Oh gosh. No worries. We have lots of wildfires caused by gazillions of lightning strikes. Most of Alaska is wilderness so they just let them burn. But if it's close to a community or something that needs to be protected, they take evasive action. Thanks for the concern but I am OK. Wildfires in Alaska are the norm during summer. It's very dry up here in the interior where I live. It is a tinderbox ready to go any time.

Shana that sounds like fun. I don't think I'll get any quilting done this weekend either! Tomorrow we head home. It will take 13 - 14 hours. That is the worst part of vacation. I'm finishing up laundry now and then I'll pack it all up. Hopefully it will go smoothly. Early to bed and hope for a calm drive tomorrow. I may try to make a pit stop at IKEA in Woodbridge, VA. I need some storage for my threads and I may be able to find something there! Shhhh don't tell hubby, he wouldn't approve!

When we were scuba diving alot...and we knew we were going into the high mountains I would hit the B6 vitamins a couple of days earlier....now I know it doesn't stop one from getting "West Nile", but they didn't seem to bite me as much or bug me as much either.... Now was it the vitamins or the high mountain air that was making me totally delirious... Yeah me too, I vote for the air.;)

But the best stuff as smelly as it is "OFF"...it gives off such a glorious aroma for snuggling under the stars....:(

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

When I'm staying at the cabin I'll be swatting mosquitos.

Memorial Day week (I think in 1980) DH and I fished in the McKenzie River in the NW Territories; not as far north as Shana. The ice was breaking up on the river and we had to wear our snowmobile suits while out in the boat, but while on land we were in T-shirts and fighting a hungary swarm of huge mosquitoes. They grow 'em big up north! When we lived in Texas the folks there used to say the winter wasn't cold enough to kill the mosquitoes. HA! I don't think it can get cold enough to kill the pesky little rascals!

Originally posted by Bonnie

But the best stuff as smelly as it is "OFF"...it gives off such a glorious aroma for snuggling under the stars....:(

Oh I know that stuff is nasty, but it works!

I might have to try Listerine. If it doesn't keep the bugs from biting,at least I will smell like minty fresh breath! :D

Originally posted by yankiequilter

......fighting a hungary swarm of huge mosquitoes. They grow 'em big up north! When we lived in Texas the folks there used to say the winter wasn't cold enough to kill the mosquitoes. HA! I don't think it can get cold enough to kill the pesky little rascals!

Yes, these pesky buggers have a very short span of time (a few months during summer) so when they are alive, they are furiously hungry!!!

Mosquitos just love me.I was visiting my brother in Flagstaff last fall and was just swarmed with mosquitos during an outside meal. He insisted that it was the first time EVER they had been bothered with the critters. Like I said.....they just love me.:D

I live in Florida where they grow to bomber size. We call them military monsters because they have stripes on them you can see from afar. However you can keep them at bay by eating one clove of chopped garlic each day. Just mince it up real fine and swallow with a glass of water. don't chew! They won't light or buzz you at all and really....you won't smell either! It works, try it.

Archived