding how many quilts you can do, well the good news is that it just keeps getting better! 3 or 4 a week is very part time. After a year or 2 you can double that if you have the time to commit. You will get a feel for it. One year I topped over 400, so it varies for everyone, & just how hard you want to work. ;)

You have lots of options with advertising, most people start with guild ads & or newsletters. But I am a firm believer in just showing your work! Guilds, Quilt shops, co-workers etc. Also volunteering to do charity quilts is a great way to get some practice time in & gives back the gift to others in need. Your first customer base may be the people making the charity quilts, lots of possibilities!:)

I would talk to the quilt shops & get to know who the LA quilters are in your area & ask about the LA guilds, a great way to network! Ask them what their schedule is like.

Or call the Quilt shops to get the names of LA quilters & ask the turn around time.

Starting out LA quilting part time may be a good thing at first until you gain your skills & customer base, you will soon know when there isn?t enough hours in the day to keep up with all your quilting jobs that it is a green light for GO! ;):P:D:cool:

Feel free to drop me a line if you have questions Carrie, I am here to help you anyway I can.

Or you have some awesome support on the dealer page~http://www.apqs.com/central1.htm

Linda

You should contact our APQS Representative in South Dakota.

JoAnn Hoffman

Paha Sapa Traders Quilting Service P.O. Box 637, Hill City, SD 57745

605-574-4885 | pahasapa@enetis.net | http://www.dakota-designs.com

She will give you a great demo and guide you with all of your questions. You can ask her about how she runs her business and see how she is set up!

Archived