MQS Quilters???

I have a problem and maybe I should say 'had' a problem. When I was at MQS I took 2 classes every day and they were wonderful and I met a lot of new quilters. To me that is the best!

On Friday I took "Whole-cloth Class" w/Karen McTavish and it was wonderful. But with that class I was to bring fabric....my marking pens.........and a long ruler, which I did. Then while I was there I also bought the rulers she suggested for the whole-cloth to make things easier since I plan on making more of them.

I had my bag and my ruler from home leaning against the wall until I was ready to leave for the day. When I left I had it on the table and the rest of the rulers were leaning against the table. Well, I picked up everything off my chair and the rulers against the table and left my ruler laying on the table.

There was another class immediatly after ours so I couldn't go back in to get it and so I waited to see if anyone to it to the lost and found. I checked w/the Sheraton and MQS and nothing.........and that was on Saturday morning.

I had my name and address on it also and yet someone stole it. A ruler???? Can anyone imagine a quilter stealing an 8 1/2"x 24" ruler??? I'm having a hard time beliving this happened. I have waited this long because I kept thinking whoever has it would send it to me. But I guess they like it as much as I did.....so now I have to find another one.

I am sure going to be more carefull in what I take to classes at MQS from now on.

I thought quilters were the best and they, of ALL people could be trusted. I'm having a hard time with that now.

Oh Renae, sorry to hear of the loss of the ruler. Remember though, theres a barrel in every art and craft and the old saying still goes about the rotten apple. Don't let it sour you towards any classes not even MQS. While some piddly things like this bugg me, I try to just pray for the person who has or took it.

Hugs..

RitaR

Renae, yes there are bad people out there...and its hard and sad to say they too are quilters....several years ago at MQX I had a purple canvas shoulder bag that was custom made for me that would hold a 27x36 cutting mat, numberous rulers, rotary cutters, and places to put fabric and stuff. I too took this to MQX for classes and its had Siana's first quilt in it...she had taken a class from Gail Wallace and it was just about finished, the cutting matt, a 12 x12 ruler, a 81/2 x 24 and I can't remember all else but the most important was Siana's first quilt.

IT WAS STOLEN and it was never returned...it too had my name and address, telephone number, and it was never turned into the hotel either. It was a very sad day...and it took me a few weeks to get over that one. So needless to say this time tha I had to take supplies, I took stuff I didn't care if it got lost of stolen....:(

I would agree that there is still a fair chance that who ever has it hasn't noticed yet. Especially if it got tidied into one of the teachers piles. Often teaching kit doesn't get a good going through until they teach the same class again. So it may yet turn up.

However. quilters sadly are not all as honest as you might hope. Talk to any trader you know well and they will tell you how much stock they lose at shows. I only speak to smallish groups and I know how often I lose stock. When I started I used to fill in sales by how much money I had taken but I quickly realised my stock level wasn't what I expected. Now I count it out and then count is back in. I would say I lose something at most talks. Usually it's just a pattern or two but some talks a lot of things go walk about it's very frustrating because really most quilters are honest and I want to let them browse and show their friends what htye are thinking of buying but at the same time I can't afford the amount I lose.

Ferret

I agree with everyone. I would ask Karen if she has an extra ruler. When I took a class from her, she had stuff all over the shop. I don't know how she keeps track of her personal gear (love her). We believe all quilters are honest and I think the majority are but not all people who go to the shows or browse the stores are dedicated day in day out quilters. I teach quilted totes and purses at my LQS and leave several samples at the store. Last month we noticed that one of the samples were missing, the owner felt awful but it wasn't her fault. I always wondered how much gets "shoplifted" at the shows, everyone is busy and everything is so in the open. I think I would be totally stressed out if I had a booth.

Renae,

Sorry to hear that you lost your ruler. As some have said before there usually is a bad apple. Just because they are quilters, doesn't mean they are Aunt Bea from Mayberry. I also agree that you should contact Karen McT to see if the TA picked up your ruler and put it with Karen's things. I know it can get crazy trying to scoop up all of the tools at the end of class to get another teacher set up. It may just be an honest mistake.

Sorry Renae,

I was supposed to be watching out for the bad quilters and I fell asleep... When I woke up they were all around me, but I didn't see no ruler!

Seriously, I know how you're feeling. When something like this happens to me, it's not the item that was stolen - things can be replaced - it's the disappointment in the person who took it.

We have to take the attitude of the third grader who, when asked by his teacher, "If you had five apples and I took three of them, which one of us is better off?" The little boy thought for a moment and finally said, "Well..., I would be better off because even though I'd only have two apples, you'd be a thief!"

Hope you get you're ruler back...

mrmargie

Sorry for your experience with a possible "bad apple quilter". Contact Karen McTavish because she may have them mixed up with her stuff and doesn't know it. You just never know.

I had a friend who worked in a quilt shop. Quilters would come in and steal bolts of fabric. Mind you these were the skinny bolts that the fabric would slide off. There was a blind spot in the store that the clerks really couldn't see what was happening. The clerks would find the empty cardboard bolts tucked in the back of the bottom shelf.

One year at the show in Williamsburg (Mid-Alantic which is now in Hampton), some quilter emptied a whole plastic container of fat quarters into a bag and walked away. It was so crowded there that no one realized what happened until it was too late.

Unfortunately, not every one is honest no matter what the craft, profession or business we are in or need to deal with...it is just a sad reality.

Good luck on finding your rulers.

Cheryl

Originally posted by lym95

Sorry Renae,

I was supposed to be watching out for the bad quilters and I fell asleep... When I woke up they were all around me, but I didn't see no ruler! mrmargie

Brad, :P You are so clever!!! :P :P ROFLOL!

Renae, I am sorry this happened to you. I am not sure what to think about this. It is disappointing. I have never quite understood how someone can steal or take something. In fact, our local quilt shop has had beautiful class samples that were made by the shop owner and tacked to the classroom wall and would you believe that people have had the nerve to pull these off the wall and stolen them. How can people do this? It's incomprehensible.

I'm sorry this happened to you, most people are decent, only a few are not.

Teaching my own children honesty, under all circumstances, was easy when they were little, more problematic when they were older... But it can be accomplished even in these times....

I helped a friend watch her booth at a show, she had so much walk out the previous show, she didn't make her break even mark....

I think I hear of more of the morality that it's somehow ok to take something that isn't your own in the present times, but don't know that any more is taken than in the old days....

Can any of you imagine a world in which NO ONE ever took something that wasn't theirs, money, goods, time, personal wellbeing(rape, assault), and of course the ultimate, Life????

I'm sure I will never understand a world where people are taught these things are somehow OK....

Be happy that you are appalled at this behavior, and willing to believe in the goodness of most.

Smile for the day, Pat

You are all right I should get in touch with Karen McT because it could be that the TA picked it up by mistake and she got it mixed with her things.

Also, if it isn't the case.........it's not that I have to get another

ruler but that a "quilter" friend??? picked it up and kept it or in other words has yet to return it. I just don't work that way and

am too trusting and I believe in my quiling friends. I guess I should be more cautious........I hate that.

Guest Linda S

It could also be that someone just set it to the side and the janitor who cleaned the room at night trashed it. That would be a real shame, but at least there wouldn't be some nasty thief out there somewhere!

Linda

Archived