antique penny squares

I have antique, 12 " muslin squares embroidered with turkey red satin stitch. The blocks were made by my grandmother (when she was 7 years old) 1901 depicting the Pan American Exposition, held in Buffalo, New York, USA. The blocks are not joined.to any sashing. The questions I have are 1) What do I do with the blocks to not destroy the historical value 2) Being these blocks are over 100 years old, should I place a second square behind the antique one for stability (the antique square is in very good condition considering the age) I would like to machine sew the quilt top and then preferably have the top long arm quilted. I don't have a LA. Any advice ? Robin

In my opinion (and I am not a quilt historian) you should piece the blocks together by machine without sashing, and have it hand quilted. You don't say if the squares are pieced by hand or machine, but if they are pieced by hand, that can be problematic for a longarmer, as the process does put some tension on the top. It really depends on the condition of the top and the stitching...........

Hi Robin---

What a treasure you have!! Lots of options for you with these squares. Before you make a decision you might contact an AQS certified appraiser for advice (see their website for someone in your state) or contact the textile curator at a local museum for guidance. You can make the top historically accurate by researching at the library. Most redwork is sashed with solid red or a tiny red print (careful of dye transfer especially with reds!) Also, the number of squares you have would impact the size of the top--lots of squares and a good sized sashing and border will, of course, make a nice big top. Or no sashing and a small border or only binding could be striking as a smaller wall quilt. What a great heirloom for your family--be sure to document everything on your label.

My last guild meeting had a presentation by a member who is a nationally recognized AQS appraiser. She showed us some of her private collection dating back to 1850. Her advice for someone deciding to finish a top from the past was to think about the quilter and how happy she would be to know someone cared enough to finish and display her handiwork instead of leaving it in a closet or letting it deteriorate in a trunk. I like that thought!

Post pictures of your project if you can.

Linda in Olympia

The blocks are individual blocks, none of the blocks are sewn together in any way. Also the blocks are yellowed to a very "light tea color", a few have some stains, and one has a rust ring fome a traditional embroidery hoop. Should I make any attempt to clean them ? I also just found out that my great grandmother Rosa Weig, not my grandmother Louisa made the blocks. Thanks Robin

Are you using antique fabric for the piecing? Remember when you use a new fabric in a quilt, the historic value is dated from the date of the last fabric used. You might do some reading up on that to make sure I am telling you correctly. For me, if I had some antique blocks and wanted to display them or enjoy them, that wouldn't matter to me. But if you are trying to keep them historically correct, you would need to use fabric from the time period that the blocks were created. I'm not sure about stabilizing the blocks. Just thought you should check about the fabric before you put them together. Good luck, sounds like my kind of project.

Mary Beth

Just thought I would add in what I have heard also....

If you now have this "machine" pieced or quilted it now dates for here.

If you want to stay in that period, it also means a bunch hand work.

Not machine quilting either.

I did just do an antique treasure for a customer. She brought over her

mother, who had this quilt that had been in her cedar chest for over

70 years. It was huge, all Hand pieced and some emboridery too. Her

Great-Great Grandmother had made it. Did a very nice (and sguare!) job,

beautiful piece! (Wish it were mine!) I explained all about dating quilts,

and the customer still had me do it. I also finished the binding for her.

Now she can display it and enjoy it!

P.S. She is bringing me another one in 2 weeks - I can't wait to see it!

Archived